Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
If you were in the situation where you tried out a 6 Plus for a while and then decided to stay or switch to the iPhone 6, can you explain your reasoning? What made you give up the battery life and screen estate? How are you coping with the lower battery life after the switch? Do you have switcher's remorse? What things are you glad have changed for you now?

Hopefully this helps the many of us out there make better informed decisions. Thanks in advance.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I had both. Returned the 6 and kept the plus. I just couldn't go back to the smaller phone after the plus. Not what you asked, but the other way!

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
I guess that's partly what I'm trying to gauge too. If there weren't, then that's useful info in itself.

Look, I bought the 6 plus on launch day and was happy at first. Then I started doubting my decision and I think it had a lot to do with the threads here on MR. I started thinking it wasnt portable enough, hard to hold, everything that was promoted here by 6 owners. So I ordered the 6 from Apple. And while I waited on the 6, the 6 Plus started to shrink... A LOT!!! Now it feels completely normal. I'm used to holding it, using it, carrying it. I absolutely love it. So before the 6 even arrived, I realized I was going to keep the Plus. I never even opened the 6. Just sent it right back to Apple, unopened. Best decision EVER. Now, none of you envious 6 owners could convince me otherwise!

FWIW, one of my assistants bought the 6. Its seems too small now.

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Look, I bought the 6 plus on launch day and was happy at first. Then I started doubting my decision and I think it had a lot to do with the threads here on MR. I started thinking it wasnt portable enough, hard to hold, everything that was promoted here by 6 owners. So I ordered the 6 from Apple. And while I waited on the 6, the 6 Plus started to shrink... A LOT!!! Now it feels completely normal. I'm used to holding it, using it, carrying it. I absolutely love it. So before the 6 even arrived, I realized I was going to keep the Plus. I never even opened the 6. Just sent it right back to Apple, unopened. Best decision EVER. Now, none of you envious 6 owners could convince me otherwise!

FWIW, one of my assistants bought the 6. Its seems too small now.

I'm actually a 6 plus owner with a 6 waiting to go back. I *think* I'm getting to that stage where I feel like the plus is shrinking and I'm adjusting to it. But when I hold the 6 I just tell myself this feels so much more natural. But then I think about the battery life and it's like a circle of conflicting factors lol.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I've seen some threads about 6+ owners switching to the 6.

Personally I am a 6 owner whom thought he wanted the 6+ on launch until he held it. I've been to the store numerous times and held the 6+ and I know I made the correct decision for MYSELF.

There's absolutely no "ENVY" from this 6 owner... I'm happy you all enjoy it. I also enjoy my iPhone 6

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I got both on launch day, the 6+ was tough to get used to, every time I see another person with it, it always looks too big. As days went by, the 6+ felt like an iPad Mini substitute. Even though I got comfortable using it, I found myself often using it with two hands to use it when taking photos and texting. I ended up keeping the 6, I like taking selfies with one hand and texting with one hand. The battery life is already good enough on the 6 that a few extra hours are not a big deal. I have my iPad to be my iPad. :)

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I've posted in many threads explaining why I transitioned to a 6 from a Plus and it mostly involves the unwieldiness that comes with a device so large and tall. The screen, battery, and camera are awesome no doubt, but seeing as it's important I have a phone that's able to be portable and also function as a quick-action camera, it's important that I have it be more in the design of the 6.

I love the Plus a lot, I do. But after a few weeks with it, I started to notice things becoming a total hassle that were once easy for me. With older phones I had, taking pictures, sending texts, all of these I could master with one hand if necessary. The Plus dramatically changes how you approach the device, and it just seems unnecessarily big to me due to the bezels. It's just too hard to do anything that quick with the Plus once you step out into the "real world" away from the luxuries of home.

The weight is also a factor to consider, while the numbers might not seem that drastic, the iPhone 6 is like a feather by comparison. One of my favorite features of the iPhone 5 series was how light it was, and the Plus kind of went far away from that.

Basically, I loved what the Plus is good at, but I hated what it isn't good at. Almost any form of true, one-handed use is null and void.

I did get "used" to a lot of the Plus' mannerisms and quirks, but it just became too much of a hassle to operate one-handed (I do not think all phones have to be "one-handed"), it's just that the Plus doesn't have to be as big as it is in length, because other flagship Android phones are far smaller and happen to have a bigger screen.

I really need something that can be dimensional in the way I need it to be. Getting emergency calls, quick texts, very fast pictures of moving objects: all of this is easier on the smaller form factor. The iPhone 6 isn't small, it's about the same size as some major flagship phones, and until they trim the bezels and make it leaner in the body, the screen size shouldn't get too much bigger.

I was once in the "I'll never go back to a smaller size!" group, but after numerous, fumbling attempts to dig for my phone while seated, and many moments trying to capture a picture or video and dealing with the unorthodox size that cramped my pockets just was too much to sacrifice for the extra inch of screen real estate.

Hopefully by the iPhone 7, Apple will make it lighter and make the phone less-long in the hand so that it could be an actual revolutionary phone. I mean, it's awesome as it is, but it's more of a tablet ("phablet") and I need something that I can operate in any situation and the Plus is just too difficult to accomplish that (unless you have massive hands). And yes, hopefully it won't bend as easily.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
For me it was mainly that I wasn't ready to give up one-handed use and also the lack of apps/iOS features that take advantage of the larger screen. I may give it another shot next year with the 6S Plus if Apple puts the larger screen to better use.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
For me it was mainly that I wasn't ready to give up one-handed use and also the lack of apps/iOS features that take advantage of the larger screen. I may give it another shot next year with the 6S Plus if Apple puts the larger screen to better use.

I agree with this.

Also, it might take nearly a year for most of the non-major apps to update to the Plus, and that resolution with the non-updated apps is just not pretty at all.

I know some apps updated recently for the 6, but the Plus was still absent in the update notices. I think it could be at least a year before things are completely standardized among the platform.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
It's pretty obvious.

1. one handed use is limited at best
2. It's too big and doesn't fit well in pockets
3. Not comfortable
4. Apps aren't optimized yet
5. Symetric bezel size is stupid on this size screen and should be reduced.

I can see myself using 2 devices. One portable one larger. But I would rather have a smaller device now as it is more versatile and possibly add a larger device next year when the plus is more refined.

Plus has a great screen and battery but frankly if I can only have one device it's the more traditional iphone for now.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I've seen some threads about 6+ owners switching to the 6.

Personally I am a 6 owner whom thought he wanted the 6+ on launch until he held it. I've been to the store numerous times and held the 6+ and I know I made the correct decision for MYSELF.

There's absolutely no "ENVY" from this 6 owner... I'm happy you all enjoy it. I also enjoy my iPhone 6

Same here. Several coworkers have Note 2/3's and I wanted a phablet until I looked at the size Apple's ended up being. I bought the 6 and my wife has the 6+. The 6 is just the right size for me, any bigger would be to big until Apple can shrink the phone size as a whole. i.e. the bezels. (It's not the screen size but the overall phone size.) My wife absolutely loves her 6+ so far. I just couldn't comfortably carry it in my pockets. I wear your typical relaxed fit style jeans, no skinny jeans for this redneck. I'm certainly glad they have both options, something for everyone. Really think they should have an updated 4" too, there really is a market there.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I had the 6 for a week, swapped it for the Plus thinking it was the best choice.

First day with the Plus I was loving it, the extra screen real estate, the battery and the landscape mode were all things I loved, and it didn't even feel that big.

Second day with the Plus, I quickly changed my mind. It just started feeling too big for my lifestyle; it bulked my pockets and it required 2 hands all the time.

After realising what I needed was a more portable phone, that can slip in and out of my pocket easily and be used one-handed whilst I'm walking places, the 6 was the logical choice.

So, it took spending a week with the 6 and 2 days with the Plus for me to truly appreciate the 6. The 6 has the best balance of usability and size.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I returned 2 6 Pluses then ended up buying another one later (because I got a good deal, not because I wanted another 6 Plus).

For me the 6 Plus is just too awkward to use. Even right now when I have both phones, I can just whip out the 6 and snap a pic, or fire of a text. With the 6 Plus I always gotta worry about how I am holding in my hand because the balance is off. It's just not convenient IMO.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Something that bothered me about the 6 Plus was not o my the size a weight of the phone and all the inconveniences that comes from that, but the fact that Apple decided against increasing the RAM on the phones.

Next year they'll have a chance to optimize the phone, and perhaps then I'll give it another look.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Something that bothered me about the 6 Plus was not o my the size a weight of the phone and all the inconveniences that comes from that, but the fact that Apple decided against increasing the RAM on the phones.

Next year they'll have a chance to optimize the phone, and perhaps then I'll give it another look.

I was so optimistic that they would have added more RAM in the Plus...really crushed when I found out it had 1GB just like the 6. Still a great upgrade over my 5 though.

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Got a 6 Plus on launch day, had it for a week unfortunately it turned out to be to big ( Tall ) for using the phone at work. I replaced it with a 64GB iPhone 6 and am happy with the size of the phone for a work phone. But miss the bigger display and camera, oh well will get the bigger one again next year and keep my current iPhone 6 for my travel phone and work phone for when I need to

respectabilia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Would you guys consider yourselves power users? If so how are you adjusting to the good-but-lower battery of the 6?

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
It's pretty obvious.

1. one handed use is limited at best
2. It's too big and doesn't fit well in pockets
3. Not comfortable
4. Apps aren't optimized yet
5. Symetric bezel size is stupid on this size screen and should be reduced.

I can see myself using 2 devices. One portable one larger. But I would rather have a smaller device now as it is more versatile and possibly add a larger device next year when the plus is more refined.

Plus has a great screen and battery but frankly if I can only have one device it's the more traditional iphone for now.

Completely agree with this.

I had both the 6+ and 6 since launch day and had a hard time deciding which to keep. Battery life, screen and OIS were drawing me to the plus but it was always to cumbersome to use easily. Also, apps are not optimised and Don't utilise the screen real estate well.

I ended up returning the 6+ and kept the 6 because it's easy to hold and use in all situations (public transport one handed etc), has enough battery to last me a full day with plenty of power still remaining and the screen is pretty good anyway.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Would you guys consider yourselves power users? If so how are you adjusting to the good-but-lower battery of the 6?

I'm definitely in that category and I think that the battery has been holding up surprisingly well. I remember on my 5s the battery went from 100 to 99 very quick, but the 6 has made it seem like a much slower drain.

If I were using it all day to watch media and then expect to have a phone in case of an energy, I would keep my Anker power adapter with me. But if I just watch an occasional video or so, I don't feel like I need to keep a spare battery charge with me for use all day.

It's definitely not on par with the Plus, but I think it's a nice upgrade from the 5s in terms of battery. Likely the second best iPhone battery ever (aside from the Plus), but this isn't surprising or anything.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Everyone that see's my 6 plus always says it's so big. It feels so normal to me now and can't imagine going to a smaller phone.. ever!! I really wouldn't care if the cycle battery life were the same as the 6, I'd still want the plus. The 6 and previous models just seem so small to me now.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
The plus is silly big, I returned it. It's just too big for a daily phone. With all the bending issues I decided that it was too silly. Love the new 64 gb 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.