Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jimmy Iovine, Beats' co-founder who joined Apple after the company acquired Beats in May, today spoke at the University of Southern California's Global Conversation (via Business Insider) where he commented on the NFL's recent decision to ban players from wearing Beats headphones in order to promote Bose headphones.

According to Iovine, the ban on Beats has been great for the brand. "I can't believe I'm this lucky," said Iovine, in reference to players who have begun wearing Beats headphones with tape over the logo to avoid fines. Iovine went on to say that Bose is "culturally inept."

colinkaepernickbeats.jpg
Colin Kaepernick wearing Beats headphones with logo covered. Image via Matt Maiocco
"What happened there, you have a tech company that's culturally inept," Iovine said. "There's no one at the company that said, 'If you ban these guys, you're going to look bad to the young people, and they're going to look like superheroes even though they're just pure capitalists -- well they're not pure capitalists, but they're real capitalists and [they] sold that company to Apple -- but you're going to make them look like the underdog."
While Bose and the NFL signed a sponsorship agreement before the season began, the NFL decided earlier this month to ban players from wearing Beats headphones in front of television cameras to support its sponsor. Players are banned from wearing Beats headphones when conducting interviews during training camp, during practice sessions, and on game day, from before the event until 90 minutes after play has ended.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who has an endorsement deal with Beats, defied the NFL's ban and wore bright pink Beats headphones during a press conference, earning himself a $10,000 fine. Since then, Kaepernick has been seen again wearing the same bright pink Beats headphones, but he has placed tape over the Beats logo to avoid further fines.

In addition to being banned by the NFL, Beats headphones have also been banned from other major sporting events, including the World Cup and the 2012 London Olympics.

Article Link: Jimmy Iovine: NFL Banning Beats Makes Us 'Look Like Superheroes'

sosull

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
He's probably right—the ban makes Beats seem all cool and rebellious, rather than being just one more product of an enormous advertising budget.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
What a Sad World....

We have war, poverty and what not... Bose does not want Beats to be worn on NFL interviews. Beats does. So everybody starts crying. And making a huge deal out of it.

What a childish and cold world we live in... Where a fat guy feels the need to publicly bend a perfectly good iPhone 6 Plus just cause he can and because he need to fill the void that no girls like him and a million-dollar quarterback needs to wear sissy-pink crappy sounding headphones in an interview JUST to get a little more attention...

Where I am from, we laugh whenever we see someone with a strong case of inferiority complex wearing beats headphones...

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
He's probably right—the ban makes Beats seem all cool and rebellious, rather than being just one more product of an enormous advertising budget.

You do realize the only reason these sports guys are wearing beats is because of the big advertising budget Beats has and is paying them right?

goatless

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
We have war, poverty and what not... Bose does not want Beats to be worn on NFL interviews. Beats does. So everybody starts crying. And making a huge deal out of it.

What a childish and cold world we live in... Where a fat guy feels the need to publicly bend a perfectly good iPhone 6 Plus just cause he can and because he need to fill the void that no girls like him and a million-dollar quarterback needs to wear sissy-pink crappy sounding headphones in an interview JUST to get a little more attention...

People like that are worse than terrorists !!!!
He gets paid to wear them.
Pink signifies support for breast cancer awareness.
Worse than terrorists?

Oh, wait, damn, I've been trolled.

NCArmyofOne

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Apple didn't buy the Beats cause they suck, they bought Beats due to the sound technology and how it can help optimize and advance iTunes. They were never considering to compete with Bose or Sony etc....

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
You do realize the only reason these sports guys are wearing beats is because of the big advertising budget Beats has and is paying them right?

yes captain obvious. the member who you quoted was saying the exact same thing.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
It was said that the $10k fine the NFL put on Kaep bought Beats nearly $1 million in advertising.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Apple didn't buy the Beats cause they suck, they bought Beats due to the sound technology and how it can help optimize and advance iTunes. They were never considering to compete with Bose or Sony etc....

Been an audio engineer the past 20 years. Beats headphones sell because they have an awesome producers name on them. They are totally inferior to i.e Sennheiser which if course aren't looking so flashy... And thus boosting your self-esteem when walking the streets.

Personally, I think they look really funny

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008

If I were making the money a big sports star make.. I would NOT put on stuff like that on my head...

Gonna be real funny if Victorias Secret starts entering the NFL... Then all the big players are going to be wearing corsets and tit-holsters --- cuz hey, they are being paid to do so !!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Sure does

One more black mark for Goodell. Does he have the right to sell exclusive rights to every headphone worn? The players can't wear anything but crappy Boses? And only the league is allowed the endorsement money?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
If I were making the money a big sports star make.. I would NOT put on stuff like that on my head...

Gonna be real funny if Victorias Secret starts entering the NFL... Then all the big players are going to be wearing corsets and tit-holsters --- cuz hey, they are being paid to do so !!

Never gonna happen. Big headphones, macho. Wearing Victoria's Secret lingerie, not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Part of that big money and all that are the sponsorships/endorsements, in fact as far as ongoing payments that can be longer lasting those can be more important in some sense than the actual team contracts those players have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.