Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Apple today released the sixth Yosemite public beta for its beta testers, following the release of the fifth Yosemite public beta on Tuesday of last week alongside the second golden master candidate of OS X Yosemite. The new public beta carries build number 14A388b, very close to the third Yosemite golden master candidate build 14A388a seeded to developers late last week.

The software update can be downloaded through the software update function of the Mac App Store.

OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency and redesigned dock, windows, and more. It also includes a multitude of new features, such as improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity, a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search with new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

Over the course of the beta testing period, each Developer Preview has added new features and refined the look and performance of OS X Yosemite, although changes have become less obvious in more recent builds as Apple begins finalizing Yosemite ahead of its public release.

Apple is expected to launch Yosemite soon after the iPad event that it is planning to hold this Thursday.

Article Link: Apple Releases Sixth OS X Yosemite Public Beta

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
We are on the 3rd GM candidate... not second.

EDIT: hmm read that wrong. Ignore me. The article says the 5th came alongside the 2nd.

Last edited:

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
It doesn't look modern at all. Unless 2005 is now considered "modern".

Because transparency and flat effects were so common back then. Why heck, I remember how XP was so transparent I could actually see inside my CRT and watch it at work. :rolleyes:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I think the article is stating the 2nd candidate was released last week alongside the fifth beta.

Correct...Public Beta 5 came alongside Developer Candidate 2 on Tuesday. Thursday saw Developer Candidate 3, but no corresponding Public Beta 6 until now.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I hate the folder color in Yosemite... and the new icons... and the lack of color under the "Go" menu... 10.9 looks much more modern than 10.10... The transparency effects are so... Vista...

Ive & Co have lost their touch.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
GM3 still doesn't fix the retina 2012 HD4000 crashing. Ridiculous if this makes it to RTM.

Asgerhj

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
My MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 internet recovery is firing up Yoesemite....
But I can't install it?!?!

Hi
Booting the Mac holding cmd-r with a newly installed unfornmatted SSD and no external drives attached, when choosing to install OS X then the install window for Yosemite appears?!?!?
Clicking "install" promts me for my Apple ID (which I incidentally HAS used to download 10.10 public beta)
But a few moments later I get a message saying something like "the item is currently unavailable"
So I am effectively cut off from installing a fresh OS without an external physical drive containing a bootable partition.

This Machine has never seen a newer OS than 10.7

The only relation this machine can possibly have to Yosemity is that another machine has downloaded 10.10 public beta on the same internet connection...

Is this a soft launch of 10.10 or something?

Booting my 15" Retina 2012 in internet recovery mode serves up Lion as expectet.

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Because transparency and flat effects were so common back then. Why heck, I remember how XP was so transparent I could actually see inside my CRT and watch it at work. :rolleyes:

Have you heard of OS X Tiger? It was released in 2005 and it was plenty "flat". Just about as "flat" as you could ever imagine.

And Windows Vista introduced transparency in beta versions the same year.

So, again... "modern" is 2005.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I am not sure if I should download Yosemite on October 16 do not want to go through what I did with iOS8 on my iPhone 5 too glitchy.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I have a 2012 retina 15 in. How can i reproduce this error? I haven't experienced it yet.

I just had that error on my 2012 rMBP. Took it to Apple Store and they put Mavericks back on my machine and no worries at this point. I'll wait for a week or so before upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.