Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has plans to stop selling Fitbit's line of activity tracking devices in its stores as it prepares to launch its own Apple Watch in the coming months, reports Re/code.

While it is not known why Apple plans to cease selling Fitbit products, its decision comes shortly after Fitbit told its users that it had no plans to integrate with Apple's HealthKit at the current time, as it was "working on other exciting projects" for its users.

fitbitforce.jpg
Fitbit's line of activity trackers are similar in function to the Apple Watch, offering users the ability to track their steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, stairs climbed, and sleep quality. Recent rumors have suggested Fitbit has several new devices in the works that will launch soon, with all of the above features plus a heart rate monitor. A heart rate monitor is one of the key features of the Apple Watch.

Apple sells many other types of fitness tracking devices both in its online store and in retail locations, including the UP from Jawbone and the Nike Fuelband, and it is unclear whether Apple will continue to sell these devices or if the ban is limited to Fitbit.

Fitbit's activity trackers won't be the first products Apple has stopped selling in recent weeks. Just last week, news surfaced that Apple was preparing to remove Bose audio products from its stores. While the reason for that removal was unclear, it was likely related to Apple's recent Beats Electronics acquisition. Apple has indeed gone ahead and started removing the headphones from its retail stores according to both Twitter users and tips received by MacRumors.

Article Link: Apple to Cease Selling Fitbit Activity Tracking Devices in Stores

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Excellent. Serves Fitbit right for being snobby, proud teenagers rejecting HealthKit support.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"Fitbit told its users that it had no plans to integrate with Apple's HealthKit"

That's reason enough. There's no reason for Apple to sell or showcase items in its store that don't integrate well with their own products.

Last edited:

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
While it is not known why Apple plans to cease selling Fitbit products, its decision comes shortly after Fitbit told its users that it had no plans to integrate with Apple's HealthKit at the current time, as it was "working on other exciting projects" for its users.

Dumb move. This will only accelerate their disruption and ultimate demise.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I wonder how much of a hit/impact this even makes to Fitbit's bottom line. How many people buy fitness devices at the Apple store. I am sure some. I just question the volume.

I would think Amazon, Best Buy and other places are far more important as a sales vehicle for Fitbit.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm on board with this. The main Apple area of the store is nice, but the rest of it looks like a bazaar sometimes. They need to get rid of this other junk that isn't built explicitly in a partnership. Fitbit is no better on iOS than on Android, so they shouldn't get this prime real estate ahead of someone else who IS trying to be mutually beneficial. Same with Bose. If they want to actively FINE people for preferring a different brand, even if it's for a cause, then I really am not interested in their products. Same with the whole Samsung "you can't use the phone you prefer at the Olympics" nonsense. Tacky.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Apple products are sold at other retailers. Discontinuing too many choices could backfire on Apple.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Excellent. Serves Fitbit right for being snobby, proud teenagers rejecting HealthKit support.

Well, this should be no surprise.

FitBit says: "We don't have plans to adopt your HealthKit stuff, Apple."

Apple says: "There are dozens of other companies that are already supporting our HealthKit apps. They would love to see their products on our Retail Store shelves. We need to make room for their products, so yours will have to be removed from the shelves. They'll be taking your spot."

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
Fitbit's line of activity trackers are similar in function to the Apple Watch

lol, yeah. fitbit.. similar to an apple watch. in every way. except... well, maybe in one or two ways. lol. well.. maybe not. ok, they both count steps.

tliede20

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Apple / Fitbit Fued

It doesn't make much difference, apple will stop selling the fuelband soon too I suppose as the product was discontinued to an extent to make way for the apple watch... so it'll be the Apple Watch and the jawbone up... lol. I like the UP because it integrates with so many things... unlike my fitbit flex; although if the Fitbit Charge would integrate like jawbones UP does; I'd be so down.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Apple products are sold at other retailers. Discontinuing too many choices could backfire on Apple.

When I go into an Apple Store, I expect any accessories I buy to work well with my iOS devices. If I buy Fitbit inside the Apple Store only to find out that it will be a half-baked experience because it doesn't support Health Kit, I would be mad.

I'm sure it'll still function in some ways with iOS devices. But when I'm in the Apple Store, I want to see items that offer strong and full integration. Selling health related accessories that integrate well with Health Kit is a must.

(Obviously, this argument does not apply to the Bose situation. But for this... this makes sense.)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Amusing to me is this turn of phrase, "if the ban is limited to Fitbit."

Ban? Is it really a ban? Or is it just the end of an agreement or desire to sell the product. Ban seems quite extreme...

BigCLC

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Apple to Cease Selling Fitbit Activity Tracking Devices in Stores

I ditched fitbit as soon as they announced that they wouldn't support the health app. I also noticed that they require you to email them to delete your account. Pretty shady...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
"Fitbit told its users that it had no plans to integrate with Apple's HealthKit"

That's reason enough. There's no reason for Apple to sell or showcase items in its store that doesn't integrate well with their own products.

Exactly. Why support something that doesn't support you? It's their retail space, they can carry whatever they want. No reason to fault them there. They're better off promoting something like the Jawbone UP which supports HealthKit.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I wonder how much of a hit/impact this even makes to Fitbit's bottom line. How many people buy fitness devices at the Apple store. I am sure some. I just question the volume.

It doesn't matter too much if barely any Apple Store customers currently buy FitBit from the Store. What matters more is that other lesser-known brands (possibly competitors to FitBit) will now be supporting HealthKit, and therefore their products will be getting free promotional backing through Apple. In other words, FitBit products will disappear from the Apple Store shelves, and their retail shelf space will likely be taken over by competitors (who do support Apple's HealthKit).

SC54HI

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Fitbit's products are definitely subpar, especially the Flex. For that reason alone, Apple should sever any connection with the company.

The Flex has major design problems; a family member has had three of them and each one failed within a month.

Sinequanon83

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
I'll need to bookmark this, because when I'm standing in line to buy a stupid :apple:Watch, this'll be why. *sigh*

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When I go into an Apple Store, I expect any accessories I buy to work well with my iOS devices. If I buy Fitbit inside the Apple Store only to find out that it will be a half-baked experience because it doesn't support Health Kit, I would be mad.

I'm sure it'll still function in some capacity. But when I'm in the Apple Store, I want to see items that offer strong and full integration.

(Obviously, this argument does not apply to the Bose situation. But for this... this makes sense.)

Unless I'm mistaken - Health is for phones only. That might change in the next 48 hours. Fitbit works with several generations of the iPad.

Are you suggesting that everything in the Apple store be compatible with ONLY the latest tech and alienate those with previous generations of products?

spectrumfox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Some of the responses from people on this board are bordering on scary.

For example, saying FitBit deserves to go out of business because they don't want to support Apple's HealthKit, and they deserve what they get.

Since when was partnering with Apple a requirement for a company?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raketemensch

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
Tralfamadore
But Fitbit tracks sleep.

Sleep tracking is one of the main things that attracts me to Fitbit.

The Apple watch won't be able to track sleep, since that's when they expect people to charge it every night.

Honestly, as odd as it sounds, that's one of the main marks against the Aple Watch in my brain right now.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Most here will try to say Apple should be removing them because they don't support Healthkit. However, the fact is very few products are actually supporting Healthkit currently. We all know the real reason is because Apple is coming out with the Apple Watch. But I'm sure this thread will be 100 pages long crapping all over Fitbit for not supporting Healthkit.

It is clear Apple is starting to remove products from the Apple Store that compete with their own products. They did it with Bose and now Fitbit. They certainly have that right. However, pushing away partners that make the iOS ecosystem so strong may not be wise in the long run. You can bet Fitbit is going to start putting more resources into the Android in case Apple does even more to lock them out of iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.