Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Chinese model Liu Wen hinted that she might be involved in a fashion-oriented advertising campaign for the Apple Watch. As it turns out, Liu Wen will be featured in Vogue China's November issue, wearing the Apple Watch on the cover of the magazine.

Wen appears to be wearing the 18-karat yellow gold Edition Apple Watch, which features a red Modern Buckle Band. She's also featured wearing other Apple Watch models on a spread inside the magazine.

voguecover.jpg
In an interview with The Business of Fashion, Vogue China editor-in-chief Angelica Cheung has revealed the details behind the partnership between Vogue and Apple that led to the device being featured on the popular magazine's cover. According to Cheung, she met with Apple CEO Tim Cook and design head Jony Ive ahead of the device's September 9 unveiling.

Cheung says that the duo walked her through the development of the Apple Watch, which left her "impressed by their thoughts and passion for the project." Cheung said that she thought the watches "combined technology, style, and functionality and were very modern," making them a good fit for Vogue China.

Cheung believes that Cook and Ive opted to give the Apple Watch its editiorial debut in Vogue China due to China's willingness to embrace new technology.
"Chinese people are actually very digitally minded and we embrace new technology and digital products more easily than perhaps people elsewhere," said Ms Cheung. "We are an ancient country but at the same time a very young country when it comes to fashion and new products. We love to embrace everything that is new, modern and positive," she added. "All these convince us that the intersection of fashion and technology is a natural progression, not something alien."
Apple's choice to show off the Apple Watch in Vogue China speaks to how important the country has become to the company. China marks an opportunity for significant growth for Apple and earlier this year, China's largest cell phone carrier, China Mobile, began offering the iPhone in what Tim Cook called a watershed moment. Cook visited China several times in 2013, and Apple has opened several new retail stores in the country in 2014, including locations in Wuxi, Chongqing, and Beijing.

The Apple Watch marks Apple's first foray into the fashion world, and the company has been working to position it as a high-fashion accessory. In addition to getting its editorial debut in Vogue China, the Apple Watch saw its retail debut at French luxury boutique Colette in late September.

voguespread.jpg
Apple is likely to hold additional fashion-oriented events as the Apple Watch's early 2015 debut date approaches, aiming to promote the device as much as possible. Apple may also take a variety of approaches in its Apple Watch advertising, to reach a wide range of potential customers. June rumors suggested the Apple Watch was also being tested with multiple professional athletes that could also take part in future advertisements.

The Apple Watch is expected to launch in early 2015 and the device will be available in a wide range of materials and at several different price points. On the lower end, the Sport version of the device will retail for $349, and rumors have suggested the higher-end solid gold Edition models could sell for thousands of dollars.

Article Link: Apple Watch to be Featured in November Issue of Vogue China

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
It looks great on the model. I can't imagine how huge and ridiculous the Moto 360 would look on her.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Apple getting into fashion. They have already reinvented the computer, music, and the phone. next the watch, and then fashion.

Amazing...

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
It looks great on the model. I can't imagine how huge and ridiculous the Moto 360 would look on her.

I've seen the Moto 360. It's quite nice, except for the black bar for drivers at the bottom. Excited for the Apple Watch release as well.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Apple is being very smart promoting the :apple:Watch on fashion magazines and world. That will help them big time spread their foothold on the watch industry.

aevelasquez

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Miami, FL
I'm actually starting to see the fashionable side to the Watch the more I see things like this. It's far more fashionable than any other watch within that realm of function that we'll see for a long time.

dav1dd

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Oz
I love fashion, but this product fails, as do the people that wear it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My guess is Apple will initially target women more than men. You don't court Vogue if you're going after men. Perhaps Apple thinks it will be tougher to get men to part with their traditional watches so go for women first.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Times have changed for Technology. Thirty years ago the watch would be on MacWorld Magazine. Now it is on Vogue and MacWorld does not exist.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Great shot on the cover. Really well done highlighting the watch with other fashion. Love the composition of the photo.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Seems appropriate. It is a seriously good looking product.

----------

So... successful CEO's and fashion models? Because that's all we've seen wearing it thus far.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Great shot on the cover. Really well done highlighting the watch with other fashion. Love the composition of the photo.

This Apple commissioned shot was done by fashion stylist Karl Templar. I'm not surprised Apple is going down this route. I suspect we'll see a fair amount of advertising in magazines like Vogue, GQ, etc.

A21772x04_BEACH_AMELIA_R3-2.jpg

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
This Apple commissioned shot was done by fashion stylist Karl Templar. I'm not surprised Apple is going down this route. I suspect we'll see a fair amount of advertising in magazines like Vogue, GQ, etc.

I love that shot! Very classy.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
My guess is Apple will initially target women more than men. You don't court Vogue if you're going after men. Perhaps Apple thinks it will be tougher to get men to part with their traditional watches so go for women first.

Maybe it will be in GQ next... Women have a huge influence on how men dress. So, their strategy is understandable :).

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Buy or not buy comes down to...
1. Battery life (1 week at least please)
2. Water resistant or not (ideally I want to surf with it)
3. How often do they plan on refreshing (if annually, count me out)

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

Who really fails? The model in the photo who is among the top 5 paid in the world, or the guy who spends time caring about what other people choose to wear and uses that to form an opinion about them as people?

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
how did she make the cover, to me, she doesn't look pretty and she looks like a guy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.