Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a third golden master candidate of OS X Yosemite to developers, just two days after releasing the second candidate golden master and the fifth public beta. The first golden master candidate was seeded to developers on September 30.

The latest Yosemite update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store and through Apple's Mac Developer Center.

yosemitegmcandidate3.jpg
OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency and redesigned dock, windows, and more. It also includes a multitude of new features, such as improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity, a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search with new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

Over the course of the beta testing period, each Developer Preview has added new features and refined the look and performance of OS X Yosemite, although changes have become less obvious in more recent builds as Apple begins finalizing Yosemite ahead of its public release, which is expected in late October.

The current build, like the previous golden master candidate, may not be the final version of OS X Yosemite, depending on the outcome of final testing. Last year, Apple seeded multiple golden master versions of OS X Mavericks, with the final version coming a couple of days ahead of the software's public release.

Article Link: Apple Releases Third OS X Yosemite Golden Master Candidate to Developers

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Wow. Either they found a (huge) bug or they're picking up the pace for getting Yosemite out faster, maybe release before the the event on 16th?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Wow, they aren't playing around.

Around 55 MB on a retina 2014 Mac, so likely just bug fixes.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Up and running. Fine so far.

Prior to 8.0.1 I would have never felt the need to give people the "okay" to install an Apple update.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Curious what other users think about the overall performance. I've been using it on a 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro and it's been very smooth, but many on here have been complaining about it.

I uninstalled it after Public Beta three, can anyone comment on whether they've improved the systems overall legibility?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Drat... no public release, just developers.

I did get the GM candidate 2 public release and it has been stable so far.

shigatashway

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
I pray to god this one fixes what the 2nd GM did to my 2012 Retina Pro... it completely F?!$*D my Finder: any new finder window fails to display any contents. Re-opening it MIGHT yield folders, but in place of where you'd see the title of the folder, I'd just get black rectangles akin to censor bars on oldschool tv programming.

speakafreaka

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Australia
Can someone check if they've changed the fullscreen behaviour on multiple monitors? In the PB if you fullscreen a window, the other screen blanks out.

I've tried changing mission control settings but it doesnt seem to have an effect. I've logged a two problems for it in previous PBs now.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
I'm glad to see Apple is on their ***** for these bug fixes.

Hopefully they'll take up this ethic within their iOS team.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Prior to 8.0.1 I would have never felt the need to give people the "okay" to install an Apple update.

Apple has had a pretty good track record for the past decade or so. I remember when earlier OS X updates (Panther, Tiger) were released with major bugs that broke the system. In those days I always waited a while before updating. iOS 8 had the first update in a long time that seriously screwed up a device. Hopefully Apple learned its lesson.

So far, Yosemite has been running great for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.