Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxbluedragonxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
I am having a problem with my iPhone4S in that it keeps trying to send an international text to one or two numbers abroad. I am convinced the numbers are related to iMessage or Facetime activation.

This happens even after a factory reset, hard reset, full erase/reset and happened after I did a recovery mode reinstall of iOS8 (file downloaded from Apple.com)

So therefore the number is somewhere in the carrier settings.

Can anyone please show me step by step how I can search for and replace/change this particular number?

I am new to iPhones and jailbreaking them (previously from Android where I was quite comfortable with jailbreaks and flash/reflash firmware, editing product codes etc to get appropriate firmware installed) so although am technically competent am not familiar with iPhone system internal files and what needs to be done to edit where.

Hope someone can help!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am having a problem with my iPhone4S in that it keeps trying to send an international text to one or two numbers abroad. I am convinced the numbers are related to iMessage or Facetime activation.

This happens even after a factory reset, hard reset, full erase/reset and happened after I did a recovery mode reinstall of iOS8 (file downloaded from Apple.com)

So therefore the number is somewhere in the carrier settings.

Can anyone please show me step by step how I can search for and replace/change this particular number?

I am new to iPhones and jailbreaking them (previously from Android where I was quite comfortable with jailbreaks and flash/reflash firmware, editing product codes etc to get appropriate firmware installed) so although am technically competent am not familiar with iPhone system internal files and what needs to be done to edit where.

Hope someone can help!
Even if you could do what AJ says you cannot, you could not do it right now. There is currently no iOS 8 jailbreak. No jailbreak, no file system level access.

xxbluedragonxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
I read somewhere it was possible to edit the default APN settings at some low level file so hence thought it might be possible to do this for the activation number.

Sadly if this is not the case I have to return the phone. I asked my carrier to try to block it but they can't block outgoing international texts so the phone is secretly trying to send texts to this international number and pushing my bill up :(

Thankfully carrier have refunded me but this can't be an ongoing arrangement and if I can't edit the number in any way have no choice but to send the handset back. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
It's not that the phone keeps sending out International texts, it's that unofficial carriers interpret the iMessage/FaceTime activation codes as a text to an International number.

You can turn off iMessage and FaceTime to stop the activation codes being sent out or switch to an official carrier. Short of those, there is no solution.

xxbluedragonxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
I did try turning those off and also put in Restriction for Facetime but still the "texts" or whatever they are still showed up in my bill. I've contacted the seller and going to return the phone as there seems to be no solution to this and I will keep getting billed for them otherwise :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.