Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
I have a clipping path that I would like an overlapping content box to sit behind but I need it to stay in front of the images background. I'm using InDesign CS2

here's a picture to better explain -
11ao1.jpg

I haven't added the inner clipping path yet as I want to figure this out first then i'll play around with that. I'd like that right hand image to sit behind the clipping path but not the rest of the picture.
objects > clipping paths the only thing I can do with that is turn everything around the clipping path white or invert to turn everything inside the path white.

The text wrap dialog box only works on text, what I think I need is that feature for image boxes?

I can't find any tutorials showing me how to do this, only one's I can find show you how to delete the background around a clipping path and turn it white. thanks

This is what I want it to do (this is a photoshop image just to show you what I want done in Indesign):

46tm.jpg

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Although I'm not an InDesign guru, you may be better off using an alpha channel to mask that instead. I'm not sure whether a compound path will give you the result you are looking for.

Also, since InDesign can handle transparent .psd files, can't you import a layered file with a transparent background without needing paths or channels to accomplish the same thing, thus avoiding that sharp outline that comes from a path?

Sam/B

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
Newport - South Wales
I was just reading up on alpha channels and clipping paths actually for using in InDesign, i'll give that a go once i've brushed up on it as I don't use that much. That psd idea is worth a go aswell I'll have to see if theirs an option in Indesign to arrange other indesign objects (that image top right that I want behind the spoiler) below psd layers. I'm sure their is somewhere. cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.