Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With rumors of a new 12-inch Retina MacBook Air circulating in recent months and the latest reports suggesting small-scale production has already begun, many have been wondering about Apple's plans for introducing the product. According to a new report from Re/code, the Retina MacBook Air will not be unveiled at this Thursday's media event.

macbook_air_2014.jpg
Apple may well have a new MacBook Air with Retina Display in the pipeline, but it's not going to unveil it this week. Sources familiar with Apple's plans tell me that the company's latest reimagining of the ultralight laptop won't be shown off at its Thursday event.
In line with previous rumors, the report claims Thursday's event will focus on new iPads, Retina iMacs, and OS X Yosemite. One source has also claimed updated Mac minis could appear at the event, but there has been little additional chatter about the possibility.

Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time on Thursday, and MacRumors will have full live coverage of the proceedings. There are likely to be additional leaks and rumors in the final lead-up to the event, so stay tuned as Apple prepares to finalize its product lineup for the holiday shopping season.

Article Link: No Retina MacBook Air Introduction Planned for Apple's October 16 Media Event

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
"The Retina MacBook Air will be coming this event, I promise!"

Pretty sure it never was going to happen this year. :rolleyes:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Calling B.S. on this. Core M processors are out, and I can't imagine Apple doing nothing with them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Sometimes I wonder if the MacBook Air was simply used as a proof of concept for smaller electronics for a portable system, as well as a study to see how well the new unibody manufacturing process performs.

It doesn't really feel like it has had the attention it deserves (from Apple) since it's introduction. I's almost like the iPad line, and smaller Macbook sizes are taking away more of Apple's attention. But, then again this is just a rumor, and we won't really know the plans until the event is over.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Sometimes I wonder if the MacBook Air was simply used as a proof of concept for smaller electronics for a portable system, as well as a study to see how well the new unibody manufacturing process performs.

It doesn't really feel like it has had the attention it deserves (from Apple) since it's introduction. I's almost like the iPad line, and smaller Macbook sizes are taking away more of Apple's attention. But, then again this is just a rumor, and we won't really know the plans until the event is over.

The MacBook Air is probably my favorite Apple laptop right now, and its last redesign and remarketing was probably one of the biggest refreshes in Apple history.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Broadwell for laptops are planned for Q1 2015, only for desktops for iMacs are ready on November-December

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Well if it'll only be a new ipad and yosemite it will be a really boring keynote. They better amuse us with some creative streaming problems.

OSXMavericks

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2014
The MacBook Air was updated in April so why would they update it again a few months later? The MacBook Air has a life span of usually around a year.

Next year they will have better hardware to implement a retina display that is powerful enough yet also has good battery life.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Damn it! I was hoping to see a new MBA!
This is what Im looking forward to more than the watch or anything else.

I want to see Apple reimagine the laptop!

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
"It's been way too long."
And we still need to wait more.

It's been way too long since we've seen an update to the Mac Mini. I'd really like to see an update to that and hope they retain its upgradable memory and HDD aspects.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Truly excited about the iPad announcement. Looking forward to giving my wife a present -- and it will be my iPad 3 ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.