Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Disabling games for windows live, I know this can be done I did it once before but cannot recall how.

I have installed Dark Souls and it all runs fine except for it insisting that it has games for windows live active otherwise it cannot save a game.

I recall having games for windows live disabled last time I ran windows games, and Dark Souls saved OK.

Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Windows Live is called Windows PE ( portable environment ). It's not ment for running a full system ( although it can be done ) , the original purpose is for installations, rescue activities and restores.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Windows Live is called Windows PE ( portable environment ). It's not ment for running a full system ( although it can be done ) , the original purpose is for installations, rescue activities and restores.

I don't know about Windows PE but there is a now defunct game client by Microsoft called Games for Windows Live which has at this point been removed from some games by their makers but not all unfortunately. For example, the developers of the Warhammer 40k games removed it from the two games that had it. Apparently, whoever made the first Darksouls used it and hasn't removed it. In some cases, the community has come up with ways to remove it themselves but I think the method used may have varied from one game to another.

Games for Windows Live provided online matchmaking, achievements, friends lists, etc. similar to Steam but was problematic in its implementation and not well accepted by gamers, thus it was eventually abandoned by Microsoft leaving users of games with it screwed in some cases.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I remember GFWL. Awful thing that never worked. Have they not discontinued it and had the developers integrate Steamworks into the game instead? I know for certain that Bioshock II used to use it but now it doesn't...

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I remember GFWL. Awful thing that never worked. Have they not discontinued it and had the developers integrate Steamworks into the game instead? I know for certain that Bioshock II used to use it but now it doesn't...

Do not know about steamworks, I have a hard copy here that all installs into windows 7 OK exept that is states you have to be logged into Games for windows Live or you get no game saves :(

I can install the game into steam, but it still wants a Games for Windows account opened, load of nonsense, so steam gives me two time the DRM, absolute nonsense :(

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
No idea what just happened, after deleting the game and then trying the it in steam and getting no where, I decided to delete the steam local content and try again with a straight install from the disk.

This time when I launched the game it opened a games for window that said it was going to check the time of purchase for the game.

After doing it still opened the Games for Windows Live screen, this time there was an option to create Local Content, I did that and all is OK, it saves games.

Why it never did that the first time around I have no idea, anyway problem solved.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.