Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Your title is misleading...

Plepler did not disclose further details about the forthcoming service, including the price. HBO currently allows cable subscribers to access its content on mobile devices through an app known as HBO Go.

Nothing in the article says it'll be free. In fact, they talk about "growing" and how it's a potential for a huge revenue stream.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Your title is misleading...

Nothing in the article says it'll be free. In fact, they talk about "growing" and how it's a potential for a huge revenue stream.

Might have been better to say "breaking free from cable" but I wouldn't say the title is misleading.

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
I saw it as freeing itself from the cable companies as well. Pretty happy about this turn of events, and I'm very willing to pay more for the service than what cable charged to access HBO. Pretty sure that's the way they'll go, as it gives people who do pay for cable a cheaper way to gain access, and it will appease the cable companies who take a portion of that. HBO loses a lot of money if the major cable providers decide that they won't offer HBO anymore.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Hopefully this is coming to the UK. Sky has an exclusive on a number of HBO shows, including Game of Thrones. I haven't signed up to a satellite service just for that.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Mass celebration across the internet. Cord cutters practically screaming triumph. And yet, one key detail is not out yet. Can you guess it? Once it is revealed, I suspect the joy will turn to sorrow, paired with a bunch of "who needs HBO anyway?" and so on.

I'll bet $34-$49/month if it's pretty similar to HBO Go... maybe as low as $29.99/month. Anybody who thinks it will be al-a-carte at about "normal" HBO monthly rates of about $12-$15 will probably only be right if this service is significantly de-toothed vs. HBO and/or HBO Go.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I don't think it will be that expensive. But I'm expecting it to land somewhere in between $15-20.

Everyone is expecting Netflix-pricing and I just want to laugh at them.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I don't think it will be that expensive. But I'm expecting it to land somewhere in between $15-20.

Everyone is expecting Netflix-pricing and I just want to laugh at them.

Well, HBO does currently offer their content without cable in Netherlands I believe....

Anyways if we want to get an idea of the pricing, we can look there.

Funny you mentioned Netflix. Netflix's goal when they started offering original content, was to 'become HBO before they become us.'

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

I agree. I believe it will be [exactly] HBOGO for < $20. That’s a little more than HBO as bundled through most cable/sat providers and it’s _only_ GO services which means limited movies and sporting events vs. cable based HBO (with or without GO), but most series including GOT :)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I pay $18 per month

I am currently paying $18 per month. I was paying $9 for 12 months. I am with Verizon FIOS. I would be extremely surprised if it is < $19.95. If so, then a lot of people may simply drop the subscription they are paying the CABLE Operator which could be a problem for HBO. I would hope the service would be the same as HBOGO that I have on my AppleTV. Also, I wonder if they will limit simultaneous streams like Netflix (I have 2). Keep in mind if a lot of people start streaming then the CABLE company may start capping more which could be a serious problem.

Cobster

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Denmark
Denmark: HBOnordic same Price as Netflix - But lousy app and lousy conditions... One one user online - Netflix allows two...

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Now if ESPN announces a cable-less subscription, we can start the death countdown for cable TV. When online TV watchers outnumber cable TV, the major sports will all make the move to online. They'd actually be better off cutting out the middle men cable companies.

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I have DirecTV, but mainly for watching the NFL and HBO. This is definitely interesting to me as I've been considering dumping my TV provider and going to watch games at a sports bar with friends. Interested in seeing what the price would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.