Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I always laugh when people use IR blasters when their remote is right next to them.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I always laugh when people use IR blasters when their remote is right next to them.

Do you take your (universal) remote to you to, say, restaurants, where you'd like to mute that damn LCD TV? :) I needed the high-distance IR of my iPaq 2210 a lot in these places back in the WinMo days. It's VERY useful in situations like this. Great some manufacturers do bring it back to their devices (while I personally don't like Android much).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

What about using it as a universal remote. At home I've got my TV remote, my cable box remote, my blu ray player remote, my apple tv remote, my stereo remote and my streaming device remote. With my phone I can consolidate all those remotes into one. I find it incredibly useful. Especially as my boyfriend likes to misplace all the remotes:rolleyes:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Either will do what I want impressively. I passed on the Plus after 10 days. We'll see how I feel about the N4 in that timeframe.

I want to check out the Z3 and I really like my LG G3 and the Moto X. Are they the best performers? Who cares, they are both CHEAPER! :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
To some it may be, different strokes for different folks.

I'd also say the Note 4 wins over the IP6+ over multitasking, and pen usage.

Of course different strokes for different folks...I've read people on car forums claim to make a purchase decision based on the design of the tail-lights.

Whatever your priorities are in life? :eek:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
it is so much easier to use your all av-devices by one device than looking for the remote(s)...

and of course you will be able to control your devices from your phone/tablet wirelessly too. one device does it all =) ir for av and some remote controller app to use e.g. tv-box (mouse, buttons, keyboard..), lights, etc...

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
True, spec aren't everything. Neither are benchmarks. The Note 4 is simply a productivity phone. Not saying the 6+ isn't, but it doesn't do as much as the Note 4 does w/ productivity. Seeing as iOS 8 is struggling with bugs and not all the features are available at full capacity, the Note 4 should have a bigger leg up among those who want a one stop shop using one device. The 6+ is finally a viable competitor to Android. Once Android L comes out, let's revisit these specs and benchmarks to see how much of a boost ART gives over Dalvik.

----------

it is so much easier to use your all av-devices by one device than looking for the remote(s)...

and of course you will be able to control your devices from your phone/tablet wirelessly too. one device does it all =) ir for av and some remote controller app to use e.g. tv-box (mouse, buttons, keyboard..), lights, etc...

IR is a gimmick and you know it. Most casual users don't even use it and that's a big chuck of both Samsung's and Apple's respective consumer bases.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
yes, there are people with ten remotes, when they could buy just one universal for all.. those same people using e.g. Note are too lazy to click the app and set it up... but who cares if they are happy...

i dont have ir in my OPO, and it feels somehow stupid (oh why, oh why?), but i can live with it.

but anyway, i6+ is just a big phone without tools. i would pickup note4 if i was going to buy a phone. im not, i already have Note tablet for a productivity purpose...

nfc is also a pretty nice feature to have... with a tasker it opens a new world...

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
True, spec aren't everything. Neither are benchmarks. The Note 4 is simply a productivity phone. Not saying the 6+ isn't, but it doesn't do as much as the Note 4 does w/ productivity. Seeing as iOS 8 is struggling with bugs and not all the features are available at full capacity, the Note 4 should have a bigger leg up among those who want a one stop shop using one device. The 6+ is finally a viable competitor to Android. Once Android L comes out, let's revisit these specs and benchmarks to see how much of a boost ART gives over Dalvik.

----------

IR is a gimmick and you know it. Most casual users don't even use it and that's a big chuck of both Samsung's and Apple's respective consumer bases.

I agree with the first part of your post.

For the second, honestly it is quite a lot more useful than just being a gimmick. Of course not a deal breaker if a phone doesn't have it, but surely it can be useful for real to be able to totally do away with your remotes and just use the phone for one more thing? And on what do you base the statement about most causal users not using it?

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
I ran sunspider on a note 4 at my local best buy and the phone had a billion things running and got a low 300 sun spider score.

How is this note 4 scoring worse the a gs3?

Attachments

• 20140930_192106.jpg
    20140930_192106.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 163

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
To take a page out of the Apple fanatics guide to fandom - " the iPhone 6 Plus is the better chip right now, but that would only matter if the Note 4 didn't already provide an excellent real world user experience, which it absolutely does. And that's the part that actually counts, regardless of which device we're talking about."

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
To take a page out of the Apple fanatics guide to fandom - " the iPhone 6 Plus is the better chip right now, but that would only matter if the Note 4 didn't already provide an excellent real world user experience, which it absolutely does. And that's the part that actually counts, regardless of which device we're talking about."

^^ exactly. all the processing power in the world doesn't matter when the phone does basically what the OS is still just that of a basic iPhone. When iOS can do things that Android and the Note series can that are what really separate the experience from just another iPhone, then the power might actually mean something. In the mean time I suppose it plays cool games a bit better. :rolleyes: Iphone=smart phone, Note = smarter phone.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
^^ exactly. all the processing power in the world doesn't matter when the phone does basically what the OS is still just that of a basic iPhone. When iOS can do things that Android and the Note series can that are what really separate the experience from just another iPhone, then the power might actually mean something. In the mean time I suppose it plays cool games a bit better. :rolleyes: Iphone=smart phone, Note = smarter phone.

Which doesn't take away from the 6plus, I'm pretty sure it's an excellent device but nowhere near the productivity beast that the Note 4 is. This was the deciding factor for me.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Which doesn't take away from the 6plus, I'm pretty sure it's an excellent device but nowhere near the productivity beast that the Note 4 is. This was the deciding factor for me.

Not trying to take anything away from the iP6 Plus. It's up to Apple to make the 6 Plus and iOS what it needs to be in order to continue making a difference. They've done a decent job updating iOS but even there they've yet to really make the leap and allow the user to experience the phone they way they really should and that is the way they wish to use it.

So far all the updates have done it touch on that. Is the experience good...sure, but what's keeping me away from an iPhone again is the ability for it to function the way I want it to as opposed to how Apple wants me to experience it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
To some it may be, different strokes for different folks.

I'd also say the Note 4 wins over the IP6+ over multitasking, and pen usage.

You have to give Apple some time for the multitasking part. We all know that next year is a software year. I'm sure Apple has a ton planned for the 6 Plus. Right now, they aren't taken advantage of the large screen at all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You have to give Apple some time for the multitasking part. We all know that next year is a software year. I'm sure Apple has a ton planned for the 6 Plus. Right now, they aren't taken advantage of the large screen at all.

IP6s+ with a pen?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
despite the relatively low amounts of RAM (1GB).

So the iPhone 6 Plus is either not much future proof, or expect the same old locked down iOS for at least 2-3 more years.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
So the iPhone 6 Plus is either not much future proof, or expect the same old locked down iOS for at least 2-3 more years.

The iPhone will be fine. Just like the older models managed with half that ram.

It's the nature of iOS. Once people realize that android and iOS are fundamentally different, comparisons will be more fair.

Sorry... But my iPhone 6+ multitasks just as well as my lg G3. Even the web browser manages similarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.