Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Well-known Vietnamese blog Tinhte.vn today published images that reportedly show the design of Apple's next generation iPad Air 2. The pictured device has the same general form factor as the existing iPad Air, but includes a thinner 7 mm profile that measures roughly the same as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and thinner than the current 7.5 mm iPad Air. In line with previous rumors, the iPad Air 2 model also includes a home button with a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

tinthe-ipad-air2.jpeg
Claimed iPad Air 2 mockup from Tinhte.vn

While this latest report includes detailed photographs and a video, they only give us a hint at Apple's next-generation iPad as the device in the photos is described as a dummy model used by accessory manufacturers to test out and showcase their designs and not an actual iPad Air 2 unit leaked from a Foxconn assembly line. Similar to previous leaks, the iPad model has the same external design features seen in earlier leaks and in MacRumors' own dummy unit on hand since June.

tinthe-ipad-air2-mr-dummy.jpeg
Tinhte dummy unit (left) vs. MacRumors dummy unit (right)

Of perhaps most note, the Tinhte.vn and other dummy models include two distinctive small holes in the area of the rear camera -- one on the back and one of the side of the casing. The hole closest to the camera is undoubtedly for a microphone, while the other hole likely marks the presumed location of the mute/rotation switch, which is not depicted ini full on the models. Today's report and an earlier one have suggested this hole is for a microphone rather than simply marking the mute/rotation switch location, but we believe this interpretation is likely incorrect.

Apple is expected to unveil its iPad Air 2 and possibly a new Retina iPad mini at a press event to be held on October 16. The next-generation iPad Air is rumored to included a faster A8 processor, anti-reflective display, Touch ID, and a gold color option.

Article Link: iPad Air 2 Dummy Model Again Showcases Touch ID, Thin Profile Ahead of Expected October Unveiling

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Meh, call me when Apple announces an iPad Pro. Until then, it's just more of the same.

"Can't innovate anymore" indeed.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Strange nothing has really leaked regarding the rMini. I wonder what :apple: has in store for the rMini. I sure see plenty of them in the wild.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
The new #Fappening, #thinering! But seriously this is a good thing because the screen on the iPad Air was TOO hollow and felt cheap. Now it will be laminated so their should be no gap.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Touch ID and A8 is good and all, but more important to me would be to just go straight to the 32GB entry level. Enough with this 16GB BS.. It's an iPad.. Storage is key if you really want to get the business traveler market.

(oh.. and more RAM could be good too!) :)

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So I'm going to need to buy all new cases just for .5mm less thickness?

Seems pretty ridiculous. Just give us a slightly bigger battery.

Which would make it heavier. No thanks.

The Air is much lighter than it's predecessors but it's not yet light enough.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'll miss the mute/rotation lock button... :(

If that hole is to marke where the switch will go, it looks kind of high.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Touch ID and A8 is good and all, but more important to me would be to just go straight to the 32GB entry level. Enough with this 16GB BS.. It's an iPad.. Storage is key if you really want to get the business traveler market.

Agreed.

16g is just waaaay to small for the iPad. You would spend more time mananage the memory than anything else.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

There will be a 16GB iPad because there are people that will buy it. Just because you want something different doesn't mean Apple shouldn't offer what you don't want.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yes, if you sit on it. I'll never understand why people will not put their reading glasses in their pocket and sit on them, but will put a thin electronic device in their pocket and sit on it.

And expect them to work.

Why not expect the same of all glasses and call it a defect when they break.

odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.