Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luisramz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Hello everybody

After getting a bad diagnose for my old mac pro 1,1. my cinema display and 4gb (2x2gb) of ram memory were broken and I was left with a working 1gb (2x512mb) cpu... :(

I bought a NEC EA244WMi 24" monitor and 8gb (2x4gb) ram memory and put everything in place

After the first boot I got 9gbs and a working monitor but also a weird message from the expansion slot utility which I am attaching here

2wxUcP.png

also here is my graphics/display screenshot

0oFtAa.png

This is the first time I get this message and I am not sure what it is, hope you can give me some help or advise

Thanks

zayaso

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Your card appears to need a x16 PCI-E (16 lanes)interface to work properly and your MP has 4 PCI-E slots for a max total of 26 lanes.
By default your first slot is x16 , second is x1, third & fourth is x4 (25 lanes with your max being 26). However, if you introduce another PCI-E card into your system, your MP will ask you how to configure your lanes- the screenshots you provided.
According to your screenshot, slot #1 is vacant- move your card there and the problem should be resolved.

luisramz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Problem solved

I changed the graphics card to slot 1 and here it goes!!

AzY0t1.png

Thank you very much guys!!

ulrich norman

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Is it possible to run slot3 with 8times rather than slot4. I have two ATI-Radeon HD 5770 1024MB. Each card occupies 2 slots. The first card goes to slot 1. The only configuration offered by the expansion slot utility with 8x for a second slot is for slot 4. But the card can only be put in slot 3, because it is too thick. Thats why I am asking how to change the configuration to
slot 4
slot 3 8x
slot 2
slot 1 16x

or slot 1 and 2 to 16x

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is it possible to run slot3 with 8times rather than slot4. I have two ATI-Radeon HD 5770 1024MB. Each card occupies 2 slots. The first card goes to slot 1. The only configuration offered by the expansion slot utility with 8x for a second slot is for slot 4. But the card can only be put in slot 3, because it is too thick. Thats why I am asking how to change the configuration to
slot 4
slot 3 8x
slot 2
slot 1 16x

or slot 1 and 2 to 16x

I don't think so. But I believe the performance impact is just few % (unless some specific software that really bandwidth limiting), you may run some benchmarking software to test it.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
im not even shore if a 7300 GT will have speed problems even with a 8x lane, if you want to keep it in slot 2.

in windows my GTX770 is only on a x16 lane and in afterbuner i tend to only see the lane being 20-30% used, if i remember ill try luxmarks and see what usage is (as i gess that may be more than in games?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.