Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of tomorrow's media event that will likely see Apple previewing OS X Yosemite one last time ahead of the software's public release, apps that contain support for Yosemite-only features have begun hitting the Mac App Store.

PCalc, a popular calculator app for Mac, for example, has been updated with full support for OS X Yosemite, offering a Notification Center Widget and Handoff capabilities.

pcalcyosemite.jpg
The arrival of Mac apps with Yosemite support suggests that the new operating system will be debuting shortly after the upcoming media event, possibly arriving as soon as tomorrow. Apple has seeded three separate Yosemite GM candidates, suggesting the software is nearing completion.

OS X Yosemite introduces a system-wide redesign that brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with a heavy emphasis on translucency. The update includes a redesigned dock, a new look for windows, and a new "Dark Mode" option.

Along with a redesign, Yosemite also offers a range of new features, such as improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity, a new "Today" view in the Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search with new data sources, and several new features for key apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

Like OS X Mavericks, OS X Yosemite will be available to all Mac users as a free download.

Article Link: Mac Apps With OS X Yosemite-Specific Features Begin Hitting the App Store

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Using my incredible analyst skills, I predict that Apple will release OS X Yosemite soon. Blam. Pay me.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Still no photo editing in Mail or attachment transfers as per the WWDC keynote. I think they still have some work to do.

Any features that aren't present in the GM candidates are not going to appear in the first release of Yosemite. GM 3 is probably only a few minor changes away from RTM.

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
Hope the release doesn't have any bugs or anything! And I hope they release 8.1 on time. I am desperate to switch on the iCloud Drive feature on both of them lol.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Hope the release doesn't have any bugs or anything! And I hope they release 8.1 on time. I am desperate to switch on the iCloud Drive feature on both of them lol.

All OS releases have bugs, it's just a matter of how many and how serious they are :)

----------

The Public Beta 6 still has the WIFI bug! I am dropped from the connection sometimes! Please fix!

You seem to be in the minority with this issue. It may be helpful to do a full install of Yosemite once it's released to see if that resolves it for you.

I plan on doing a full reinstall on my machines that have been updated tens of times during this beta/dev release cycle. Even though they are all working fine, I'd feel better knowing there's no beta cruft leftover on my machines.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
If only Microsoft could surprise us with its Yosemite-optimized new version of Office.

Won't happen, I know. But still... :confused:

I believe this is why the whole thing was delayed. They were supposed to be making an announcement earlier in the year, and then Yosemite happened.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
All OS releases have bugs, it's just a matter of how many and how serious they are :)

----------

You seem to be in the minority with this issue. It may be helpful to do a full install of Yosemite once it's released to see if that resolves it for you.

I plan on doing a full reinstall on my machines that have been updated tens of times during this beta/dev release cycle. Even though they are all working fine, I'd feel better knowing there's no beta cruft leftover on my machines.

Why oh why do people still recommend reinstalling OS X, this is not Windows, problems are almost always fixed without a reinstall. :(

If only there was a place you could go to report bugs/issues with the Beta....

Feedback Assistant is available, just do a spotlight search

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
You are late to the party MacRumors.. I've had several Yosemite updated apps since DP4 I think..

All tho I believe Apple is holding off brand new Yosemite-Only apps for launch day, so that during the keynote on Thursday they can show off some Yosemite ready apps built with Swift and etc.

And of course to make their usual "Apps for Yosemite" list in the App Store like they did with iOS 7, 8 and etc.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Why oh why do people still recommend reinstalling OS X, this is not Windows, problems are almost always fixed without a reinstall. :(

Because he's probably had multiple versions of a beta OS on the machine.

From one major release to another I wouldn't bother, but with a dozen or more builds of a beta OS applied to the machine a reinstallation is a prudent thing to do.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
My Wifi has been flakey for probably a year now. Not sure what update crippled it. Can't stream anything on my local network without jitters, and that's with the macbook 4 feet away from the router.

Only on Yosemite for me, sometimes is good for hours in a row, then it just drops again and again.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I have never been one to notice bugs, however I am having crazy graphical problems with finder were I can't click things unless I expand the window more. I can't believe in a RC I am still seeing blatant problems like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.