Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
OK I never use screen protectors with my smartphones. I've had 3gs,gs2,note 2, gs4and iPhone 5 and never had even a tiny scratch on my screen. But I've had the iPhone 6 for over a week and there is already a scratch on it.

This is the first time where I actually feel like I need a screen protector on my phone. I use feel they weren't necessary.

Anyone else notice any scratches on their phone yet?

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
There are already a few threads about this.

But yes, I never had a scratch on my 3GS over two years, and only a tiny scratch that appeared on my 4S screen after three years. And I've been babying my 6 Plus since I got it (even more so after the reports of bending), and there's a long, thin scratch in the middle of the display.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
That's always been the case for me (tiny micro-scratches you can see when the light shines on it at a certain angle), I believe it's the oleophobic coating but I could be wrong.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
I've owned the...2g 3gs 4 5 and currently the 6...I've never used screen protectors or cases. Of your course you'll get scratches, but I highly doubt you'll see them when the screen is on and if you can see them you suck at taking care of your 800 dollar phone.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It's not the screen that usually gets scratched its the Oleophobic coating. Get a good screen protector and save yourself aggravation

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
A scratched screen is the most agitating thing on an iPhone IMO... Even the small ones are agitating. My advice is get a screen protector it'll save you aggravation for sure

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
They are definitely more noticeable on the black bezels of the iphone as opposed to those with the white bezels. I have a few small scratches already on the black bezels of the glass near the top and bottom.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
My wife keeps hers in a case and has babied her iPhone 6 and she has a micro scratch on it. She has never had a scratch on her 3,4,or 5 so it worries me too.

I put a claim in with AMEX for accidental damage to replace screen and then we are going to have a screen protector out on for the first time in our time with IPhones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 399

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
SCREENGATE!

Why is it that whenever one or two people have an issue, it always - ALWAYS - is an issue that will affect ALL iPhones?

Seriously. Your screen or coating scratched. It happens. Doesn't mean that the whole of all iPhone 6 & 6+ 's have a huge issue.

**** happens.

I've had my 6 since day two. Nada. No screen protector either.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
It definitely seems like the iPhone 6 is very susceptible to scratches. I thought the glass was the same as the 4 and 5? They must have changed the formula to be softer and more flexible so it does not shatter when it is in your back pocket and sit down.

A little warning on this would have been nice. I happily gave up screen protectors a long time ago, but time to slap em back on.

B

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
My screens perfect :), I'm super careful with it though...knock on wood - wouldn't want to cause damage to my phone and blame apple.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
The screen on the 6 IMO is more susceptible to scratches. I went caseless with my i5/i5s and not a single scratch on either, I've had my i6+ from launch and already a few scratches. After my trip I am going to call AppleCare+ and request a replacement as this isn't acceptable quality for a premium quality product.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Not sure about scratches, but the glass on the 6+ definitely seems different than the glass used on the iPhone 4/5, and not in a good way: It almost seems like plastic to me. Seems a lot lot lot more glossy and fragile.

Could be the size or the rounded edges that make me feel this way, but I do. My phone went from plastic wrap to screen protector instantly; I always put screen covers on my phones, though, so I can't say much for the scratch resistance on the 6/+. I can, however, whole heartedly agree that the screens on the 4-5S was very scratch resistant. I've seen many that were used for years with no screen covers on them (even some with a tiny little chip or so on the corners) and no scratches. Amazed me. iPhone 6 screens seem a lot more fragile, though.

Does anyone know if the gold coating comes off easily at all? I know the black Slate color of the iPhone 5 did.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
I agree that the glass seems to be different than previous models. On day 2 I got three scratches that are visible when theres a white background on the screen. I keep the phone in my front pocket with nothing else in it.

I used my iPhone 4 without a case for its final months, and for 3 years with a case before that. Not a single scratch.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
OK I never use screen protectors with my smartphones. I've had 3gs,gs2,note 2, gs4and iPhone 5 and never had even a tiny scratch on my screen. But I've had the iPhone 6 for over a week and there is already a scratch on it.

This is the first time where I actually feel like I need a screen protector on my phone. I use feel they weren't necessary.

sigh, its the same gorilla glass as the 5 and 5S.

end of story

nia820

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
I agree that the glass seems to be different than previous models. On day 2 I got three scratches that are visible when theres a white background on the screen. I keep the phone in my front pocket with nothing else in it.

I used my iPhone 4 without a case for its final months, and for 3 years with a case before that. Not a single scratch.

This is what I'm saying. People are dismissing this issue as just being careless with your phone. But I know about 6 people who have iPhone 6 and plus who are experiencing this same issue with scratches that they never had before.

I treat my smartphones like a new born baby. Never had issues with scratches until now.

I

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

screen-gate? bend-gate! I've never known a phone to be so high-maintenance. It's not like it's made in Germany.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
It probably just uses a different oleophobic coating.

Put a screen protector on it, and it will probably even make any scratches that are on it now disappear.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
My wife keeps hers in a case and has babied her iPhone 6 and she has a micro scratch on it. She has never had a scratch on her 3,4,or 5 so it worries me too.

I put a claim in with AMEX for accidental damage to replace screen and then we are going to have a screen protector out on for the first time in our time with IPhones.

Usually if you put a screen protector on the micro scratches disappear since it's not a scratch on the actual glass but the coating.

----------

screen-gate? bend-gate! I've never known a phone to be so high-maintenance. It's not like it's made in Germany.

Reminds me of some women. :rolleyes: :D

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
This is what I'm saying. People are dismissing this issue as just being careless with your phone. But I know about 6 people who have iPhone 6 and plus who are experiencing this same issue with scratches that they never had before.

I treat my smartphones like a new born baby. Never had issues with scratches until now.

I

its the SAME glass as the 5 and 5S. It is something that YOU did.

either keys, coins, whatever it may be, hell even something very small on a kitchen table and you lay it face down.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Here's what has always worked for me: just don't care about scratches. The screen itself is very hard to scratch. If you do get scratches, it's on the oleo phobic layer has some others have pointed out. But those scratches are usually so faint as to be nearly imperceptible unless you're actively looking for them. They certainly don't detract from the functionality of the phone in any way.

Easier said than done, depending on your personality. But it's worked for me and I've stopped using screen protectors altogether.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That's always been the case for me (tiny micro-scratches you can see when the light shines on it at a certain angle), I believe it's the oleophobic coating but I could be wrong.

Of course it's still scratched though.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
its the SAME glass as the 5 and 5S. It is something that YOU did.

either keys, coins, whatever it may be, hell even something very small on a kitchen table and you lay it face down.

Mentioned this in another thread, but it's not the same glass. IPhone 5 series had Gorilla Glass 2, while the 6/6+ has 'ion-tempered' glass. If it had Gorilla Glass, Apple would have said as much - as GG is the industry standard more or less, and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to advertise the utilization of the best material(s) possible.

The 6/6+ was supposed to have Sapphire Glass, and when that didn't go through, a quick replacement was needed that most likely was not Gorilla Glass.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's the difference between ion-infused glass and gorilla glass? Is the latter stronger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.