Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
I am been looking around amazon for a php5 book. I've already got a couple php4 books under my belt. All, I want is a quick overview of what is basically new especially the new OOP and XML stuff, and to have it a desk reference when php.net doesn't have anyone helpful.

any suggestions?

scott182

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
Madison, WI
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Haven't read this particular book, Learning PHP 5, but never had a really bad O'Reilly book... :)

They are usually holding a very high standard...

This is probably not the book you want. The only OOP discussed are the very basics. There is a complete chapter (albeit 10 pages) on parsing XML documents. I haven't looked at this part in much detail though. The whole book seems to be at a bit lower level than most O'Reilly books.

As far as a general reference, I've found Larry Ullman's PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites to be better. You may want to look into his PHP for the World Wide Web book -- maybe download the code samples and see if it looks promising.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
scott182 said:
This is probably not the book you want. The only OOP discussed are the very basics. There is a complete chapter (albeit 10 pages) on parsing XML documents. I haven't looked at this part in much detail though. The whole book seems to be at a bit lower level than most O'Reilly books.

As far as a general reference, I've found Larry Ullman's PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites to be better. You may want to look into his PHP for the World Wide Web book -- maybe download the code samples and see if it looks promising.
Thanks, I'm still using PHP4 for most of the stuff I do, but has been meaning to start learning a bit PHP5, and would probably have bought that book... now, I'll reconsider... at least I'm going to lend it at the library before purchasing... :)

I actually have borrowed Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Development at my local library, but that looks too basic**. OOP is just mentioned in a page and a half long example and XML doesn't even appear in the index... :eek:

**I could have used much stronger language here... ;)

scott182

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
Madison, WI
I should note that the Ullman PHP/MySQL book does not cover OOP and XML, although it is updated for PHP 5. I'm amazed at the amount of useful material covered though.

Since you're looking to get into PHP 5, this might be a good book, from O'Reilly: Upgrading to PHP 5.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2003
well at least I am not the only one with finding a book that covers OOP and XML.

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
There was this one by the webmaster/founder of Melonfire that was really good, I'll try to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.