Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Google has a much higher rate of innovation than any other company. And Android will always be the platform of choice to use their services. Google Now by itself is reason enough.

Apple's business is to sell you hardware and make you upgrade as often as possible.
Google's business is to make information more available and useful to everyone via its services.

While Siri has remained a toy, Now and Cortana are much more advanced. Same for Maps. Apple simply will never be able to match software innovation, they have neither the talent nor the desire, and it doesn't affect their business.

Apple does its own share of integration like Continuity but unless you are totally locked into iDevices, they are useless. And I'm not going to tell all my friends/family to switch to Apple and discard what they use now.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Google has a much higher rate of innovation than any other company. And Android will always be the platform of choice to use their services. Google Now by itself is reason enough.

Apple's business is to sell you hardware and make you upgrade as often as possible.
Google's business is to make information more available and useful to everyone via its services.

While Siri has remained a toy, Now and Cortana are much more advanced. Same for Maps. Apple simply will never be able to match software innovation, they have neither the talent nor the desire, and it doesn't affect their business.

Apple does its own share of integration like Continuity but unless you are totally locked into iDevices, they are useless. And I'm not going to tell all my friends/family to switch to Apple and discard what they use now.

Innovation is subjective. The fact that iMessage allows you to send messages from any other map through a drop down menu is intuitive even though LG had it before. Apple was the first mainstream brand to use a 64 bit processor even though it's mainly a selling point. Apple's software does well for a reason since it sells simple, minimalistic, and to the point. I will admit that Google is more "innovative" than Apple in my opinion since they push newer ideas. However, Samsung innovates with their Touchwiz features. They were the first to use multi-window at a mainstream level. As for someone who changed to Apple for a few days, I felt like it had good execution, but not great. It's very limited, but I can understand why it's successful and popular. My days of Apple bashing are pretty much over since I did enjoy the product in some areas.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

I will give you a reason to use an iOS device instead of Android.

The iPhone represents more than 50% of Apple's revenue, which is huge. And I am not even counting the iPad. Google's revenue comes from advertising. iOS is Apple's business, Android is not Google's business. Google's business is a very powerful search engine. Apple will put any sum of money in iOS to develop it and make it stay ahead of competition. Google will do that for its search engine, but certainly not for Android.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I will give you a reason to use an iOS device instead of Android.

The iPhone represents more than 50% of Apple's revenue, which is huge. And I am not even counting the iPad. Google's revenue comes from advertising. iOS is Apple's business, Android is not Google's business. Google's business is a very powerful search engine. Apple will put any sum of money in iOS to develop it and make it stay ahead of competition. Google will do that for its search engine, but certainly not for Android.

I am sorry, but you're making a really questionable statement. "Apple will put any sum of money in iOS to develop it and make it stay ahead of competition. Google will do that for its search engine, but certainly not for Android?" Google develops the software for the Nexus line and other OEMs use their source code to design their own roms. Google has made some strives that Apple needed to implement to provide their customers with something or two. For example, battery history became a mainstay under Android. Now, the usage function is in iOS. It works both ways, Apple creates something, people take it and reform it. Google creates something, Apple reforms it. For example, iMessage is one of the most iconic functions on an iPhone. Google created Hangouts to match iMessage. It may not have the same level of popularity, but Hangouts does most of the same functions.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
The key is to become a smartuser of dumbdevices, compared to a dumbuser of smartdevices. And for this, Android devices and Intel-based Windows 8.1 tablets are the best, iOS is the worst.

By dumbuser of smartdevices I mean a user who's completely locked in into an ecosystem, a cobweb of clouds, lack of file system, restricted apps, proprietary file formats, fashion before functionality, zealotism before rationality. In this case, the device is smart in a sense that it's like a spider spreads a web and catches a dumb fly and jumps on it and drinks its blood.

And by smartuser of dumbdevices I mean a user who's free of any ecosystem, doesn't use any cloud, uses local storage instead (with syncronization between devices using either direct copy or Dropbox), app store without gestapo, common file formats, funtionality before fashion, rationality before zealotism. In this case, the user is smart in a sense that he's like a horse rider who uses horses for his purposes and can change horses if needed.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

This sounds like a google employee.

Any company's business is to make money. Apple and google are good at what they do. Apple makes better hardware than google IMO. Apple is a true computer company, offering phones, tablets, and real computers/laptops with software they've created. They all work together well and the hardware is nice.Google is very good at getting people to use their search and ad based services. Their hardware is inferior IMO but their focus is overall marketshare, at the expense of maximum profit margin. They give out android to other oems and let them throw skins on it, meaning people start getting different experiences of what they call android.

Frankly I think google wishes they could copy apples business model. Apple has a true hardware lineup to keep customers. Osx is a great os, something that google hasn't done yet. Their closest thing is a chrome book. Apples App Store is still the best and while iOS can be limited, having apple products opens up capabilities on both iOS and osx that make owning iPhones/macs really beneficial.

On the other hand apple wants googles overall marketshare in mobile. Hence the 2 new iPhone sizes. People buying iPhones are more likely to buy iPads, MacBooks and macs, and using/buying other things like apps. Google wants that loyalty apple has but they'll have to really start making a whole portfolio of hardware in addition to software to get there. Not just android but make real computers with real os. Because IMO apple will have an easier time succeeding than google.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
This sounds like a google employee.

Any company's business is to make money. Apple and google are good at what they do. Apple makes better hardware than google IMO. Apple is a true computer company, offering phones, tablets, and real computers/laptops with software they've created. They all work together well and the hardware is nice.Google is very good at getting people to use their search and ad based services. Their hardware is inferior IMO but their focus is overall marketshare, at the expense of maximum profit margin. They give out android to other oems and let them throw skins on it, meaning people start getting different experiences of what they call android.

Frankly I think google wishes they could copy apples business model. Apple has a true hardware lineup to keep customers. Osx is a great os, something that google hasn't done yet. Their closest thing is a chrome book. Apples App Store is still the best and while iOS can be limited, having apple products opens up capabilities on both iOS and osx that make owning iPhones/macs really beneficial.

On the other hand apple wants googles overall marketshare in mobile. Hence the 2 new iPhone sizes. People buying iPhones are more likely to buy iPads, MacBooks and macs, and using/buying other things like apps. Google wants that loyalty apple has but they'll have to really start making a whole portfolio of hardware in addition to software to get there. Not just android but make real computers with real os. Because IMO apple will have an easier time succeeding than google.

Google doesn't want Apples business model. No one does. Apple is literally a one product company. If the iPhone were to suddenly disappear, Apple loses 80% of its profits! Macs and iPads don't sell nearly enough to sustain Apple, iPods are dead and OSX is given away for free to consumers. Now granted, the iPhone is not going away, but Google is a diversified company that is touching many different sectors from Robotics, to internet networks, to micro-satellites, to self-driving cars, etc. Google is far from being just an advert company. BTW, Google doesn't need loyalty from anyone. Google IS the internet.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
One reason - No iTunes

Android is really the only OPEN platform out there. Before that was Symbian which was the #1 mobile OS during the previous generation. I tried iOS, webOS, BlackBerry OS, and Windows Phone. They all are closed and had many restrictions or needed certain programs to work.

And generally many Android homescreens can start looking different because of the custom skin, widgets, and theme you are using. You can't say the same for iOS and Windows Phone where they generally all look the same except the difference in background wallpaper used or apps.

But to Microsoft's credit, Windows Phone really does have the most UNIQUE interface out there while iOS and Android are refinements of the prev mobile OSes like Windows Mobile and Symbian. Rows of static icons. I find it ironic that when Microsoft copied Apple's UI ideas (ahem, Xerox), they win the desktop battle. Android does the same and they win the mobile battle. When Xiaomi copies Apple, they become successful. But when Microsoft doesn't copy Apple is when they aren't successful.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The key is to become a smartuser of dumbdevices, compared to a dumbuser of smartdevices. And for this, Android devices and Intel-based Windows 8.1 tablets are the best, iOS is the worst.

By dumbuser of smartdevices I mean a user who's completely locked in into an ecosystem, a cobweb of clouds, lack of file system, restricted apps, proprietary file formats, fashion before functionality, zealotism before rationality. In this case, the device is smart in a sense that it's like a spider spreads a web and catches a dumb fly and jumps on it and drinks its blood.

And by smartuser of dumbdevices I mean a user who's free of any ecosystem, doesn't use any cloud, uses local storage instead (with syncronization between devices using either direct copy or Dropbox), app store without gestapo, common file formats, funtionality before fashion, rationality before zealotism. In this case, the user is smart in a sense that he's like a horse rider who uses horses for his purposes and can change horses if needed.

That's an elitist's way of thinking. I don't understand this mentality where a device has to be difficult to use (or at least, not as simplified and streamlined as it could be) and if people can't figure it out, it's somehow their fault and theirs alone.

To me, what Apple has demonstrated that form and function aren't mutually exclusive (or at least, that they don't have to be). They deliver products that look great and work great (for me at least).

You are right that a rationale consumer uses the best products for whatever purpose there is. For me, that's Apple, and I could not be happier using them.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Google doesn't want Apples business model. No one does. Apple is literally a one product company. If the iPhone were to suddenly disappear, Apple loses 80% of its profits! Macs and iPads don't sell nearly enough to sustain Apple, iPods are dead and OSX is given away for free to consumers. Now granted, the iPhone is not going away, but Google is a diversified company that is touching many different sectors from Robotics, to internet networks, to micro-satellites, to self-driving cars, etc. Google is far from being just an advert company. BTW, Google doesn't need loyalty from anyone. Google IS the internet.

This is a good point. Apple knows its revenues are tied to iPhone sales, and they want to enter other sectors, like with iWatch, AppleTv, but success is far from guaranteed.

Apple is a product company. Google is a services and platforms company. MS is trying to become a services company. IBM realized its products weren't selling a long time ago and became a pure services company.

No one expects Apple to change the world, they expect Apple to deliver polished gadgets with very usable UI's in an attractive package.

Everyone expects companies like Google to change the world, and they have with their products transformed the Internet.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I hope you realize a significantly greater percentage of Google's revenue comes from advertising/Google websites than the iPhone does for Apple.

And its percentage only dipped from 96% of it's income in 2011 predominantly because of it's acquisition of Motorola. With the completion of that sale, ad revenue is once again expected to account for over 90% of their revenue.

Source

Google certainly likes to dabble in all sorts of areas but all of this comes specifically from their advertising income. If Google all of a sudden lost this source of revenue, Google itself would disappear.

If you want to label any of these companies a one trick pony, Google is far more deserving of the moniker.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I hope you realize a significantly greater percentage of Google's revenue comes from advertising/Google websites than the iPhone does for Apple.

And its percentage only dipped from 96% of it's income in 2011 predominantly because of it's acquisition of Motorola. With the completion of that sale, ad revenue is once again expected to account for over 90% of their revenue.

Source

Google certainly likes to dabble in all sorts of areas but all of this comes specifically from their advertising income. If Google all of a sudden lost this source of revenue, Google itself would disappear.

If you want to label any of these companies a one trick pony, Google is far more deserving of the moniker.
Google does not make money from all these projects, therefore they are not listed. That does not exclude the fact that Google is investing in the future in a multitude of businesses and tech arenas. Apple is a hardware company and that is all they will ever be. Google is the internet/robotics/self driving cars/wearables/what? That is the difference I am conveying.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I disagree. Nobody wants apples business model? Really? Googles business model is ad revenue. brand loyalty is a factor and apple has managed to be very good at it. I understand google dabbles in technologies but I'm talking about business and profitability. Google wants marketshare, it's why they give away android to oems and let's them throw skins on it. It's also why they created the nexus line. I'm sure they wish they could make money off hardware but honestly they are not good at hardware. And while android is nice, they dont have a real os for computers to tie everything together. Bash iOS if u want but iOS and osx are a great partnership for consumers.

Meanwhile apple wants marketshare but they won't sacrifice profit for it. They don't have to IMO. Their iPhone outsells the previous iPhone every year it seems. Yes it's their main income but that's normal for most of these companies. They have a flagship source of income. So apple has 2 new iPhone sizes. Rumored iPad pro/12 inch MBA (still don't know). Beats acquisition. They will gain marketshare easier than google gaining profitibility IMO.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I disagree. Nobody wants apples business model? Really? Googles business model is ad revenue. brand loyalty is a factor and apple has managed to be very good at it. I understand google dabbles in technologies but I'm talking about business and profitability. Google wants marketshare, it's why they give away android to oems and let's them throw skins on it. It's also why they created the nexus line. I'm sure they wish they could make money off hardware but honestly they are not good at hardware. And while android is nice, they dont have a real os for computers to tie everything together. Bash iOS if u want but iOS and osx are a great partnership for consumers.

Meanwhile apple wants marketshare but they won't sacrifice profit for it. They don't have to IMO. Their iPhone outsells the previous iPhone every year it seems. Yes it's their main income but that's normal for most of these companies. They have a flagship source of income. So apple has 2 new iPhone sizes. Rumored iPad pro/12 inch MBA (still don't know). Beats acquisition. They will gain marketshare easier than google gaining profitibility IMO.
1. Android is not given away for free if you plan to use Google's services and apps.
2. Google wants market share? They own 90% market share worldwide as the smartphone OS of choice and Chrome is on more computers today than OSX has been on Macs (that is every Mac ever made in the history of Apple).
3. Beats acquisition? That was an acquihire. Apple is already shuttering the online service and Bose appears to be shutting Beats products out of sports. I don't think Apple cares for any of the Beats hardware or software.
4. iPad sales have been steadily declining and the iPhone 6+ is likely the nail in the coffin for iPad mini line.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
We should choose Android over iOS because Google makes innovative software? That's a good point, I wish I could get Google Maps, Google Now, GMail etc. on my iPhone. ;)

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
We should choose Android over iOS because Google makes innovative software? That's a good point, I wish I could get Google Maps, Google Now, GMail etc. on my iPhone. ;)
One thing surprised me regarding Google's services on iOS. I knew that apps like Google Maps, Google Drive, Google Now, Google+ and the basic apps were on iOS, but I had no idea that I could get Google Wallet, google movies, books, docs, sheets and so on on iOS as well. in fact, almost every single Google app is on iOS. I love that about the iPhone. Makes it very easy to move back and forth between my iPhone and Android phones since all my data remains constant and auto updated between platforms.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
1. Android is not given away for free if you plan to use Google's services and apps.

2. Google wants market share? They own 90% market share worldwide as the smartphone OS of choice and Chrome is on more computers today than OSX has been on Macs (that is every Mac ever made in the history of Apple).

3. Beats acquisition? That was an acquihire. Apple is already shuttering the online service and Bose appears to be shutting Beats products out of sports. I don't think Apple cares for any of the Beats hardware or software.

4. iPad sales have been steadily declining and the iPhone 6+ is likely the nail in the coffin for iPad mini line.

Android is basically freeware, given to oems.

Googles always been about marketshare, hence letting all the oems do what they want to android just to get their services out, at the expense of profit margin. They make subpar hardware period because it's not their focus. Chrome browser is very popular yes. Where's the real desktop os? Do u actually own or use a chromebook, or is there something I'm missing? I know osx and iOS. They work harmoniously and osx is a real os.

Bose shutting down beats out of sports? Lol ok I didn't know the nfl was the only sport in the world. And nfl athletes are still showing off beats. Ask kaepernick.

Hmm iPad mini dead? Lol I wouldn't bet on it. Is the iPad the number one selling tablet? I think so. But lemme guess apple is doomed huh lol

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Android is basically freeware, given to oems.

Googles always been about marketshare, hence letting all the oems do what they want to android just to get their services out, at the expense of profit margin. They make subpar hardware period because it's not their focus. Chrome browser is very popular yes. Where's the real desktop os? Do u actually own or use a chromebook, or is there something I'm missing? I know osx and iOS. They work harmoniously and osx is a real os.

Bose shutting down beats out of sports? Lol ok I didn't know the nfl was the only sport in the world. And nfl athletes are still showing off beats. Ask kaepernick.

Hmm iPad mini dead? Lol I wouldn't bet on it. Is the iPad the number one selling tablet? I think so. But lemme guess apple is doomed huh lol
Android as a base is freeware. Google's Android apps are licensed. Why do you think Samsung made copies of Google's apps for their store? Why do you think Cyanogen can't include Google apps with their OS? Or why you can't get Google Apps with Amazon's tablets?

Google has subpar hardware? You mean like the Nexus 5? The Chromecast? I think you'll find your opinion in the minority there. I happen to own Roku 3's, Apple TV 3's and Chrome casts. Out of the 3, which has the most out of date hardware and has the most issues. I'll give you a hint: starts with an A.

You asked if I own a Chromebook, and as a matter of fact I do. chrome actually works quite well as an OS, it's easy to update and maintain and runs very well. The Achilles heel of it is lack of RAM. Kind of like my iPhone 6 in that regards. Can I do pretty much anything on my Chromebook I can do on my Mac? Yes. But I prefer to use a real computer.

And now let us look at tablet market share over the last 2 years. This chart is from July. In 2011, the iPad made up 90%. By the end of 2013, it is at 26%. Now, at the end of 2014 most analysts are putting it in the teens. do you honestly believe Apple releasing a phablet is not going to cannibalize and erode Apples tablet market share even further? Be realistic in your response.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Android as a base is freeware. Google's Android apps are licensed. Why do you think Samsung made copies of Google's apps for their store? Why do you think Cyanogen can't include Google apps with their OS? Or why you can't get Google Apps with Amazon's tablets?

Google has subpar hardware? You mean like the Nexus 5? The Chromecast? I think you'll find your opinion in the minority there. I happen to own Roku 3's, Apple TV 3's and Chrome casts. Out of the 3, which has the most out of date hardware and has the most issues. I'll give you a hint: starts with an A.

You asked if I own a Chromebook, and as a matter of fact I do. chrome actually works quite well as an OS, it's easy to update and maintain and runs very well. The Achilles heel of it is lack of RAM. Kind of like my iPhone 6 in that regards. Can I do pretty much anything on my Chromebook I can do on my Mac? Yes. But I prefer to use a real computer.

And now let us look at tablet market share over the last 2 years. This chart is from July. In 2011, the iPad made up 90%. By the end of 2013, it is at 26%. Now, at the end of 2014 most analysts are putting it in the teens. do you honestly believe Apple releasing a phablet is not going to cannibalize and erode Apples tablet market share even further? Be realistic in your response.

who cares about marketshare?

the same thing happened with the iphone marketshare, yet every generation outsold the last one.

from a business point of view, theres no comparison between two companies. 90% of googles profits comes from ads (eroding btw) while apple has one blockbuster hardware product after another in terms of sales. google really cant shake of this 'being run by high nerd teenagers' stigma i get from their innovations, and they failed to monetize every single one of them. i mean really, robotics?
meanwhile, no android oems make money, except samsung, who is also eroding quickly.

so, no android money, no android oems money, failure to monetize its inventions, main source of profit is arguably shady business model (privacy) and you are talking about market share?

android is nothing other than a new symbian, except one huge difference, its nowhere to be seen in high end, actually lucrative end of the market.

iphone wont stop selling soon, but what happens if apple and microsoft put other search engines as defaults in their operating systems?

from a personal standpoint? thats up to you

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX

Google's main business is to get you to use their services, so they can monetize you in whatever way they can. Be it search, ads or getting you to buy items from the Google store. The only thing they really haven't been able to nail down, is selling you Google produced hardware. But, if they were to go that route, chances are that the current partners that they have would start to move away from Android, or at the very least, fork it like Amazon has done.
Use whatever you want to use. Just don't presume that your choice is the right choice for everyone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
One thing surprised me regarding Google's services on iOS. I knew that apps like Google Maps, Google Drive, Google Now, Google+ and the basic apps were on iOS, but I had no idea that I could get Google Wallet, google movies, books, docs, sheets and so on on iOS as well. in fact, almost every single Google app is on iOS. I love that about the iPhone. Makes it very easy to move back and forth between my iPhone and Android phones since all my data remains constant and auto updated between platforms.

Agreed but Apple is more to blame than praise for this. They allow Google to provide apps to use on iOS but don't do the same for their own apps/services on Android. Classic Apple trying to lock you into their ecosystem.

And the one Google app that I'd really like to see on iOS isn't available (other than 3rd party solutions)--Keep.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Google's main business is to get you to use their services, so they can monetize you in whatever way they can.

That's Apples goal too. The whole poi t of either OS is to get you in and sell you more in many if not both of the same ways.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Google has the benefit of working with multiple partners. It was similar to when the Sony PlayStation became popular. Sony was just a newbie with software. They didn't have hit franchises like Nintendo and SEGA had back then. But Sony had a ton of great third party support.

With Android, there are multiple flavors of it. Multiple ideas from multiple companies. It isn't just an idea from one company. This is why iOS and Windows Phone didn't involve much after all these years. An idea here or there. While Android OEM's is like a potluck of ideas while each OEM is acting like its every man for themselves. Android benefits from those varied and wealth of new ideas. It's not a one-man show. It's teamwork.

dcd1134

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Deerfield Beach, FL
Microsoft = Licensing
Google = Advertising
Apple = Hardware

Follow the money and you'll have all your answers. All else is personal preference. Be happy and use what works for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.