Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaynecobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Hey There

I have 2 questions regarding Family Sharing

1. Is there anyway to set things up from an iMac? (If not now, any rumours about when Yosemite comes?)

2. My understanding is I can have a family shared calendar. Will this calendar appear on my calendars on my iMac?(All calendars I now use are in the cloud) Same question for Reminders.

I still do lots of "life management" stuff from my desktop so it would be great if I could do these things.

Cheers

jaynecobb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Thats ok.

So I guess my follow up question would than be. If I alter a calendar on my iMac that is in the cloud, will it change on both mine and my wife's phones?

Or are desktop/laptops not yet integrated with the phones?

I guess my confusion is I know in days gone by I have had apps that worked both on my iPad and iPhone but were not integrated with the iMac....and yet others that were. I'm just hopefully that any changes I make while I am at my desktop will be reflected (be it calendar, reminders or contacts) on my wife's phones.

Cheers

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thats ok.

So I guess my follow up question would than be. If I alter a calendar on my iMac that is in the cloud, will it change on both mine and my wife's phones?

Or are desktop/laptops not yet integrated with the phones?

I guess my confusion is I know in days gone by I have had apps that worked both on my iPad and iPhone but were not integrated with the iMac....and yet others that were. I'm just hopefully that any changes I make while I am at my desktop will be reflected (be it calendar, reminders or contacts) on my wife's phones.

Cheers
This seems like something where the best answer is, "Try it and see what happens".

If it works, there's your answer.

If it doesn't work, you can ask again, and give specific details of what steps you took, exactly what apps you used, which cloud service (you said "in the cloud", but not "in iCloud"), etc.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
What you have to remember is the Family Sharing that all users must have the same iCloud account.

That's not true. I believe all users have to use the same iTunes account, but Mail, Contacts, and Calendars all use each person's individual iCloud account.

For example, once enabled, a new "Family" calendar appears in the calendar app. And email, as expected, is still completely separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.