Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Anyone notice that their new iPhone 6/6 Plus NOT being able to hold an LTE signal?

I would notice that my iPhone 6 Plus would often switch to 3G.

My old iPhone 5 rarely, if ever, would switch to 3G. It almost always holds an LTE signal.

I am assuming this is a iPhone 6/6 Plus issue as the carrier and the locations I am in are constant and the only variable is the iPhone.

I have Verizon btw.

#LTEGate ?

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
image_zpseba19ea8.jpg

Nothing wrong with my LTE...

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
No LTE issues here.

I will say that I used to get a consistant 3 (circles) with my 5s, though that was a different phone on a different version of iOS.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Not everything is a 'gate'. If that was the case, we'd have:
#camerastickoutsgate
#spacegrayistoolightgate
#scratchesoutoftheboxgate
#brokendreamsgate
#warpedgate
#ismyphonebentgate
#nofaithinapplegate
#eyebrowsnotonpointgate

Like stop.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
No problems on AT&T with my iP6. My friend sometimes has problems with Verizon and can barely get 3G on his iP5 standing next to my (no longer have) iP5 with full LTE. Go figure. Do you always have the problem in the same location? Could be due to a cell tower having issues?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
No problems on AT&T with my iP6. My friend sometimes has problems with Verizon and can barely get 3G on his iP5 standing next to my (no longer have) iP5 with full LTE. Go figure. Do you always have the problem in the same location? Could be due to a cell tower having issues?

Yes, I am in the same location. Only my i6 Plus exhibits this issue.

I have even swapped SIMs back to my old i5 in the same location and I am to maintain an LTE signal with that phone.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Another Bleeping Gate?? Don't people have anything better to do?? No one (IMO) is going to pay much attention to anything with a #Gate attached. It's way too much, stop already. Rant over.. If you just post something about LTE issues on new iPhone, I think more people will be willing to read and help.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I'm moving to Seattle! That's unbelievable, I travel a lot and have never gotten that any where.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Not everything is a 'gate'. If that was the case, we'd have:
#camerastickoutsgate
#spacegrayistoolightgate
#scratchesoutoftheboxgate
#brokendreamsgate
#warpedgate
#ismyphonebentgate
#nofaithinapplegate
#eyebrowsnotonpointgate

Like stop.
#commentgate

It depends on what the LTE signal is like in your area from your carrier.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
So far I didn't notice any differences, LTE on my iPhone 6 has the same signal strength and speed as on my old iPhone 5. More bands are supported, but with my carrier I always connect to the same band I guess

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I live in NJ but work in NYC. I actually do see my LTE on my iPhone 6 Plus to drop occasionally where it shouldn't. When I turn Airplane Mode on, and then turn it off, my iPhone will reconnect to LTE. It's weird. My girlfriend has a 6, and sometimes when she has LTE, I have 3G, but when I activate Airplane Mode and deactivate it, it'll connect to LTE. Not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software issue.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Where do you live? That speed. Fastest I ever got was in Nashville TN while visiting a friend, and that was only 65.

Where I'm at I average any where from 5-10....

I live in Renton, WA about 10 miles south of Seattle. That was an LTE signal right down the street from my house.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Same thing with me

LTE frequently drops on me too. However, this is more to do with single stregth and battery life. Going on LTE but low signal will drain your battery fast. Also, with Verizon you have VOLTE. If your LTE drops, so does your call. That's why it switches to 3G. You don't want dropped calls so it goes to a more reliable connection. If you really need LTE, just go to settings and turn off LTE so it's on 3G and then turn it back on. It'll reconnect to LTE.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
#LTEGate ?

Do you even have a clue of what the gate suffix means? You are suggesting that because your phone does not get good LTE reception that it is a scandal so it pretty safe to say that you are using the word without having a clue of what it means or even what a scandal is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.