Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stig722

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Doesn't that mean that you need to build a blog and write content etc?
Domain flipping requires no work whatsoever. Unless I'm missing something.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the new TLDs that are being rolled out, I'd say its still a business that people try to make money. Like anything else, with more players jumping in to try to make a buck, its harder and harder.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Given the new TLDs that are being rolled out, I'd say its still a business that people try to make money. Like anything else, with more players jumping in to try to make a buck, its harder and harder.

The new TLDs and also recent changes in Google's algorithm have reduced the dependency on EMDs, making domain flipping less profitable than in the past when a site with a prime domain had more out-of-box relevancy. Google is really trying to make content on the domain the thing, not the domain itself. You can have a really profitable website at like ohboydumbasspocketlint.com where you sell radiators or hunting knives. Google doesn't really care any more; it may still have an effect but it's not like it used to be. They've always put a lot of emphasis on links and link/content relevancy anyway, and recently it's gone further in that direction.

Granted, there are still companies looking for precise domains, but with things like .us, .in, and weird spellings with missing vowels and doubled letters most companies are under less pressure to buy a particular one. And if it's a brand name, they'll get it out of your whether you want to sell or not.

Doesn't that mean that you need to build a blog and write content etc?
Domain flipping requires no work whatsoever. Unless I'm missing something.
All things equal, you'll always get much, much more for a blog than for a domain. The domains you and I are going to pick up won't get anywhere near the profit of an established blog you buy cheap and ramp up. Some people buy them for a couple thousand, go like gang busters, and sell 8 or 12 months later for like $30k or $40k. It's also easier to find potential buyers when the site is ranked, has content, and has a few months of documented profitability. If you have the dedication, it's a cool way to make money, and you do one or two a year and you're living easy.

Last edited:

Stig722

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Wow, that's a really informative answer. Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.