Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is very annoying, never happened to me on my 4S.

I try to take a screen shot and the screen turns off as if I only hit the sleep button.

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
Tell us your procedure and timing.

I've never had a problem. I hold power button and then press the home button. When I get the white screen, I release the power button.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Tell us your procedure and timing.

I've never had a problem. I hold power button and then press the home button. When I get the white screen, I release the power button.

I have always tried to hit them both simultaneously and until now its worked.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

I try to take a screen shot and the screen turns off as if I only hit the sleep button.

Maybe there's a jailbreak for that?

Hee. ;)

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

Yep, same here. It seems that if you press the sleep/wake button even a millisecond before you press the volume button, it'll switch off.

You just need to press both buttons at exactly the same time.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yep, same here. It seems that if you press the sleep/wake button even a millisecond before you press the volume button, it'll switch off.

Just tried it making sure I press the sleep/wake button before the home button, and it worked every time.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul

You're not alone OP. Happens to me frequently on the 6. never happened on my 4S.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Which finger/thumb? Right thumb on sleep/wake button and left thumb on home button or....?

What's the difference? Several other people have confirmed my problem. I use right thumb on home button, left index on sleep.

----------

Very annoying. Any solution?

----------

You're not alone OP. Happens to me frequently on the 6. never happened on my 4S.

Why is Apple slipping so much?

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
This bugged me before, but I figured out a solution. Just hold down the sleep/wake button FIRST, and then hit the home button. Works every time. Or vice-versa.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a feature. It actually is easier for my parents to activate, as before they would have trouble trying to hit the buttons simultaneously.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
As others have mentioned, I have the same problem and have found that pressing the power button slightly before the home button seems to do the trick.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
As others have mentioned, I have the same problem and have found that pressing the power button slightly before the home button seems to do the trick.

This works every time, if reversed, then it is likely for the phone to "go to sleep"

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
What's the difference? Several other people have confirmed my problem. I use right thumb on home button, left index on sleep.

I ask because normally on older models you'd have left index finger on sleep and you press in opposite direction as right thumb on home button. Opposite directions work better in terms of timing.

Try with right thumb on sleep/wake button and see if it works better. You'd have your fingers on the other end for support.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Push and hold one button, then immediately push the other. This has worked on my 3Gs, 4s, 5s and the 6 plus I just tried it on.

Apple isn't slipping, you apparently just have lots of nits to pick.

No, every device/software update has an increasing number of flaws. Clearly if others are experiencing the same things, it's not just me.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
It's different for iPhone 6/Plus now. You have to press and hold the power button first then press the home button. Don't press them at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.