Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I am looking at upgrading my hard drive in my Late 2009 MacBook that i have. It currently runs Mac OS X Mavericks, would an SSD card be supported in this version of the macbook?

:)

Maydon0z

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Yes, and it would really speed up your Macbook :cool: Look at iFixit for guides on how to replace your harddrive. You can search the forum here for guides on how to clone your existing harddrive to the newly installed SSD.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
With a 2009 model, you're limited by the speed of the SATA connector. Yours are 3Gb/s. Newer models are 6Gb/s.

This didn't matter with hard drives, since those things are slow. But most SSDs can read data faster than your Mac's SATA connector can receive it.

What does this mean? Well, you'll notice a big speed boost, but not as big as someone with faster SATA connectors. And it's not worth paying the price premium for an SSD with faster read speeds: you won't see any benefit over "normal" SSDs.

Stick a Samsung Evo in there. That's what I did with my 2012 MacBook Pro.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am looking at upgrading my hard drive in my Late 2009 MacBook that i have. It currently runs Mac OS X Mavericks, would an SSD card be supported in this version of the macbook?

:)

An SSD will work fine in that computer. Something to note is that it won't run at full speed due to the SATA II chipset in that machine. That being said, it will be worlds better than the hard drive in it now.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I have a mid 2009 macbook, now that I have a "newer" macbook pro I am debating whether to keep it or sell it, if I keep it I would like to upgrade to an SSD as well, any recommendations?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a mid 2009 macbook, now that I have a "newer" macbook pro I am debating whether to keep it or sell it, if I keep it I would like to upgrade to an SSD as well, any recommendations?

The Samsung 840 Evo is very affordable and is a solid SSD! It looks, works, and performs great! I have a 120 GB model in my cMBP and it was well worth the money.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
The Samsung 840 Evo is very affordable and is a solid SSD! It looks, works, and performs great! I have a 120 GB model in my cMBP and it was well worth the money.

I searched it on Amazon, it is not expensive either, I think the 250GB goes for $130 or so.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I searched it on Amazon, it is not expensive either, I think the 250GB goes for $130 or so.

They are some of the cheapest Samsung drives. I go with Samsung after reading mixed reports on all of the other brands (model A is great, model B is atrocious, etc.). I never really read a bad Samsung SSD review, even from most critics. They are also very affordable even compared to other brands.

drumvoodoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Denver, CO
I installed an OWC Mercury Electra and went to 8G of memory and it's like I bought a brand new macbook pro. Everything happens instantly on my late 2008 macbook 2.4 core duo. Best money I've ever spent on a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.