Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Just saw it on TV during the Cowboys game. Yeah I know people still use the 5S and earlier models, but Apple answered with the 6 and 6 Plus. They both have better battery life than the S5. They need to put it to bed. Those commercials are probably the most annoying things ever.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
All commercials Samsung makes are annoying. Just really shows how insecure they are and how much of a threat iPhones are to their phones.

Notice how Apple has responded to their commercials....

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I saw it and laughed. But notice how they were showing older versions of iphones.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Just saw it on TV during the Cowboys game. Yeah I know people still use the 5S and earlier models, but Apple answered with the 6 and 6 Plus. They both have better battery life than the S5. They need to put it to bed. Those commercials are probably the most annoying things ever.

Misinformation is powerful marketing.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
My buddy is forever charging his note3. He can't go through a shift at work without plugging in. My plus can go two days easy and I use mine as much if not more than he does.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
My buddy is forever charging his note3. He can't go through a shift at work without plugging in. My plus can go two days easy and I use mine as much if not more than he does.

That's surprising as the Note 3 battery life is really good.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
That's surprising as the Note 3 battery life is really good.

Yeah it's crazy he leaves a second charger at work lol . Always leaves it plugged in. In certain parts of the building there is no cell coverage . I have AT&T he has sprint I'm pretty sure I have slightly better coverage in the harder to reach spots of the building.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Beats me. Nothing against their products, but if you're trying to win customers over from one platform, it's best not to make fun of the user base.
It always seems like that to me, at least.

Rather than tout features by themselves in comparison to the iPhone, they needle the users of iPhones instead.

I don't necessarily think that's any way to win converts.

But whatever. It's just a commercial.

Last edited:

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Playing devil's advocate here, but the S5 has better battery life than the 6. The 6+ is another story, but that has worse battery life than the Note 4. They still have every right to show those commercials when you consider what products are being compared.

Bobo03

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Why does Coke make commercials showing a Pepsi driver drinking a Coke?

Why do car companies make commercials making fun of the competition?

Seriously the deep rooted love and hate for corporations is a little strange.

Some of you get upset over the stupidest things. You don't "agree" with the marketing campaign at Samsung? Who really cares.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
why does coke make commercials showing a pepsi driver drinking a coke?

Why do car companies make commercials making fun of the competition?

Seriously the deep rooted love and hate for corporations is a little strange.

Some of you get upset over the stupidest things. You don't "agree" with the marketing campaign at samsung? Who really cares.

+1

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006

Yeah, it's pretty funny because everyone knows the new iPhones just came out, and that ad has been running in some form or another for months now and is clearly dated.

I've got to question the effectiveness of marketing where you name your competitor in pretty much every Galaxy S & Note commercial. They've been trying this for months and it hasn't stopped Samsung from ceding significant market share to Apple on the high-end.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yeah, it's pretty funny because everyone knows the new iPhones just came out, and that ad has been running in some form or another for months now and is clearly dated.

I've got to question the effectiveness of marketing where you name your competitor in pretty much every Galaxy S & Note commercial. They've been trying this for months and it hasn't stopped Samsung from ceding significant market share to Apple on the high-end.

There are many ads naming competitors. I can't imagine why someone would be upset by an ad. I find it strange.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
All commercials Samsung makes are annoying. Just really shows how insecure they are and how much of a threat iPhones are to their phones.

Notice how Apple has responded to their commercials....

You people claiming this don't understand Samsung's marketing. They aren't trying to get people who have or want iphones to want their phone. I'll even venture to say they don't even really care about us apple fans (after all, we're not really their market cause we're not looking for an Android phone). You are forgetting they have a lot of other Android devices to compete with (unlike iPhone that does not have another iOS phone to compete with).

Those ads are not targetted at you at all. Those ads are targetted at the Android faithful, many who constantly make fun of apple devices, sheeple, isheep who would love an ad like that cause it speaks straight to them (pretty much Samsung uses the kind of jokes those guys love to levy at Apple users). They are trying to get those guys to like them and prefer a Samsung over an LG phone or a Sony phone or whatever other Android phone makers are out there. And it works. Just go on G+ and see how many android fans/apple haters love Samsung (and love their ads). Shoot, go anywhere where you will find a lot of android lovers, Samsung's ads work very well on them.

It really isn't aimed at Apple or Apple users at all. It's aimed at Android users and those that love the Android ecosystem. Because Apple is only one of Samsung's competitors. And their other competitors are running the same system so they have to have something else that sets them apart from them (with apple they have the, "We got Android and its perks" to differentiate themselves with).

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
There are many ads naming competitors. I can't imagine why someone would be upset by an ad. I find it strange.

I don't think people are upset by the ad; rather, we're puzzled by how stupid Samsung's strategy has been. Why return to the same strategy that has been failing to reverse declining sales for months?

----------

It really isn't aimed at Apple or Apple users at all. It's aimed at Android users and those that love the Android ecosystem. Because Apple is only one of Samsung's competitors. And their other competitors are running the same system so they have to have something else that sets them apart from them (with apple they have the, "We got Android and its perks" to differentiate themselves with).

I don't think that's true in this case because these are ads focused on the US market, where much of the Android competition has been very weak.

If there's some logic in these ads, then I think it's a defensive play by Samsung to try to retain the user base they have and try to dissuade them from switching to an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus.

It's a given that Samsung is going to be shedding a lot of market share to Apple in the US market in Q3 & Q4 2014. The question is a matter of how much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.