Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
This is my third case and this one is going back also..
First one I set it on a bar top with small amount of condensation case bubbled up second one fit loose..this one same as the first but worst. Guess I'll try the silicone case. I had a 5s leather case and it never did this see pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    728 KB · Views: 1,578

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Maybe it's just me, but this looks like normal wear and tear on leather. If you want a material that will remain constant, silicone might be your best bet. Your leather case is not going to look new after a month, regardless of how you use it.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Ah do the math 3 within 2 weeks time this pic was taken a day after I returned the 2nd one. Bubbling is not normal wear.

rhenzhen

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Maybe it's just me, but this looks like normal wear and tear on leather. If you want a material that will remain constant, silicone might be your best bet. Your leather case is not going to look new after a month, regardless of how you use it.
If you look closely there some kind of bumps or blisters on the surface of the leather. That is not good for a $49 dollar leather case. I also tried 2 different colors of apple leather case, too and same thing happened when it got wet and when i tried to use our sofa leather application cleaner. lol.
I returned them both. Thanks to apple for their excellent return policy.

amtechrep

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
That is not normal. Looks like its bubbling. Return it and exchange for new one. I wouldn't keep it.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Yes second time this happened so going with the silicone one this time around

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Water and leather do not mix, especially with expensive leather. Yes, you can have a water resistant coating, but that's not going to help against prolonged contact with water.

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
You can't put water on leather. Ever bought a leather jacket? The first thing you do it it is waterproof it. If you don't want extremely thin leather to be affected by moisture, then it must be waterproofed. Otherwise it's wear and tear known in the leather industry as "character"

freechef

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
You can't put water on leather. Ever bought a leather jacket? The first thing you do it it is waterproof it. If you don't want extremely thin leather to be affected by moisture, then it must be waterproofed. Otherwise it's wear and tear known in the leather industry as "character"

Rub some Obenauf's LP on it.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Had the same case on my iPhone 5s year later still looks new. It never blistered up like my 6 case does.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Wait, why are people surprised that getting the leather wet is causing problems? That I would think is kinda normal....I don't see where it is advertised as water resistant or anything. Don't get leather wet. Lol.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah makes sense now. I have to have a case for my case cause I can't get one drop of water on it. Read all my posits in this thread first. The quality is down from last years considering I had the same case for the iPhone 5s and it never blistered up after a year of use . No one ever said I put it in a pool or ran under a faucet we r talking about small amounts of condensation from a glass.

cypressc

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Austin, TX
Yeah makes sense now. I have to have a case for my case cause I can't get one drop of water on it. Read all my posits in this thread first. The quality is down from last years considering I had the same case for the iPhone 5s and it never blistered up after a year of use . No one ever said I put it in a pool or ran under a faucet we r talking about small amounts of condensation from a glass.

Small amounts of condensation are likely to cause the marks you have shown. Again, you are talking about putting moisture on a thin strip of leather. Go ahead and rest your sweaty drink glass on your untreated leather jacket and the results will probably be even worse. If you want a case you can get wet, don't buy leather, buy silicone.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
im going with they used even cheaper leather than last year....(like i said twice).....had the 5s in last years leather case for a year and never had this problem....at all...did have the plastic break at the bottom but that is why they left it open this year..

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
im going with they used even cheaper leather than last year....(like i said twice).....

What I've often found is that as the materials become more luxurious (hence more expensive) the durability goes down.

• Vinyl vs natural leather
  • Polyester vs silk
  • Laminate furniture vs French polished marquetry.
  • Stainless steel cutlery vs solid silver cutlery.
  • Formica kitchen work tops vs marble countertops.

Everything on the left is cheaper and more durable: More able to deal with everyday life and still look good.

Everything in the right is more expensive and more "luxurious", but harder to look after.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Things we've learned since September 19th:

If you sit on a phone, it will bend.

If you drop glass, even if it's "ion strengthened" it will break.

"ion strengthened" glass can scratch if you drop it (assuming the screen doesn't break).

and:

Leather can look bad if you get it wet.

And Apple users are supposed have more education and more $$$ than Android users... I never used to doubt it, but over the last 3 weeks I'm starting to.

:rolleyes:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Ah do the math 3 within 2 weeks time this pic was taken a day after I returned the 2nd one. Bubbling is not normal wear.

The bubbling is caused by water. It happens on all the Apple leather products.

The problem with the leather cases is that you cannot handle them after you wash your hands until your hands are completely dry. Sweat will damage it too and cause that bubbling.

Kimball

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Really weird, Ive used the leather case on my 5S during 1 month in Thailand (Im thinking high humidity), as well as in the rain, and Ive never seen anything close to those bubbles during the year Ive used it.

Maybe just putting some leather balsam on there would help, wont make the case sticky or anything either.

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
soft leather will do that if you get it wet because water and leather never mix. cheap leather will have a plastic coating on top of the leather and it won't feel soft and cushioned like the apple case. you can polish it with some black shoe polish to make it resist water better but that's how good soft leather will react to water.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Leather is a skin, it is porous and needs to breathe, and it needs occasional cleaning and conditioning. Even with careful use, it does require some maintenance, which should be a consideration when choosing a case.

I had a white leather SGP case on my android for over 3 years, and it just recently started showing some wear at the corners. On the other hand, a leather case on my iPad didn't hold up, as I'm just not as careful with it. I switched to a coated canvas case for that.

You can spray your new leather case with a leather protector (Wilson's makes a good one.) Lexol is the best for cleaning and conditioning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.