Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Autodesk today announced the launch of the latest versions of its popular AutoCAD computer-aided design software packages for Mac, adding a number of new features that put the release nearly equal to its Windows counterpart for the first time.

autocad_mac_2015.jpg
MacRumors spoke with Autodesk product manager Micah Dickerson about the new version, with Dickerson noting an emphasis on cross-platform compatibility for mixed Windows and Mac environments and highlighting a "big four" set of features added in the 2015 version based on customer feedback:

- Dynamic Blocks: Mac users now have the ability to create and edit Dynamic Blocks with a new streamlined yet powerful tool. With Dynamic Blocks, users can build a single block that can be used repeatedly (such as for windows or doors) and simply adjusted in size or shape dynamically rather than creating a static block for each feature.

autocad_mac_2015_dynamic_block.jpg
Dynamic Blocks
- Layer States: Addressing one of the major barriers to cross-platform usage between Windows and Mac versions of AutoCAD, Mac users can now save layer information such as color, linetype and frozen/locked/off status.

- Quick Select: This feature allows users to easily select objects based on queries, including multiple selection criteria. The feature also includes a new preview function to allow the user to see what objects match the criteria before committing.

- Data Links: Users wishing to associate Excel spreadsheets with their drawings can now do so through Data Links. Changes to the spreadsheet will automatically the corresponding table in AutoCAD, making it easy to keep track of scheduling and costs on various projects.

Dickerson points out that, based on testing so far, AutoCAD for Mac 2015 appears to be the most stable and fastest version so far, while adding a number of new features and taking care of several bugs and other issues.

AutoCAD for Mac 2015 launches today, and is available not only in the usual perpetual license program, but also Autodesk's subscription plans designed to lower the barrier to entry for those looking to take their first steps into the company's CAD software.

Standard pricing remains the same for 2015, with AutoCAD coming in at $4195 and the more basic AutoCAD LT priced at $1200, with cheaper upgrade options also available for current users. The subscription plan will see AutoCAD priced at $210 per month or $1680 per year, while AutoCAD LT will be priced at $45 per month or $360 per year.

Article Link: Autodesk Launches AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT for Mac 2015

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
3ds Max

Compared to windows AutoCAD, windows beat the OSX version hands down...oh and we need to be able to run 3ds Max natively. Demand is high, get with it Autodesk.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Somehow, despite the more ergonomic shortcuts, I find the mac versions of 3D software such as Rhino and ArchiCAD less efficient to use than their windows counterparts. It was also disappointing that Autodesk didn't focus on Revit for the Mac, given the rise in BIM.
Luckily my rMBP is fast enough to run parallels for almost all of my 3D modelling.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
PSA: Autocad (and other software) is free* for postsecondary students with a .edu email address. Full versions.**

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all

*You know, free as in for noncommerical use.
**Note that for this version they mark all files saved with this as being education versions permanently, whether they were created with other versions or not. In other words, do not open important business projects with this unless you want them marked as noncommercial use only.

Edit: Apparantly you don't actually need a .edu address. (thanks Evmanw)

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
My Father, an architect, uses AutoCAD in Windows. My brother, also an architect, uses Sketchup on his Mac. I don't have any expertise to make a comment on the difference, but pricing seemed to be in favor of Sketchup. I wonder if this changes anything.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
My Father, an architect, uses AutoCAD in Windows. My brother, also an architect, uses Sketchup on his Mac. I don't have any expertise to make a comment on the difference, but pricing seemed to be in favor of Sketchup. I wonder if this changes anything.

Sketchup is NOT an alternative to AutoCAD...
(For 2d drawings)

Autodesk should be concentrating on getting Revit over to Mac since over 70% of the top 100 architecture firms use it, also given the growth and requirement to use BIM

Good User Name

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I doubt they're going to be introducing true feature parity any time soon. Going from the Windows interface to the Mac interface is like getting rapped on the knuckles when you try to do something. It just feels wrong every time.

Even though it's slower I feel better off just using VMware for this.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why does the 2015 screenshot look more or less the same as a screenshot from 1994 (might also look the same as the one from 1982 - wouldn't know as the '94 version is the only one I ever used.)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
(For 2d drawings)

Autodesk should be concentrating on getting Revit over to Mac since over 70% of the top 100 architecture firms use it, also given the growth and requirement to use BIM

The fact that I have no idea what Revit or BIM is indicative of my lack of knowledge in this space. I was only reporting what the two architects in my family use, but due to my ignorance in this topic, I accept your statements as fact (although they may not be). :)

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
(For 2d drawings)

Agreed. They also need to add the AutoCAD Suites, like Civil 3D.

Now if only Bentley made a Microstation for Mac. I'd never have to use a Windows PC for work again.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
C'mon Dassault. Please bring Solidworks to Mac as well.

Although I ended up majoring in Civil Engineering, I used Solidworks extensively in Robotics and design manufacturing in High School. By far one of the best designed and intuitive CAD interfaces ever created, at least IMO.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
The interface on the Mac has to work within apples guidelines, the ribbon is non-existent which is pure bliss for a native Mac user!

Shortcuts are the same on both platforms. So generally UI and generation perks (features/upgrade justifications/selling points) are the only difference.

I'll agree that auto desk seriously needs to bring revit to the Mac. A few years ago they did a preview on a Mac through Firefox, so the consensus seems to be moving to a cloud based 'bring your own platform option'. As for sketch up-in my experience it has mainly been used for conceptual applications, not to say that people couldn't do wonders with it. Generally its an AutoCAD and Revit industry, there are some studios and firms who are on archival, solid works, rhino, and others but the majority are on autodesks system.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Compared to windows AutoCAD, windows beat the OSX version hands down...oh and we need to be able to run 3ds Max natively. Demand is high, get with it Autodesk.

I agree. Autocad is pretty much the only reason why I still have a boot camp partition on my MacBook.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The interface on the Mac has to work within apples guidelines, the ribbon is non-existent which is pure bliss for a native Mac user!

The fact that they made AutoCAD from scratch for the Mac definitely shows. I hate AutoCAD, and it still baffles me why every firm uses this program, but AutoCAD for Mac was actually very well done, I was pretty impressed. The problem though is that the Mac version is missing a lot of features. Still have have to boot camp it sometimes.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Their pricing model is ridiculous.

This isn't Angry Birds:D It's business software.
/jk

Whether or not the price is right is ultimately determined by the purchaser. Businesses that use this software to help generate profit may see price as reasonable. Of course everyone wants to pay less, but it isn't always the bargain we think. Similarly, people say Mac Pros are ridiculously priced. If the MP, like AutoCAD, puts food on your table and a roof over your head, doesn't the value outweigh the cost? From a business perspective, I'd consider them both an investment. In the majority of cases I'm pretty sure the ROI far outweighs the expense.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I actually spent some time beta testing AC 2015. It's much better than previous versions (once some serious bugs were fixed - Beta testing software on a Beta OS was fun). I actually like what they've done with it.

This is just my personal take on things, from the perspective of someone who does all of my drafting in 2D and uses sketchup to create a 3D model. I have to agree with a lot of the comments defending AutoCAD.

Yes, the industry as a whole is moving to BIM, but large enterprises & governments (Federal & State) are very slow-moving entities. We just got upgraded to Windows 7 earlier this year, and we are 2-3 versions behind the latest Microstation release. So yeah, it would be nice to have Revit, the fact that Autodesk is creating some architectural tools for the Mac at all (from the ground up no less) is progress. I can't imagine that Revit for Mac isn't at least being considered.

Also, yes, it's expensive. But it's professional level software. Autodesk is charging what the market will bear, and most professionals will pay for it as it's a business expense.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Limited market for professional software like Autocad dictates the price.

You mean handcuffed to the only game in town? AutoCAD is near monopoly rent. Price goes up 10% -15% each version. And they pump upgrades every 18 month it seems.... If one of your customers upgrades, everybody downline has to upgrade too, no skips like Office. Microsoft upgrades are pleasant compared to AutoDesk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.