Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayroc2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I am not one to complain. I owned the Iphone 4, then 5. That jump was super fantastic, faster, better screen, similar price point

I now have the 6 plus and to be absolutely honest. It feels a step sideways.

why is the RAM the same???

Huge annoying point is multiple tabs having to refresh because of the memory management, videos take a while before playing (never had this issue on the iphone 5), apps crashing etc

I can't find one area (apart from camera and screen size) that this betters the old phone?

Have sold so many iphones by recommendations over the years, I find myself telling all my friends and family. Get an LG or HTC

Only if they insist on Apple that I say, sure, get one!

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I am not one to complain. I owned the Iphone 4, then 5. That jump was super fantastic, faster, better screen, similar price point

Huge annoying point is multiple tabs having to refresh because of the memory management, videos take a while before playing (never had this issue on the iphone 5), apps crashing etc

I can't find one area (apart from camera and screen size) that this betters the old phone?

Have sold so many iphones by recommendations over the years, I find myself telling all my friends and family. Get an LG or HTC

iOS 8 uses a lot of RAM and apps keep having to reload. Darn irritating!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess it all depends on how you're using the phone.

I don't have a lot of tabs open on Safari, the apps I use aren't pushing the resources and so I'm not noticing any ram issue. Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe my usage patterns echo that of a typical consumer, I really don't know. What I do know is that the 1GB of ram is a non issue for me (at least at the moment).

Do I wish apple did go for the 2GB option - sure, and its incredulous at this time that they cut corners in this manner but so far it hasn't hampered me.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011

I don't have a lot of tabs open on Safari, the apps I use aren't pushing the resources and so I'm not noticing any ram issue. Maybe I'm in the minority, maybe my usage patterns echo that of a typical consumer, I really don't know. What I do know is that the 1GB of ram is a non issue for me (at least at the moment).

Do I wish apple did go for the 2GB option - sure, and its incredulous at this time that they cut corners in this manner but so far it hasn't hampered me.

Hi Mike,

Do you close any background apps? Able to screenshot your homepage? Thanks!

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012

I'm having some crashing and lately some wifi issues, but no ram related issues. For me, coming from the 5, this is a huge step up. I've had original iPhone then 3G, 4, 5 and now 6+ and to me it's the biggest upgrade feeling yet. I cannot relate to your experience unfortunately, and if i didn't read people typing about it on here so much, it's not something that would ever cross my mind!

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I think the typical consumer keeps a boat load of safari tabs open because they just keep opening new tabs . This is my experience when looking at my wife's and other family and friends usage.

I don't mind the reload all that much, mostly on Star Wars Commander only :)

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
I think the typical consumer keeps a boat load of safari tabs open because they just keep opening new tabs . This is my experience when looking at my wife's and other family and friends usage.

I don't mind the reload all that much, mostly on Star Wars Commander only :)

Yup... both of my parents do the same thing.

I have tabs refresh now and then, but it isn't a big deal honestly. If I've got a zillion tabs open I probably need to drill down and focus on one thing at a time versus having a bunch of tabs open.

It's a phone, not a full fledged PC.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
This is another one of those things the media has made a much bigger deal out nothing. Nobody has had an issue with this before all these media people started talking about needing more RAM. My iPhone 6+ is no different than my iPhone 5s when it comes the reloading and apps having to close. Nobody had an issue before, and now is no different. Just one of those things everyone is talking about.

If you love your phone, and the phones works. Who really cares. I have used a ton of androids. The extra RAM really does not make that much difference at all.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
This discussion has been done to death on here.

Adding ram won't magically stop Safari tabs reloading. It's by design.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Totally agree with you. This and bendgate have been all this section has been about for a month. No one was complaining about the RAM in the 5s. It works the same here. iOS does not need more RAM. The media is just trying to make something out of nothing.

stasha

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
Montréal
can you pls return it back so other who really want it could have it,i sugest you to get an LG,yes LG is made for you.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
It is actually really annoying..
I've noticed when doing things like typing a phone number off a website into the phone app.. And u multi task switching between the phone and Safari. Sometimes the phone app will reload without the numbers. Never had this issue

The issue is even worst when trying to type in an address off a website. Maps and Safari just keeps reloading

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
This is another one of those things the media has made a much bigger deal out nothing. Nobody has had an issue with this before all these media people started talking about needing more RAM. My iPhone 6+ is no different than my iPhone 5s when it comes the reloading and apps having to close. Nobody had an issue before, and now is no different. Just one of those things everyone is talking about.

If you love your phone, and the phones works. Who really cares. I have used a ton of androids. The extra RAM really does not make that much difference at all.

The media? The media doesn't talk about the iphone lack of RAM are you kidding me? The only place this stuff really gets mentioned seems to be forums.

----------

Yup... both of my parents do the same thing.

I have tabs refresh now and then, but it isn't a big deal honestly. If I've got a zillion tabs open I probably need to drill down and focus on one thing at a time versus having a bunch of tabs open.

It's a phone, not a full fledged PC.

"It's a phone, not a full fledged PC. "

I don't really think that's a valid excuse considering apparently many other phones on the market can do this stuff.

Also if your name is a reference to what I think it is, wow lmao.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

It isn't just Safari. Apps reload too, and so do stock ones. The notes app reloads on me all the time. It's a system-wide lack of RAM.

----------

Totally agree with you. This and bendgate have been all this section has been about for a month. No one was complaining about the RAM in the 5s. It works the same here. iOS does not need more RAM. The media is just trying to make something out of nothing.

Many, including myself, have been complaining about the lack of RAM since the iPhone 5. Do keep up.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's a non issue for me on my phone. At most I have 3/4 tabs open and those don't reload. Non of my apps reload unless its been hours since I used them. Maybe I'm not a pro user?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

It's not an issue for me either, I don't suffer from tab or app reloads. My iPad Mini on the other hand can't even handle two tabs open without it reloading lol.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

Its just Apple being Apple. If I remember correctly the 3G didn't have copy and paste. Pretty sure I remember my Razr from 2005 had copy and paste but the iPhone did not.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012

Maybe they would change the design if there was more RAM to use.

1GB is abysmal, there's no defending it.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Agreed it's started to annoy me for the first time, apps reloading is the same not just tabs in Safari. Have to wait till the 6S now unfortunately.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The media? The media doesn't talk about the iphone lack of RAM are you kidding me? The only place this stuff really gets mentioned seems to be forums.

----------

"It's a phone, not a full fledged PC. "

I don't really think that's a valid excuse considering apparently many other phones on the market can do this stuff.

Also if your name is a reference to what I think it is, wow lmao.

When I say media I mean places like Engadget. They have made it a point to say that the new iPhones still only have 1 GB of RAM while the flagship Android phones have 2 plus. Most people don't even know what that means, and most it has no change on how they use the phone.

You are right. Places like MR are the king of where this stuff gets talked about the most. Like I said most want even notice, and the other people that do understand what 1 GB RAM is. Don't really understand how it effects how they use the phone.

----------

It isn't just Safari. Apps reload too, and so do stock ones. The notes app reloads on me all the time. It's a system-wide lack of RAM.

----------

Many, including myself, have been complaining about the lack of RAM since the iPhone 5. Do keep up.

Oh I did not realize you were part of the crowd that was complaining about something that really makes no difference at all. What do you need to do on your iPhone that you need more than 1 GB of RAM? The way I used my Android phones is the same way I use my iPhones. Never once have I notice a difference between 1GB of RAM and 2GB of RAM.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

You bitch about something you knew you didn't like yet bought the phone...... And that's apple's fault for not adding more ram? Ummmmmm OK. Maybe you need to buy the device you want..... you know the one with more ram instead of continuing to line apple's pocket as the ram tears flow.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hi Mike,

Do you close any background apps? Able to screenshot your homepage? Thanks!

Not really, When I was on a Windows phone, I found the idea of closing background apps to be a huge improvement. I've not see any difference in performance in doing this with iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.