Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An internal memo addressed to Walgreens employees designed to prepare them for the upcoming launch of Apple Pay suggests that Apple's new payments service might be going live on Saturday, October 18.

A Saturday launch is unusual, but it could make sense as Apple Pay is designed for in-store shopping and a weekend debut would give customers time to try the service. It is, however, also possible that Apple Pay will go live shortly before the October 18 date, following the company's Thursday, October 16 iPad event, with support coming to Walgreens a day or two later.

walgreensapplepay.jpg
At its October 16 event, Apple is expected to debut a new iPad Air, Retina iMacs, and possibly a new Retina iPad mini. The event, which will also likely see Apple previewing OS X Yosemite one last time before its public debut, would also be an opportune time to divulge more information about Apple Pay and possibly even launch the payments service.

As announced on September 9, popular drug store Walgreens is one of Apple's major launch partners, along with other companies like McDonalds, Macy's, Staples, and more. According to the Walgreens memo, customers who have an iPhone 6 will be able to use Apple Pay in Walgreens stores by tapping their devices "to the upper portion of the pinpad to pay for their purchase."

Earlier this week, USAA assistant vice president Vikram Parekh suggested the bank would begin supporting Apple Pay on November 7, leading many to believe the service might see an official launch on that date, but it is possible that USAA and other banks may roll out support at different times following the launch of Apple Pay. Apple originally promised an October launch for Apple Pay when it unveiled the service.

Apple Pay will be enabled on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices through an update to iOS 8. iOS 8.1, which has already been seeded to developers, includes hidden Apple Pay settings and set up screens. With Apple Pay set to launch on or around the time of Apple's October 16 event, that also means we should be seeing iOS 8.1 at that time as well.

Thanks, Enrique!

Article Link: Walgreens Planning for October 18 Apple Pay Launch

joshwenke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
Well, I guess that means I'll be shopping at Walgreens! :D

Hope more stores take the lead on this one.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
CVS has it already. All this article does is say Apple Pay will launch on Oct 18!

Hopefully iOS 8.1 will not only bring Apple Pay but fix these horrendous wifi issues I've been having!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Wait, I thought NFC was contactless technology. Why do you have to tap?

I was wondering about that - but I think on some pin pad/readers that might activate the NFC stuff on them. Supposedly the ones we have at Target have it - but there is nothing to tap. It looks like you just "get close" and it is active according to what I read on the Verifone site.

Note, not that Target will accept Apple Pay in the store... because they are an online partner. But the new readers ARE able to do it.

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver

NFC stands for Near Field Communication which is essentially a euphemism for tap. Although they are not literally touching, the two chips have to be in very close proximity of each other to work.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Seems like a terrible idea to travel without your credit cards.

LOL, I live an hour away and will be there for the day each day. I'll leave them somewhere locked up - because carrying everything is a pain. I have low monetary needs while there most of the time. And, obviously, i'll still need at least one card in case it doesn't work well.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I've seen NFC payment at some businesses long before Apple announced ApplePay, so isApple just sort of adopting them and calling them ApplePay?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I was wondering about that - but I think on some pin pad/readers that might activate the NFC stuff on them. Supposedly the ones we have at Target have it - but there is nothing to tap. It looks like you just "get close" and it is active according to what I read on the Verifone site.

Note, not that Target will accept Apple Pay in the store... because they are an online partner. But the new readers ARE able to do it.

NFC stands for Near Field Communication which is essentially a euphemism for tap. Although they are not literally touching, the two chips have to be in very close proximity of each other to work.

I think it suggests tapping just to make sure the phone is close enough to the pinpad, even if tapping isn't strictly necessary.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I've seen NFC payment at some businesses long before Apple announced ApplePay, so isApple just sort of adopting them and calling them ApplePay?

Apple Pay uses standard NFC, the Apple part is between your bank and what is on the phone, all backend stuff. Anywhere that takes NFC payments should take Apple Pay without issue (hmmm, which should mean US peeps traveling outside of the US can use it right?)

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
This is what sets Apple apart from other tech companies. They are coordinated and when they set their minds to it, they can get something implemented quickly and correctly.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Apple Pay uses standard NFC, the Apple part is between your bank and what is on the phone, all backend stuff. Anywhere that takes NFC payments should take Apple Pay without issue (hmmm, which should mean US peeps traveling outside of the US can use it right?)

Doesn't the bank that issues your card have to allow Apple pay? Otherwise how does your card number get converted into a DAN and mapped back to the credit card account at the card Issuer? Or all Visa cards, no matter what bank issued it, can work with this? Why did Apple partner with certain banks like Wells Fargo then?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I buy my beer and Johnnie Walker Black (when it's a good payday) at Walgreens liquor store. Their current process for paying with a debit card is a pain in the ass. Can't wait to use my iPhone 6 Plus ;)

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Doesn't the bank that issues your card have to allow Apple pay? Otherwise how does your card number get converted into a DAN and mapped back to the credit card account at the card Issuer? Or all Visa cards, no matter what bank issued it, can work with this? Why did Apple partner with certain banks like Wells Fargo then?

If you noticed what he said

the Apple part is between your bank and what is on the phone, all backend stuff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.