Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
so let me just say, the 6 and 6+ is an absolute success for apple. they weren't lying when they said it will be the mother of all. It lived up to the expectations and apple delivered like santa on Christmas. 10 million first weekend sales in the US, and 20 million for China.. that's 30 million first weekend sales in both countries alone and not to mention the actual release date afterwards.

Apple is banking right now, making it rain. Competition is crumbling, samsung posted 60% dip. This year is a very profitable year and im happy for them.

now, What would happen now after this wildly successful launch? can apple release a new S series phone next year that would beat this years super successful record numbers? obviously this would be harder to break since alot of people who upgraded this year wouldn't be eligible for the S series next year.

My 6 plus has been a dream, it's the phone i've always wanted from apple... so enjoy your piece of magnificent handheld computer.. don't purposely bend it like a dumbass and complain about it.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I don't think the sales of the S are going to be better than the current iPhone. We have to be realistic. Next year is a software year. Apple has the Apple Watch, possible Apple TV and iPad Pro to keep us excited next year. It'll be interesting to compare the iPhone 6 (2014) sales to the iPhone 7 (2016), though. However, I think some people with a 6 Plus may be tempted to get a 6 Plus S with 2GB of ram, though.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think the sales of the S are going to be better than the current iPhone. We have to be realistic. Next year is a software year. Apple has the Apple Watch, possible Apple TV and iPad Pro to keep us excited next year. It'll be interesting to compare the iPhone 6 (2014) sales to the iPhone 7 (2016), though. However, I think some people with a 6 Plus may be tempted to get a 6 Plus S with 2GB of ram, though.

I'm getting one next year, 6s plus please haha... iphone is seriously my addiction like crack is to Whitney. You're right, I guess we have to look at it at the bigger picture. Apple knows it would be difficult to beat the numbers of the 6/6+ next year. The watch and iPad pro should offset that rather nicely.

----------

i am awaiting the iPad Air PRO!

I think it will be just ipad pro... Think about it, air for the thinner model and pro for the beefed up model. Same as MacBook line. You don't see MacBook air pro. Haha

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I think it's far from stagnant. 6s will be a spec upgrade. Then the 7 is next with an evolution of the curve design.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Unfortunately, I don't see anything interesting over the horizon. It's stagnant from hereon.

Nonsense. I'd classify that comment under lack of imagination. For example, with increasing content partnerships and now HomeKit integration the AppleTV is poised to make a splash with its next revision, and that's just one of many areas where Apple could make waves. In particular I'd look for major changes in the iPad line as Apple moves to make it more of a laptop replacent.

----------

I think it's far from stagnant. 6s will be a spec upgrade. Then the 7 is next with an evolution of the curve design.

Totally agree. The evolution of smartphones is FAR from over. The end goal is for these things to become full fledged desktop computers in the palm of your hand. In some ways they're already there, but in others they still have a long way to go.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
The next big thing is definitely the Apple Watch. There's a lot of useful functionality that a wearable can provide beyond exclusively using a smartphone. I'm excited for it for just the health tracking functionality alone (I sometimes put my iPhone in my pocket while walking around the house at times where I normally wouldn't just so I'll have an accurate step count); everything else is just icing on the cake.

After the 6 & 6 Plus, it's going to become increasingly difficult to make each successive iteration stand out more from its predecessor. This isn't a problem exclusive to Apple, though -- merely the reality that comes with smartphones growing up and new models being "good enough" for most consumers for years to come.

For those of us who love technology, I suspect that we'll want to continue to upgrade continually to the latest and greatest, but I'd wager a lot that the 6 & 6 Plus will have longer legs for the average consumer than any prior iPhone ever has.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Yes, obviously the watch, but also everything that implies. If anyone thinks the watch is all there is they need to re-evaluate. The watch is only the first example. They're not going to develop a new OS and only use it in one device. Look for a whole range of similar wearable devices that use the watch interface. Clip on versions for example to cater to people like me who already wear an expensive mechanical watch and don't plan on replacing it with a cheepy Apple gadget.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
While apple fans enjoy success, what's next?

Apple enjoys success. Apple fans do not.

I absolutely love my 6+ but the thing cost me $850 (which is a substantial markup even when compared to the iPhone 6 which costs $150 less despite part costs being within $30).

Yes. I'm being cynical about Apple and am ignoring the usual excuses people make to "trolls" like me who buy the products but don't buy the BS. But when it comes to Apple then their success hasn't translated to better pricing or higher quality. It's simply been more profit for them and less money for me.

BTW: As for the things I'm hoping for. Touchscreen Macbook. Mac Mini / iTunes Server. Affordable Apple watch.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
i dont think they have anywhere else to go design wise, anything new or truly groundbreaking will have to come thru the software design.

Uh u do know we're talking about apple here right? They make the best designs that everyone copies.

----------

Apple enjoys success. Apple fans do not.

I absolutely love my 6+ but the thing cost me $850 (which is a substantial markup even when compared to the iPhone 6 which costs $150 less despite part costs being within $30).

Yes. I'm being cynical about Apple and am ignoring the usual excuses people make to "trolls" like me who buy the products but don't buy the BS. But when it comes to Apple then their success hasn't translated to better pricing or higher quality. It's simply been more profit for them and less money for me.

BTW: As for the things I'm hoping for. Touchscreen Macbook. Mac Mini / iTunes Server. Affordable Apple watch.

I'm a fan so I enjoy buying things that has this logo :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.