Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Tips for organizing your Macintosh

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Tips for organizing your Macintosh
Description:: Your computer can store large numbers of files, folders, documents, and applications. Making sure information is organized to suit your needs can help you work smarter and more efficiently.

Mac OS X provides basic organizational structure, such as a dedicated Applications folder and personal home folders for each user, in addition to plenty of features that make it easy to sort and store the information that is important to you.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:34 PM   #2
dylan
macrumors 6502

Even if these tips were usefull it would still be irrevelent with spotlight...
dylan is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3
macsupport
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Even if these tips were usefull it would still be irrevelent with spotlight...
I still think it is a good idea to know the structure of certain files and folders in Mac OS X.

Spotlight is handy for finding files that you can't remember where you have saved them but with the way that Mac OS X is structured if you keep your files in the correct place (eg. within your users home folders and subfolders) you probably won't need to use spotlight all that often.

But don't get me wrong, spotlight has come in very handy on occasion looking for a long lost file.
macsupport is offline   0
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:42 AM   #4
gammamonk
macrumors 6502a

I think the best idea for keeping things safe I've had, is using a compact-flash card for all my documents. I have it permanently in the PC card slot in my powerbook, and all my webpage updates / resume / docs / code / etc all live there.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:54 AM   #5
macsupport
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammamonk
I think the best idea for keeping things safe I've had, is using a compact-flash card for all my documents. I have it permanently in the PC card slot in my powerbook, and all my webpage updates / resume / docs / code / etc all live there.
I do the exact same thing but with a USB memory stick. Works perfect and I can take most of my documents with me when I am away from my Mac and have to access them somewhere else.

I have learned from past experience that you can never have to many backups so I also keep an external drive of my cloned hard disk at all times also. I have run into to many clients coming my way saying that there hard drive is not working. The first thing I ask is "You have a backup right?" Most often the answer is "NO". It would save them so much time and money if they had only backed up.
macsupport is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion