Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're growing closer to the launch of the first hardware accessories that are compatible with Apple's HomeKit home automation platform, as the company has recently published the final Made for iPhone (MFi) specifications for hardware developers. With the completed specifications, hardware manufacturers will be able to create products that are designed to integrate with the HomeKit platform.

All developers creating hardware for HomeKit must follow Apple's MFi guidelines and incorporate the HomeKit technical specifications. As outlined by 9to5Mac, some of Apple's final HomeKit specifications cover the pairing and security of Bluetooth LE and Wi-Fi connected HomeKit accessories.

While we've already seen several products that will take advantage of HomeKit, including a smart USB charger and a line of connected home sensors, Apple's HomeKit supports a wide range of products like lightbulbs, locks, fans, thermostats, power outlets, garage doors, and more. Apple has also announced several partners already, including Philips and Honeywell.

elgato_eve_line1-800x635.png
Connected home sensors with HomeKit integration from Elgato
As Apple has worked to ready HomeKit for hardware developers, it has also been working on the software front. The latest beta of the Apple TV software, released alongside iOS 8.1 beta 2, includes explicit support for HomeKit, turning the Apple TV into something of a home automation hub.

The new Apple TV software turns the Apple TV into a remote access HomeKit peer, and as described by AppleInsider, this allows HomeKit devices to sync with the Apple TV, possibly giving users a way to control connected devices even when away from home.

In the future, an updated Apple TV set-top box could include long-rumored features like Siri support, letting users easily control HomeKit-connected devices from their living rooms through the Apple TV dashboard. HomeKit has been designed to work deeply with Siri, letting users control HomeKit hardware via voice commands.

At its Worldwide Developers Conference, several potential uses for HomeKit were demoed. For example, when a user has HomeKit-compatible hardware installed, Apple's voice assistant Siri can be asked to "Close the garage, "Turn off the lights," or "Lower the temperature."

Apple has plans to hold a Made for iPhone (MFi) summit November 12 through November 14, providing accessory manufacturers and developers with information on HomeKit, iBeacon, AirPlay, and more, and with the finalized specification now available, we should be seeing additional hardware products with HomeKit support in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Finalizes HomeKit Hardware Specifications, Adds HomeKit Support to Apple TV

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
This is going to be interesting. I'm looking forward to finally pushing our homes into the future!

Is it safe to assume a new AppleTV unit is coming this month?

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
The future has finally arrived folks. Since the 1950's people have dreamed about technology like this. Very exciting!

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego
I can't imagine using an :apple:TV to manage homekit or the connected devices, at least in its current iteration.

I remember my brother had on-screen notifications through his cable provider of some home automation stuff, it was odd and annoying.

Last edited:

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I'd personally love to have a smoke alarm that I could monitor from afar. It'd be good for the peace of mind!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm looking forward to this. I got a Honeywell Lyric nearly as soon as was possible (we got a new furnace, and the contractor said they were expecting them to arrive the same day that our install was scheduled for. It didn't, so we had the furnace, but no thermostat, for another day. Our installer was a very tech-obsessed guy, he couldn't wait for it to come out, too, so he drove to their warehouse the second day to pick it up directly, rather than wait for it to ship.)

It's great. Full integration will be even greater, especially if some analysis apps come out to provide more than what the Lyric app itself does. Plus, being able to trigger Siri "Siri, set the temperature to 70 when I get home" would be nicer than having to launch the app.

I'd personally love to have a smoke alarm that I could monitor from afar. It'd be good for the peace of mind!

Nest Protect is the only one I know of that's on the market right now. I'm sure others will be coming.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Now this is truly exciting. Its what Microsoft has been promising us for the last decade, a connected home. Its good that finally Apple is dragging everyone by their feet. Hopefully were going to start seeing more exciting home products soon.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not even going to pretend like I am not a huge nerd for this stuff. More of a reason why I am thinking about going back to an iphone.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
The future has finally arrived folks. Since the 1950's people have dreamed about technology like this. Very exciting!

We've FINALLY reached the technology in the future world ball at EPCOT!

I can't imagine using an :apple:TV to manage homekit or the connected devices, at least in its current iteration.

I remember my brother had on-screen notifications through his cable provider of some home automation stuff, it was

The benefit of this is that any iDevice can connect to the AppleTV, so you'd basically be controlling it through your iPhone, iPad, watch... etc. Plus, I imagine there will be other technology in the next ATV release (hopefully next week!).

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wake me up when light bulbs don't cost $59.

LED bulb for $19.99. (Requires $50 "gateway" unit, but that controls more than just one light bulb.)

Or the Starter kit with two bulbs plus the gateway for $70.

----------

I hope that I set Celsius and Fahrenheit correctly then!

Hahahaha! Very true. "Honey, you wanted roasted hamster for dinner, right?"

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
We've FINALLY reached the technology in the future world ball at EPCOT!

The benefit of this is that any iDevice can connect to the AppleTV, so you'd basically be controlling it through your iPhone, iPad, watch... etc. Plus, I imagine there will be other technology in the next ATV release (hopefully next week!).

The benefits of the watch are only going to grow prior to release.

AtomicDusk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
San Diego

If controlling through TV was an option, great, but if it's the only point of control (as opposed to an app on my iPhone/iPad) well I'd never use it if I needed to turn off a football game, pause game of thrones or stop mario kart in order to change my thermostat.

There's an app for that. Just not one that is all-inclusive of all connected devices.

Yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.