Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
My fourteen day return window is up tomorrow, on my six plus. Love the phone, but I have been debating the note 4.

I love iMessage, iOS app quality, and iOS as an operating system.

I love android, but dislike touchwize. Android l look great, but the touchwize preview of android l was disappointment. I like the note for its durability, and the ram available (though the lack of ram in the 6 plus hasn't bothered me yet).

I have owned many android phones, and would love people opinion on this subject.

I use T-Mobile, so I think the boot loader is unlocked.

Thanks again,

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
My fourteen day return window is up tomorrow, on my six plus. Love the phone, but I have been debating the note 4.

I love iMessage, iOS app quality, and iOS as an operating system.

I love android, but dislike touchwize. Android l look great, but the touchwize preview of android l was disappointment. I like the note for its durability, and the ram available (though the lack of ram in the 6 plus hasn't bothered me yet).

I have owned many android phones, and would love people opinion on this subject.

I use T-Mobile, so I think the boot loader is unlocked.

Thanks again,

Just a note(pun intended), Touchwiz can be taken care off by installing a launcher like Nova.

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
IMO, the two aren't even in the same category. The Note series is on its 4th iteration of a 5.5+" phone. This Note 4 seems to be perfect in just about every way. That screen, the camera / photo modes, the processor/RAM, the build quality, etc.

I've owned the iPhone 6 and played with the iPhone 6 Plus. I pre-ordered the Note 4 immediately after playing around with the iPhone 6 Plus.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
IMO, the two aren't even in the same category. The Note series is on its 4th iteration of a 5.5+" phone. This Note 4 seems to be perfect in just about every way. That screen, the camera / photo modes, the processor/RAM, the build quality, etc.

I've owned the iPhone 6 and played with the iPhone 6 Plus. I pre-ordered the Note 4 immediately after playing around with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Both are phablets. That being said I understand your sentiment.

So let's say both are in the same category of "work horse".

The note 4 has the spen....great for some.

The six plus has the apps. Apps like documents 5, pdf expert, mindnode, etc. both can be a workhorse phone.

The screen, size, and camera on the six plus is great. You could argue that these two phones are pretty equal in that categories, with the six plus having amazing camera experience, and the note 4 largely untested.

I also realize touch wize can be hidden with an alternative launcher, but the underlining apps and functions remain.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
IMO, I'd strongly recommend you go Note 4. Not because it's that much more capable of a device, but rather that Android and especially the Note series really allow you to taylor the phone to your needs and the way you want to use it. Touch Wiz as noted before can easily be replaced with a new launcher. The great thing is there are a number of such modifications that ca be had and can be used interchangably too. I love Nova Pro but also use two other launchers even if it's just for the heck of it. Easy as flipping a switch.

Everything about the phone can be customized not just in appearance, but more importantly in function and behavior. It takes some time to get used to just having that ability and then over time you'll make changes. Here's a short-list of my modifications and I'm sure it is short as I can't recall all that I've done to make this Smart Phone so very smart and intuitive to how I want to use the device.

For me I started with Nova Launcher. Excellent IMO. Other Apps/Replacements that I have are:
  • Calanders
  • Nova Launcher
  • SMS Messangers
  • Rocket Dialer - way, way faster, better looking and more powerful than the stock dialer.
  • Notifications - I use one called PopUp as I really like the customization capabilities.
  • Airdroid - allows for simple/seamless integration of controlling your phone, text messages, photos, files, etc right from your desktop.
  • SwitchR - Rotation through open apps
  • Llama - Location based configurations. Perhaps the very best reason not to get an iPhone. I have mine set so that when I walk in my office, it changes to screen on always as I have my phone docked. I have my phone automatically forward to my desk phone. Bluetooth switches to my Stereo at the office vs my car. Volumes drop and notifications go way down low.
  • Tasker - Love it. Have it set to launch and do a lot of customer things.
  • YouMail for Voice Mail - great free app that has long since replaced my stock Voice Mail
  • Xperia Z is a great active background
  • PowerAmp - Perhaps the very best sounding music app with Smart EQ
    Presets that remember settings based on playback device
  • iSnycr allows my iTunes to sync seamlessly thus no change needed there.

Widgets that I use are:

• Weatherbug
  • Screen Always On
  • Phone forward with one touch
  • Hot Spot on/off
  • To Do List - Very handy to have active,
  • Assistive Light - great flashlight for bed time
  • Shazam - one touch - great for when I'm in my car - You can "ok google" just about anything too though.

I could go on I'm sure, but overall, as you can see, I love the capabilities of the Note Series and Android in general over iOS devices. It's so nice to review documents, even PDF's that need forms completed and actually be able to do that and then sign it in Blue Ink just like it was a printout. You can't do that as easily if at all on an iOS Device. I literally review documents in Word on my Phone, create a PDF on the spot with a client and have them sign it, then print over to any wifi printer with ease just as if I was at my office. Did I mention things like way better printing capabilities and ease of printing were a huge perk. Integration with the Cloud and Google services is awesome too.

Hope this helps. I'll edit this post with new things as they come top of mind or up in this thread.

----------

I also realize touch wize can be hidden with an alternative launcher, but the underlining apps and functions remain.

The underlying apps remain but there's no impact to performance. Also, you can change ANY of the base apps from the Voice Mail Client to SMS, calender or dialer. In terms of cameras, I can't wait to try the Note 4 as even the Note 3 has a decent camera that when used correctly will rival and beat the iPhone.

Here's a photo from this afternoon. this bird was right outside our kitchen window (fall here thus the dead plant) and it was so calm I was able to open the window and take it's picture very close. This is cropped just a bit to frame it better. Posted in the upper right corner is a 100% crop from the original image.

20141007_122034copy_zps488b1c10.jpg

Exif Data

Camera Maker: SAMSUNG
Camera Model: SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
Image Date: 2014-10-07
Focal Length: 4.13mm (35mm equivalent: 31mm)
Aperture: f/2.2
Exposure Time: (1/120)
ISO equiv: 160
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

Last edited:
Reactions: danimalu017

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Note 4 vs 6 +

IMO, I'd strongly recommend you go Note 4. Not because it's that much more capable of a device, but rather that Android and especially the Note series really allow you to taylor the phone to your needs and the way you want to use it. Touch Wiz as noted before can easily be replaced with a new launcher. The great thing is there are a number of such modifications that ca be had and can be used interchangably too. I love Nova Pro but also use two other launchers even if it's just for the heck of it. Easy as flipping a switch.

Everything about the phone can be customized not just in appearance, but more importantly in function and behavior. It takes some time to get used to just having that ability and then over time you'll make changes. Here's a short-list of my modifications and I'm sure it is short as I can't recall all that I've done to make this Smart Phone so very smart and intuitive to how I want to use the device.

For me I started with Nova Launcher. Excellent IMO. Other Apps/Replacements that I have are:

• Calanders
  • Nova Launcher
  • SMS Messangers
  • Rocket Dialer - way, way faster, better looking and more powerful than the stock dialer.
  • Notifications - I use one called PopUp as I really like the customization capabilities.
  • Airdroid - allows for simple/seamless integration of controlling your phone, text messages, photos, files, etc right from your desktop.
  • SwitchR - Rotation through open apps
  • Llama - Location based configurations. Perhaps the very best reason not to get an iPhone. I have mine set so that when I walk in my office, it changes to screen on always as I have my phone docked. I have my phone automatically forward to my desk phone. Bluetooth switches to my Stereo at the office vs my car. Volumes drop and notifications go way down low.
  • Tasker - Love it. Have it set to launch and do a lot of customer things.
  • YouMail for Voice Mail - great free app that has long since replaced my stock Voice Mail
  • Xperia Z is a great active background
  • PowerAmp - Perhaps the very best sounding music app with Smart EQ

Presets that remember settings based on playback device
  • iSnycr allows my iTunes to sync seamlessly thus no change needed there.

Widgets that I use are:

• Weatherbug
  • Screen Always On
  • Phone forward with one touch
  • Hot Spot on/off
  • To Do List - Very handy to have active,
  • Assistive Light - great flashlight for bed time
  • Shazam - one touch - great for when I'm in my car - You can "ok google" just about anything too though.

I could go on I'm sure, but overall, as you can see, I love the capabilities of the Note Series and Android in general over iOS devices. It's so nice to review documents, even PDF's that need forms completed and actually be able to do that and then sign it in Blue Ink just like it was a printout. You can't do that as easily if at all on an iOS Device. I literally review documents in Word on my Phone, create a PDF on the spot with a client and have them sign it, then print over to any wifi printer with ease just as if I was at my office. Did I mention things like way better printing capabilities and ease of printing were a huge perk. Integration with the Cloud and Google services is awesome too.

Hope this helps. I'll edit this post with new things as they come top of mind or up in this thread.

----------

The underlying apps remain but there's no impact to performance. Also, you can change ANY of the base apps from the Voice Mail Client to SMS, calender or dialer. In terms of cameras, I can't wait to try the Note 4 as even the Note 3 has a decent camera that when used correctly will rival and beat the iPhone.

Here's a photo from this afternoon. this bird was right outside our kitchen window (fall here thus the dead plant) and it was so calm I was able to open the window and take it's picture very close. This is cropped just a bit to frame it better. Posted in the upper right corner is a 100% crop from the original image.

20141007_122034copy_zps488b1c10.jpg

Thanks.

Great photo.

I had to have my six plus replaced today, and the mail in return date has been extended to October 21st... So I have done more time.

Anyway, Imessage has always been big for me...but T-Mobile wifi calling and text may make that less impactful.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Anyway, Imessage has always been big for me...but T-Mobile wifi calling and text may make that less impactful.

I like iMessage simply for the fact that I can pick up an iPhone and then my iPad and continue the same conversation. That however isn't really a big deal though. The only work around but not an issue is that my 8yr daughter who has an Mini iPad Retina likes to "facetime" me so I just simply installed Hangouts and she uses that for me and Facetime for mom and others.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
What about app quality?

I am molecular biologist, so pdf annotation is big. So is being able to design and manipulate photos, figures, and power points in the go.

iOS has some powerful apps for this.

Battery life on my six plus has been great. I wouldn't want to downgrade.

I would loose some of the money I have invested in iOS...but I have invested in android as well.

Poweramp is great...though I use spotify.

Any concern with samsungs financial downturn lately?

How are they in updates?

What about longitivity of the six plus vs note 4?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
What about app quality?

I am molecular biologist, so pdf annotation is big. So is being able to design and manipulate photos, figures, and power points in the go.

iOS has some powerful apps for this.

I'm in the Medical field but branch off into other ventures daily too thus I often edit spreadsheets and pdf's. App quality is spectacular. Again, being able to work on an MS Word Doc and have it look like I'm on a PC is key for me.

Apps overall are equal. I've yet to see something on an iPhone that's better than Android. The market today is keeping up. Even just the other day I installed Cigna Health Care apps on both an Android and iPhone and they are identical.

NoteMSWView_zps8ca616fe.jpg

You can print to any wifi printer, convert the file to a pdf and/or save/share it just like you would on a computer.

printing1_zpsb570e448.jpg

picprinting_zps213f7429.jpg

With the S-Pen it's easy to redact, highlight and sign any document. Here's a screen shot from a PDF I worked on. Original was scanned and emailed to me and for this demo purpose I showed you redact, highlighting and signing with blue ink. If printed it looks just like the real thing.

2014-10-07%2023.22.53_zpsakwrzml5.png

Battery life on my six plus has been great. I wouldn't want to downgrade.

Don't know much about battery life on the 6 Plus but the Note 3 lasts me 1-1.5 days with regular to heavy use. Never been an issue for me. It charges fast too. 1-1.5hrs from empty to near full. I find that on what I know to be a very late night, I can pop it on the charger at say 5pm at like 45%, shower and dress and leave by 6pm and it's 90%+ if not full. Crazy charging speed. I hear the Note 4 is faster yet.
I would loose some of the money I have invested in iOS...but I have invested in android as well.

Poweramp is great...though I use spotify.

I still use Pandora or Music Milk. I still mainly stream from my cloud site or through Google.

Any concern with samsungs financial downturn lately?

How are they in updates?

I'm not worried about Samsung. They aren't going anywhere. Update wise, this is my first Samsung device, but it's had it's OS updated twice and it's on pretty solid ground that L will be available for my Note 3. My guess is March at the latest. It was very early spring when I got Kit Kat.

What about longitivity of the six plus vs note 4?

I do think Apple will support more the 6 for longer with more current OS updates vs Samsung. Mainly because they can and it's easier. Overall though, I really don't see that as much if any issue. Reality is I won't likely keep my Note 3 as my primary device beyond 2-3yrs and if it's a secondary or device for my son, etc. updates won't be as critical.

I do like that Apple keeps them more current but that's not always the case and who knows what might change. To me the trade offs on longevity are worth it given the capabilities Android and other makes offer and the overall experience of using it the way I intend to use it vs the manufacturer controlling things.

None of the above will look as good or posses the ease of use/editing on an iPhone compared to an Android/Note. Especially the S-pen work.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
What apps do you use for office and pdf editing/annotating?

What about power points?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
What apps do you use for office and pdf editing/annotating?

What about power points?

I use a variety depending on the document and what my preference at the time is. I'm fickle like that :eek:

OfficeSuite Pro 7 is great.
Polaris Office is another. I use this on my iPad too
WPS/Kingsoft Office is another

PDF Wise the above will open them, but for certain capabilities I will use Fill and Sign and Signmypad.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
If you're satisfied with the Iphone, then I would stick with it.

iOS and Android are very different and you have to see what you prefer more.

iOS is simple but lacks customization whereas Android is more complex but can be customized anyway you like.

Keep in mind the Iphone is going to hold its value for longer than the note.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Why bother?

Honestly I love both platforms and have owned my fair share of devices.

Initially it was just a hard decision between the two. But I am leaning towards the note for one BIG reason I just discovered. Samsung is offering a 200 dollar rebate if you trade in a working smartphone and preorder.

I have a smart phone valued at ten bucks that I can trade it...essentially making the note 4 cost $550.

My iPhone 6+ was over $900.

Thats a pretty compelling reason now. I will still think about it... but, hell, If I hated the note, I could sell it for more than I paid.

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Just a note(pun intended), Touchwiz can be taken care off by installing a launcher like Nova.

...Touch Wiz as noted before can easily be replaced with a new launcher.

I don't know why people keep saying this, its simply not true.

Touchwiz is the entire framework built into the OS. Changing the launcher does not remove it. In fact it can even render some samsung widgets useless.

Tell us more what you primarily do with your phone and then we can help.

For example, if its media consumption, I'd stick to the iphone. Yes the note 4 has a "better" screen, but the external speaker is whack on it. The iPhone's speaker is actually quite decent.

One thing I'd don't like about touchwiz is since the s5, I am unable to add widgets to the lock screen.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Have you seen the note 4 in person? Do that, then come back to this thread.

I have. Both are good looking phones.

In not a huge touchwize guy... But the ram and down offset that compared to the iPhone and iOS (which I enjoy).

If I can confirm tomorrow, with my tmobile store, that I can get the 200 off the note... It might seal the deal. That's roughly 350-400 cheaper than my iPhone 6 plus.

I am a scientist for a living. I do a lot of note taking, pdf reading, music listening, document annotating, etc on the go.

I am also very active in the gym and running.

Gaugerer

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
The Note 4 is more versatile than the 6+ with multi-windows, S-Pen, SD Card etc. which needs extra software that can be difficult for beginners or those used to simpler hardware like the 6+.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I don't know why people keep saying this, its simply not true.

Touchwiz is the entire framework built into the OS. Changing the launcher does not remove it. In fact it can even render some samsung widgets useless.[

Where did I say a new launcher removes touchwiz as a framework?

Yes you can "replace" it as a launcher and who care about the Samsung widgets when there are way better ones out there.

My set up works 10x better than a stock Note 3.

----------

One thing I'd don't like about touchwiz is since the s5, I am unable to add widgets to the lock screen.

You can replace the the lock screen with ones that allow this. Some nice ones in fact. I'll have to pull up some names if you're interested. Not my thing as I like the one I have.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Note 4 is more versatile than the 6+ with multi-windows, S-Pen, SD Card etc. which needs extra software that can be difficult for beginners or those used to simpler hardware like the 6+.

I'd have to agree, the note is more versatile, but I'd say if the OP is more engrained in the apple ecosystem then the IP6+ makes more sense.

I don't think he can go wrong with either phone, I personally would go for the IP6+ just because its better for my needs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Where did I say a new launcher removes touchwiz as a framework?

Yes you can "replace" it as a launcher and who care about the Samsung widgets when there are way better ones out there.

My set up works 10x better than a stock Note 3.

----------

You can replace the the lock screen with ones that allow this. Some nice ones in fact. I'll have to pull up some names if you're interested. Not my thing as I like the one I have.

This is the thing, my setup also works infinitely better than touch wiz. With iOS you are completely stuck with a single setup, that maybe good if you love it or bad if you don't or need something custom. My Note 3 looks nothing remotely like standard touch wiz, I've customized it to the gills to suit my personal and professional needs. The customization is also not difficult, any soccer mom or grandmother could easily learn to do it.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Anyone here switch from iOS to the note or a similar device?

Did you miss iMessage, or other aspects of iOS?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Meh...iMessage is nice for two things. When I pick up my iPad and an iPhone, they match. However, I really never text or message from my iPad so I do not care.

The other thing that is nice is iMessage from wifi only locations like an airplane. However, there I just send email and call it a day. Otherwise, no there's really nothing I miss about not having iOS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I switch between a lot of phones..... I have the 3 phones in my sig right now.
My IP6 has a ton of great features...it is a great phone. When I switch sim cards and go with my OPO for instance....they almost become invisible. I mean there are things I really like about some Android phones. I like the notification light. It can be customized for each app. Blue...its a text...better get that. Green...email...it can wait......red..missed call.......better see what i missed.
I like being able to use my phone storage or SD Card as a external drive.
I can hookup my phone to my iMac or Windows laptop and my whole storage is available to me.
I like the widgets.......especially weather and calendar. I have a whole screen with my calendar for the month.

But if you are entrenched in the Apple ecosystem. Then it makes sense for you to stay with the IP6+. iMessage is a great feature. Being able to text and get the messages on your phone....ipad or iMac is a great feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.