Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just about a day before Apple's October 16 media event, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new report, saying that he expects supplies of iPad Air 2s to be constrained. His report also suggests that the 27-inch Retina Display iMac will have shipments begin before the end of the year and reiterates that the new iPad minis won't be a significant upgrade.

apple_oct_2014_invite_large.jpg
Of the new products, we think the market will be more interested in iPad Air 2. However, as the poor yield rate of anti-reflective coating cover lens has delayed mass production, we estimate 2014 shipments of iPad Air 2 of 7- 9mn units, lower than the 12mn units of the then-new iPad Air shipments in 2013. We thus expect iPad Air 2 to contribute less to the supply chain than iPad Air did last year. We also don't expect the event to boost supply chain shares much.
Kuo goes on to once again suggest that a significant update to the iPad mini isn't likely due to the iPad Air's larger "contribution to Apple's sales and earnings" and that iPad mini is seeing limited development resources because Apple is working on a brand-new 12.9-inch iPad.

The 27-inch Retina Display iMac is likely to begin shipments before the end of 2014, with the 21-inch Retina Display arriving sometime in the second half of 2015. The delay between the two models, Kuo suggests, is because of how difficult it is to develop two different sized high resolution panels at the same time.

Finally, Kuo corroborates reports that new MacBook models will not make an appearance at the October 16 event as Apple is waiting on Intel's Broadwell chips before significantly upgrading its laptop line. This includes the rumored 12-inch MacBook Air.

Apple is holding its press event this Thursday, October 16 at 10:00 AM PT on its Cupertino campus. Besides new iPads and iMacs, Apple is also expected to announce the public launch date for OS X Yosemite. MacRumors will provide live coverage of the event.

Article Link: Initial iPad Air 2 Supplies May Be Limited, 27-Inch Retina Display iMac Launching by End of 2014

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Can't wait to get the iPad Air 2. Coming from an iPad mini Retina, I now realize how the bigger screen on the Air is better.

I'm also hoping for less screen anomalies this time around (dust under the screen, backlight bleed, dead pixels, etc.) but I believe these won't go away anytime soon. At least the 'dust under the screen' should be lessened, now that the LCD and glass are fused.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
As long as the Mac mini gets an update as well I am fine... A little bit a shame that only the 27" iMac gets updated and not the 21". I would like :apple: to make a 24" again as to me that was the perfect size. 21" I a little to small where for me the 27" is to big

My 2 cents

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
So then what has "been way too long" if all they are doing is iPads and Mac Minis are not being updated?

Think they will redesign the form factor of the iMac? The colors of the invite suggest old school Macintosh...

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Of course initial supplies will be limited. It's part of the plan to build hype for a product that no longer creates the hype it did a couple of years ago.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
"Way too long" = Apple TV

No one can disagree with this. Seriously, when are they going to get serious with Apple TV after how terrible Apple Watch looks they would get back to Apple TV to get back in the game.

----------

iMac 27-Inch will be the only one Retina? *YAWN*. And no improvement for other iMacs? Is it me or is Apple going in the Microsoft direction once Bill Gates retired?

Raizen.Z09

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Cambodia
Way too long for a Thunderbolt Display update.

Also way too long:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 11.38.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 11.38.02 AM.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 6,641

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
So then what has "been way too long" if all they are doing is iPads and Mac Minis are not being updated?

Think they will redesign the form factor of the iMac? The colors of the invite suggest old school Macintosh...

I think the "It's been way too long" tag line is simply playing on the fact that the iPhone event was just a month ago. I took it as a hint of sarcasm.

I too am very interested to see this iMac. A case redesign would be surprising since the current design has only been out 2 years and they've historically had a 3 year cycle on iMac case redesigns. My guess is this:

27-inch iMac with Retina display --- 4K native resolution (3840x2160) running a virtually scaled 5K resolution by default of 2560x1440 at 2x HiDPI. This would give the iMac a higher pixel density and the same screen real estate we have now. "Best for Retina" setting would be 1920x1080 HiDPI which would fit perfectly into 4K at 2x but with less screen real estate and larger UI.

bengay

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2009
I can predict "Initial iPhone 6S supplies may be limited.", "Initial iPhone 7 supplies may be limited.", "Initial iPad Air 3 supplies may be limited.", and so on. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course initial supplies will be limited. It's part of the plan to build hype for a product that no longer creates the hype it did a couple of years ago.

I can't believe people still peddle this garbage. Apple doesn't need to constrain supply to create demand. And if iPad is now a product people don't much care about, seeing that it's delayed isn't going to make them start caring.

This research note is just the typical pre-event let's throw things against the wall and see what sticks.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I don't care what they release just so long as it's thinner! That's what we're all crying out for here! Right? Who's with me!?

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

That's a really good point. This year has so far been a lot of hype and bullpucky but not very much that can be called amazing. The iPhone 6 is really great (I've got one) but not really that amazing compared to the 5c I traded in.

As for the entire Mac line it almost makes one ask, "do they still make those" except for the mini which provokes the question, "why do they still make those"? The non-Steve Apple is turning out to be somewhat boring.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

Apple IVe with rCRT monitor, optional high density 1" floppy. Optional 512k RAM $600. Newton refresh with special edition 8k model for overseas markets only otherwise 16k base. Apple phone with tactile keypad. Lisa2.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I can't believe people still peddle this garbage. Apple doesn't need to constrain supply to create demand. And if iPad is now a product people don't much care about, seeing that it's delayed isn't going to make them start caring.

This research note is just the typical pre-event let's throw things against the wall and see what sticks.

Ok, then Apple will all their trillions still can't do a proper product launch. People are having their iPhone orders delayed all the while Apple launches the phone in a couple dozen new countries.

Or do they do it intentionally to keep the hype going for several month instead of meeting the demand and let the buzz fizzle away?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I can predict "Initial iPhone 6S supplies may be limited.", "Initial iPhone 7 supplies may be limited.", "Initial iPad Air 3 supplies may be limited.", and so on. :)

Dude you are like... Like GENIUS ANALYST! If I had an extra million bucks I'd throw you the most amazing birthday party!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.