Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
I updated my Ipad 2, model A1396 few weeks ago to IOS 8 and is working very poorly, lets say in general very slow.
I am trying to downgrade to IOS 7, and according to most of the information online I need to download and ipsw file and then go on Itunes clicking alt and update software. All good there, but when I choose the file and Itunes tries to install the software it says that my device could not be updated. "this devide isnt elegible for the requested build".
I thing could be the problem is that I have the wrong Ios file for this ipad, but I have tried few of them with the same result.
Any ideas or anybody who knows the exact file I need?
So far I had try
iPad2,2_7.0_11A465_Restore.ipsw
iPad2,2_6.1_10B141_Restore.ipsw
iPad2,2_7.0.2_11A501_Restore.ipsw
iPad2,2_7.1.2_11D257_Restore.ipsw

Thanks,

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The reason you are getting that error message is because Apple stopped signing/authorizing iOS 7. So unfortunately you are now stuck with iOS 8.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Sadly it's impossible. My mom has an iPad 2 and the other day she asked me if she needs to update and I told her hell no! It's really a shame you can't downgrade.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
they should of dropped iOS 8 for iPad 2. Hell even the 4S has 1GB of ram.

but then again the iPod 5th Gen works ok, i assume its because of the faster processor

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
^

That's not correct. The 4s has 512mb as well. They should have both been dropped.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
^

That's not correct. The 4s has 512mb as well. They should have both been dropped.

Neither should be dropped. The iPad 2 has 29 percent share of the installed base of iPads (Plus the iPad Mini which is like a shrunken down iPad 2 has 20 Percent of the market share) and the iPhone 4S has 20 percent share of the installed base of iPhones.

Apple sold the iPad 2 up to March this year and the iPhone 4S till September and still sells the iPad Mini 1 and iPod Touch 5th Gen so Apple should be responsible for that an ensure that iOS 8 is optimised for A5 devices.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
they should of dropped iOS 8 for iPad 2. Hell even the 4S has 1GB of ram.

but then again the iPod 5th Gen works ok, i assume its because of the faster processor

I discovered early on that it wasn't always the smartest thing to immediately download the latest iOS updates - or even update apps immediately - at least not without waiting a bit and reading the reviews of those who boldly went before me.

That's why my iPad 2 is still efficiently running iOS 7.1 and that's where it will stay. I will update my iPod Touch 5 whenever I get around to it, just out of curiosity.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
I discovered early on that it wasn't always the smartest thing to immediately download the latest iOS updates - or even update apps immediately - at least not without waiting a bit and reading the reviews of those who boldly went before me.

That's why my iPad 2 is still efficiently running iOS 7.1 and that's where it will stay. I will update my iPod Touch 5 whenever I get around to it, just out of curiosity.

iPod 5 Is ok,

but i have to retest my damn app FULLY because of the lack of ram.

God why the F did they give it only 512 MB of ram, was 1 GB so had to put in?

Soks

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
Planet-Earth...ish.
I just updated my iPad 2 to IOS 8 a couple of days ago...and needless to say - I'm NOT happy with it. It runs slow as hell.

It's completely unacceptable that Apple doesn't allow downgrading.

Instead I'm left with an iPad, that I was happy with a week ago, but gives me a sour taste in my mouth every time I use it now. Which is daily.

****ers!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I just updated my iPad 2 to IOS 8 a couple of days ago...and needless to say - I'm NOT happy with it. It runs slow as hell.

It's completely unacceptable that Apple doesn't allow downgrading.

Instead I'm left with an iPad, that I was happy with a week ago, but gives me a sour taste in my mouth every time I use it now. Which is daily.

****ers!

You'll need to wait for 8.1 as the beta testers say it improves performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.