Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Gang - advice here is appreciated.

Situation:
My Niece is on her high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Budget: $300 - $500 for camera/lens/other

I'm thinking mirrorless camera, possible like this newer one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040896-GREY/canon_eos_m_ml_camera_18_55.html
Canon EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and Flash Kit (Black)
You Pay: $379.00

Here is the original email from my sister...
Sarah is working on her high school year book and the assignment requires taking pictures. So she/me is in the market for a decent camera. She borrowed Lisa’s to try (without really knowing how to use it). She wants a camera that takes actions shots, zooms, and not sure what else.

Would you be able to provide guidance?

And cost has to be reasonable.

They have compact camera and iPhone5, however those not good enough nor quick shutter press to image.
I appreciate your advice.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Gang - advice here is appreciated.

Situation:
My Niece is on her high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Budget: $300 - $500 for camera/lens/other

I'm thinking mirrorless camera, possible like this newer one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040896-GREY/canon_eos_m_ml_camera_18_55.html

Here is the original email from my sister...

They have compact camera and iPhone5, however those not good enough nor quick shutter press to image.
I appreciate your advice.

That can't take any action shots. Google EOS M review. It sometimes can't even focus on still objects. Bad, bad camera.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I'd pick up a Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 II kit lens. You can get one used for your budget. Fantastic little camera that takes pictures like a $2,000 DSLR. (Doesn't have the options of a pro DSLR, but who really needs all that stuff anyway?) It's so light you can take it anywhere and is easy to use.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'd pick up a Nikon D3300 with the 18-55 II kit lens. You can get one used for your budget. Fantastic little camera that takes pictures like a $2,000 DSLR. (Doesn't have the options of a pro DSLR, but who really needs all that stuff anyway?) It's so light you can take it anywhere and is easy to use.
AllergyDoc is right.
The D3300 is an amazing bang for the buck and will do everying your niece wants to do. It will also go much further if she ever decides she needs other video/photo.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
That can't take any action shots. Google EOS M review. It sometimes can't even focus on still objects. Bad, bad camera.

I did a search before advising my sister, thought it was decent, now I see this:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-m/canon-eos-mA.HTM
EOS M Summary, Review posted: August 1, 2013

The Canon EOS M, the manufacturer's long-awaited entry into the mirrorless camera market, is a much better camera now than it was when it was launched nearly a year ago. Thanks to a recent firmware update from Canon, the EOS M's sluggish autofocusing capabilities have been markedly improved, though it's still not as fast as many competing models. And since the AF flaw weakened early demand for the camera, it now readily sells in a kit for under US$400 -- which makes it a lot more attractive than its initial US$800 pricetag. At that cost, and boasting image quality and photographic skills similar to the Rebel T4i, the Canon EOS M is no longer a bad investment for Canon DSLR owners looking for a small, spare body, nor for beginners wanting to step up from a point-and-shoot.
Pros

Excellent image quality similar to Rebel T4i, T5i and SL1 DSLRs, with 18-megapixel APS-C-type sensor delivering considerable resolution for a mirrorless camera; Solid build and sleek design; Bright, high-resolution 3-inch LCD touchscreen monitor; Full 1080p HD video recording that's virtually silent with an STM lens.
Cons

Barely acceptable autofocus speed still lags far behind most mirrorless cameras despite firmware update fix; Limited physical controls and buttons, including no Program, Priority, or Manual on Mode dial; Lacks built-in flash or electronic viewfinder option; Only two compact EF-M mount lenses currently available.

So the autofocus totally sucks, that's not good.

This guy, who also shoot full frame 5D mkII, seems to like it, but as a 2nd camera for those who now how to shoot and compose and get around it's focus limitations
Paul_Frazier Dec 22, 2013

Expectations were high when this came out over a year ago. It was expensive, and lacked the speed to compete with m43's and other APS-C mirrorless cameras. With it's firmware update (2.0.2), and hard to deny current retail price, I made the purchase after taking all the negative reviews exactly as we should...with a grain of salt. With the way you have your camera set-up and how, and what you intend to shoot, really determines if this camera will work for you. In my case, it has complemented my full size, full-frame DSLR in a positive way.

I shoot in manual with my 5D MK II, viewfinder exclusively, center single point AF, and I program the back button to focus. My EOS M is similarly set-up like this, albeit using the lcd screen (which isn't as hard of a transition as I thought), adjusting the focus point via touch screen (instead of recomposing), and a few other settings I'm unable to do with my MK II. The AF speed is good, but still not quick enough to acquire focus on a fast moving subject, typically ones moving closer to, or away from you. If you're struggling with focusing, here's a hint...to acquire faster, more precise focus, focus on an edge with varying contrast in the subject you're trying to capture. Low light, bright light, your success rate will increase if you know how to acquire focus properly with the sensors in your camera. And to add to my settings...for the record, the focus assist beam is set to off (nobody likes getting blinded by it), and it works fine in most scenarios without it on...you just have to know how to focus.

Handling the EOS M may be tough for larger than average hands, I could image. For me, I find it's comfortable to hold (I'm of average height and build), buttons are layed out perfectly without getting in the way. It's a pocketable camera (jacket pocket that is), especially with the 22mm attached. It's not a camera you'll forget is in your pocket. Its body is mostly magnesium, built better than any other camera this size...even better than most entry level DSLR's.

Unfortunately there are only 3 native lenses for the M, with one not being sold in the US (c'mon Canon, show some love). Both the 22mm f/2 and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS are really great glass. The optics are sharp and provide nice contrast. I'll eventually buy the EF adapter when I want to extend the range of my EF glass.

Buy/bring a couple spare batteries if you plan to go out on shoots. With the LCD as your only way of seeing your frame, and the small capacity battery, it's possible you'll run them down faster than you'd like. But again, it's all how you set-up and use your camera. There are a few factors that can deplete your battery that, you may or may not realize you need to have on.

Would I recommend the camera to someone that has no experience with DSLR's and/or ILC's, probably not. It does have short comings that, imo, can be lived with, subjectively speaking. And although it looks like Canon was targeting the P&S crowd, I do believe some of the nuisances that have been addressed by others will leave those that "shoot from the hip", frustrated.

Yet, I'm still giving it 5 stars based on my own use. It works perfect for me and love it for what it is...

Note: I suggest to see it best price at: digitalcameras2k.wordpress.com/canon-eos-m/

Hope it helps.

AllergyDoc is right.
The D3300 is an amazing bang for the buck and will do everying your niece wants to do. It will also go much further if she ever decides she needs other video/photo.

OK, I've got DSLR and my sister in law also (I advised her), my niece I was trying something more compact yet capable, seems mirrorless to do that still costs too much $$$.

Will re-think and look at options.
Thx

Last edited:

dadudeness

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
de
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Eos M.

If DSLR is too large, of course you can go mirrorless.

I would keep an eye on Olympus' Pen (µ4/3 sensor) series, Sony's NEX (DSLR-like APS-C) and maybe Nikon's 1 series (Nikon CX format 1" sensor).

All of them are quite compact and there are several models that fit in the given budget.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
IMHO, DSLR got good enough several years ago. They autofocus fast enough for most subjects, they aren't noisy in good light... If she's not yet into photography, I'd look into a refurbished camera or a used one and pair it with some decent lenses.

Locally, I can find a Canon t2i with its kit lens for 300-350$. It's a great little camera. It has same sensor as the 7d, 60d and t5i... It takes HD video and really should get more credit than it does. Get a 50mm f/1.8 (100$) or the new EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake (150$) and you're all set.

With the pancake lens it would be a reasonably small camera. However, if you want to go smaller, I'd look into Sony or m43. Mirorless tends to get expensive only if you want the latest and greatest, if you don't care for a viewfinder and other top-tier features you can get a camera quite cheap.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Niece 's high school year book team and the assignment requires taking pictures

Appreciate the advice, my niece and sister went shopping, Walmart and Costco, they ended up getting Nikon D3200 kit with 2 lens at Costco.
Hey, I'm a Canon shooter and support their buy 100%.
(Pls no flame wars)

All her school pictures will be downloaded and edited - post processing- at school.

Family shots will of course be handled at home.
I told my sister next week apples new computers announcement, she's looking at iMac .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Appreciate the advice, my niece and sister went shopping, Walmart and Costco, they ended up getting Nikon D3200 kit with 2 lens at Costco.
(Pls no flame wars)

All her school pictures will be downloaded and edited - post processing- at school.

I told my sister next week apples new computers announcement, she's looking at iMac .

I started out with a D3200. They are a nice little camera. At least she will be able to get plenty of advice from you!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Eos M.

For action images, absolutely. However for static subjects, you can't beat the quality for the price you pay. My EOS M serves as my "pocket" camera when I don't want to lug my D800 around the city. But I shoot mainly cityscapes and landscapes, so I don't rely on AF as heavily as other users might.

To the OP, you may want to look at the Fuji X-E1 or X-E2. The X-E1 is probably more around your price range, but the X-E2 has improved AF even though the IQ is on par to the X-E1. Like other suggested, you can go with a entry level DSLR from Nikon or Canon as well. But I would definitely look at mirrorless options, too.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
(Pls no flame wars)

While I don't care about Canon vs Nikon, it probably would have been wise for your niece to get a Canon. That way, she could have borrowed your lenses if she had specific requirements, instead of having to buy the lenses herself or rent.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
While I don't care about Canon vs Nikon, it probably would have been wise for your niece to get a Canon. That way, she could have borrowed your lenses if she had specific requirements, instead of having to buy the lenses herself or rent.

Yep - 100% agree, I live 75 minutes away (I'm Uncle Mike), Aunt Lisa lives 3 minutes away....my sister inlaw has a Nikon high end DLSR so if need be my niece can borrow her constant f2.8 24-70 for low light shooting indoors....she had actually borrowed that camera the week before and felt comfortable with it...
I left that detail out of the thread....

Hey - it's all good stuff, 3 of us now shoot DLSR!
Over Thanksgiving we will need to have a mini family shoot out....the turkey trot contest or something....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.