Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Why is there a lack of enthusiasm? IPad Air 2 could be a major upgrade if there's an 8mp camera, Touch ID, Apple pay, slimmer design, retina hd, 2gb ram, split screen multi tasking, gold colour, 32gb base line model. I skipped ipad 4 when I had ipad 3 but this time is different.

Ipad air was mostly all about the new design but inside this will be one of the best.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Why is there a lack of enthusiasm? IPad Air 2 could be a major upgrade if there's an 8mp camera, Touch ID, Apple pay, slimmer design, retina hd, 2gb ram, split screen multi tasking, gold colour, 32gb base line model. I skipped ipad 4 when I had ipad 3 but this time is different.

Ipad air was mostly all about the new design but inside this will be one of the best.

IMHO opinion I think this is stemmed from a lack of leaks about it. Usually if there's new and exciting features rumored they receive tons of press and keep the rumor fire going. I think one of the biggest you mentioned would be the split screen multitasking, but no one's reported any code from any of the betas and usually something that big would have been included in one by now.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
IMHO opinion I think this is stemmed from a lack of leaks about it. Usually if there's new and exciting features rumored they receive tons of press and keep the rumor fire going. I think one of the biggest you mentioned would be the split screen multitasking, but no one's reported any code from any of the betas and usually something that big would have been included in one by now.

I think it will get an 8mp camera but I also believe rumours the next iphone might get a 10mp upgrade.

There's also that reversible usb rumour.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
i'm not unenthusiastic about it, iPads are my favourite gadgets. But we don't know for certain what the iPad Air 2 will offer.

If the rumour is true that in order to make it thinner they've removed the button for lock screen/mute, I will miss that, I use it quite a lot.

I would prefer them not to make it thinner and make it more functional, such as fit a USB port or an SD card slot in it.

I will keep my ipad4 until it dies, as it is 64GB, LTE, still works perfectly, and I have a Zag KeysPro with that which is a great keyboard. My iPad Air was less expensive, being refurb, wifi only, 32GB, but I would only replace that when there is a radical upgrade, or things that really matter to me.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I have the Air and will buy the Air 2.

Excited? I been through too many of these to get that excited anymore.

When it becomes avail;ble, I will buy it and move on.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
Because the original iPad Air is so good.

I have the mini retina, but the principle is the same. With the addition of the retina screen, the iPad mini fulfilled my major desires for such a device. In comparison, the other things you listed fall under "nice to have."

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014

What is there to get excited about?

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
IMHO if there was more evidence of the 12" iPad Pro being announced there would be much more excitement around the announcement.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Mostly because I just bought my Air not long ago and something else coming out and obsoleting it already makes me sad.

But seriously, I do hope the new iPads are awesome anyway. :)

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei

IMHO, not really much going in it to warrant being excited / upgrading for:

8mp camera > People who take photos with their iPads make me cringe!
Touch ID > Nice but not essential
Apple pay > You want to pay for things in store with your iPad air?
slimmer design > Is it not slim enough for ya!?
retina hd > Retina's pretty good as it is
2gb ram > Do your apps all work with 1Gb RAM? Ans = Yes = Then you don't need 2Gb RAM.
split screen multi tasking > Not gonna happen
gold colour > Meh
32gb base line model > Already got it

Added my own:
A8X Processor > Good, but again I'd rather wait for the Air 3

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Meehhhhhh.....

I downsized from an iPad 3 to an iPad Mini and then to an rMini 16GB Verizon model when it was released last year. I just purchased a 64GB iphone 6+. My iphone/phablet/tablet needs are met already. I know the Air is light compared to my older iPad 3, which my wife still uses, but for me it is the size. The rMini fits my needs better. For those that want the larger screen the Air is good for them. But these tablets already do so much that whatever is coming next doesn't seem so "big" or "exciting" anymore.

What would be the point of putting an 8MP or 10MP in the iPad Air 2? I know that some people use their tablets to take video and pictures but really, how many of us do to warrant the upgrade from the current 5MP. Most of us have phones that have 8+ MP cameras that we use for pictures/video. What would be nice if anything is for Apple to upgrade the front facing camera to 3 MP or more for better image quality during video calls (Facetime, Skype, etc...) I Skype with my parents every weekend so they can see their granddaughters.

Adding the gold color to the ipad line isn't really an upgrade and it looks gaudy to me, but hat is my personal opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs and their color choice. I respect that.

The processor will probably be a bit faster than last years or than the iPhone 6's. Ok. Is it going to make that much of a difference in real world usage though? Probably not. I moved from a 2 year old iP5 on iOS8 to the iP6+ on iOS8.0.2 and to be honest, I do not see a performance difference. The iP5 ran just fine. I would have stuck with it if it had a larger screen (maybe 4.7") but because it is small (for me it is small) and I have been wanted a larger 5+" screened phone for awhile, the 6+ met that requirement so I upgraded.

Multitasking would be nice I guess but to be quite honest again, I have not really ever found the need for it on a phone or tablet that I have used. Granted this is coming from the guy that watches a TV show on it rMini while websurfing in Safari on my 6+ but would I want the video window or the Safari window to be that small on the rMini so that I could squeeze both onto it? Or onto the larger Air screen? Probably not. But again, that is me. My uses may not mirror others.

Will I watch the Keynote for it, sure. But I will wait until later that day to watch it after the event is over just to see what it has.

I would get excited if Apple eliminated the 16GB model complete, brought the entry model in at 32GB and introduced an MicroSD card slot. That would be a huge leap forward for Apple. Do I see it happening, not really but that would start to get me hyped up for it. Retina HD screen would be nice but the current retina screen is already great that I do not really know what the point is of going higher. It is like the QuadHD screens for Samsung devices. It seems like it is being rushed out just to be able to say we did it first. 1080p is still standard for most video devices. 4K is still in it's infancy. Most TVs will only play or display video content in 1080p anyway unless you feel like spending thousands of dollars to be an early adopter for a new 4K TV. The QuadHD screens I would assume drain more battery power. It makes me wonder if they just put a 1080p screen in their device with good PPI, how much power would they save? Would they need as large of a battery or could the make the current battery last even longer (longer being preferred).

These are all personal opinions and not meant to insult anyone or start a "my device is better than yours" war.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I'm surprised how many people upgrade to every iteration of iDevices!

The Air 2 could have an A10, retinal recognition, 5K video and 10GB of RAM and I still wouldn't buy one, having just bought an Air a few months back. My previous iPad 2 was still going strong then, and it took a lot of humming and hawing to decide to upgrade.

I might buy an iPhone 6, or an Apple Watch, or a large dockable iPad Pro, but won't be buying an iPad Air for another generation or two.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Honestly? Because I suspect for the majority of users the Air is still a superb piece of kit that's not in need of replacement.

On a more specific level the A8 is a nice SoC but isn't a massive jump forward in performance. The A7 still feels very quick indeed and while forums like this make a big deal of 1Gb RAM for the vast majority of regular users there's no issue. Note that's not the same as saying that a RAM boost wouldn't bring benefits, just that it's not a critical fault for most.

Apple Pay isn't really that relevant to the Air (with the exception of on-line payments) and while TouchID is superb the security aspect is often less urgent on iPad's, especially the larger version, as they don't leave the house that often. Improved screens would be nice but, again, the current Air is damn good already so it'd have to be a big jump forward to make it a must have.

I guess what I'm describing is that, again for the majority, the iPad line is now a mature product category. What's currently available is very, very good and the need / desire to upgrade after a year is nowhere near as high as it was for earlier models.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
8 MPx camera you say??? Finally I'll be able to bring my giant tablet around to snap some photos, while conveniently leaving my reflex home because, you know, it's just too big.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Probably because the company behind the product knew about the Safari reloading issue for about a year and never did anything about it. My confidence in Apple has dropped dramatically over the past few years.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
The only thing on that list of "upgrades" that even remotely interests me is the 2GB of RAM, and even then, it's not enough to warrant an upgrade.

That's not a knock on the iPad - on the contrary, it means that the iPad Air is already so damn great that it's become really hard to make meaningful improvements to it.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

1) The majority of people dont want to update iPads every generation
2) The camera may be improved, but the ones on their phones are most likely better. iPads arent seen as a camera replacement.
3) Touch ID and Apple pay are nice to have, but its not as practical on an iPad as an iPhone, Im not going to walk up to places and pull out my iPad to pay for things, especially if my phone does it.
4) Slim is always nice, but shaving off a few milometers isnt that noticeable between generations
5) The retina screen and ram are very valid reasons to upgrade, if the current air is lagging with apps, which may or may not be the case for many
6) Multi-tasking may also come to the current air, we dont know if its an air2 exclusive yet, but this is where the ram would be a critical factor
7) the color and storage option are moot points as its all preference and not a reason to get one.

I stick to the point of people dont want to drop $500+ every year. I want an iPad to last me a good few years before I upgrade, and lately the updates to the hardware have been sub-par in my eyes. The air update was major with the redesign, but the internals are seriously lacking. They are placing hardware that is capable for the next year, but as the next iPad is released, and apps updated to use more of the new iPads resources, the old one becomes outdated real quick. And I dont think I will be getting any iPads anymore unless they look like they will last me a good while. All the updates are 'standard' or 'expected'. Nothing you listed made me wow. iPhone > iPad unless iPad brings something else to the table *couchosxcough*

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
For me it's a little different than the others. My Air is perfecto mundo so unless there is something I can't do without i'll sit tight. But the larger more looming reason is I don't like the direction iOS is going and i'm beginning to have concerns about Apple's QC. Both iOS 7 and iOS 8 have been a bug riddled mess and before the proverbial "so was Scott Forstall's iOS". At least it was identified and fixed. Some of the performance issues with iOS 7 have not been addressed with iOS 8 and in some instances based on feedback from the iOS 8 forums, it's gotten worse.

As an owner of 3 iPad's i'm now quite interested in Android Lollipop. Thanks Apple :p

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
They all bought iPhone 6+ and the iPad isnt as useful. The Air I already have is good enough. I will still get the new one but its getting much less use due to my 6+.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

"...if there is..."
there wont be...
end of story

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I think the main problem is that the full size iPad isn't a cheap device and although it came out 1 year ago, many people didn't buy theirs until a few months ago! They just don't feel like they got their moneys worth just yet..

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Some folks can't afford them I won't be able to get one on launch either until a bit later. So yeah these threads always pop up same with iPhones, folls will be tied into contracts or stuck on an iPhone 4s so they'll bash the newest device. It always happens here. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.