Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bensweet108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
I was with iPhone since the early days and then for a few years went to Android (my dark years) and recently I came back to iPhone and will never go back to Android period.

I made an interesting observation:

Why is it that Android people always make fun of iPhone and almost never the other way around?

I figured it out: iPhone users are in bliss, they know they got the most awesome phone and Android won;t every come close to that beautiful experience.

Android people feel threatened but will never admit it. That's why they quite often have to talk crap about iPhone. They live in fear.

Having been on both sides, this is my honest observation.

What are your thoughts?

bensweet108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2014
Well I'm sorry if I gave that feeling to some. That was definitely not my intention. It's really what I concluded… Belief it or not, let's just move on.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Why is it that Android people always make fun of iPhone and almost never the other way around?

I figured it out: iPhone users are in bliss, they know they got the most awesome phone and Android won;t every come close to that beautiful experience.

Android people feel threatened but will never admit it. That's why they quite often have to talk crap about iPhone. They live in fear.

oh well, didnt you just turn your observation upside down?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Okay, just read the comments about anything that's about google in the macrumors news, and then tell us apple fanboys don't say a lot of crap about everything that has the green robot in it.

That's because you're new here. iPhone fanboys certainly used to poke fun at Android.... but then Android basically surpassed iPhone (first on the software front, then a few years later on the hardware front) and nowadays there really isn't much to make fun of since iOS seems to be following Android's lead.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the amount of insults, trolling, and making fun goes both ways. Android people belittle iPhone users, and vice versa.

Its basically a repeat of the PC vs. Mac days where people entrenched in one platform belittle the users of the other platform. People take phones way too serious and it shows in how they respond to the others using something different.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
That's because you're new here. iPhone fanboys certainly used to poke fun at Android.... but then Android basically surpassed iPhone (first on the software front, then a few years later on the hardware front) and nowadays there really isn't much to make fun of since iOS seems to be following Android's lead.
I think 'if' what you are saying is true, moving to Android would be a no brainer. Unfortunately nothing is black and white and not everybody holds the opinion one is truly better than the other.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Agreed. Don't know if anyone remembers the Ethernet vs Token Ring days. Hasn't changed - Just a different box of goodies but the same old arguments.

I think the amount of insults, trolling, and making fun goes both ways. Android people belittle iPhone users, and vice versa.

Its basically a repeat of the PC vs. Mac days where people entrenched in one platform belittle the users of the other platform. People take phones way too serious and it shows in how they respond to the others using something different.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

And in the process of making such a patronising asinine uneducated post, you actually do exactly what you claim iPhone users never do... Oh sweet irony.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany

New? Where did you get that idea? I'm a long time reader, the account is just from 2013.

And my thesis still stands: Just read any thread about google or other competitor products and you see lots and lots of ******** about google products, just like android users post crap about iPhones in other forums. I guess dumb people and/or fanboys exist on both sides.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I think 'if' what you are saying is true, moving to Android would be a no brainer. Unfortunately nothing is black and white and not everybody holds the opinion one is truly better than the other.

Personal preference is one thing but objectively, there is not much of a competitive comparison. Strictly looking at capabilities, features, and functions then Android is more scalable, more flexible and has been for a long time now.

Hardware isn't even a competition at this point. Android phones are faster, with better displays, available in more configurations.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Personal preference is one thing but objectively, there is not much of a competitive comparison. Strictly looking at capabilities, features, and functions then Android is more scalable, more flexible and has been for a long time now.

Hardware isn't even a competition at this point. Android phones are faster, with better displays, available in more configurations.
Then why has the iPhone not sunk into the abyss?
I agree Android has a lot to offer in terms of choice and features, but that isn't always what people look for, many do, many don't. 'Better' can only really be determined on a personal level and even then it is subjective. Personal preference is what drives people to make the purchase in the first place.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Then why has the iPhone not sunk into the abyss?
I agree Android has a lot to offer in terms of choice and features, but that isn't always what people look for, many do, many don't. 'Better' can only really be determined on a personal level and even then it is subjective. Personal preference is what drives people to make the purchase in the first place.

In terms of "better displays", I am afraid you are mistaken. When it comes to displays, ceteris paribus higher ppi/higher resolution is better (or maybe superior would be a be a more apt term).

For those who might not realize: The iPhone 6+ has a 1080p display, which is the norm 2013-2014 for high end smartphones. LG, Motorola, and Samsung all have 6-inch phones with 2560x1440 resolutions.

The iPhone 6+ screen is not bad by any means. On the contrary, I think it is very nice... but objectively speaking it is a step below the current offerings of other platforms.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In terms of "better displays", I am afraid you are mistaken. When it comes to displays, ceteris paribus higher ppi/higher resolution is better (or maybe superior would be a be a more apt term).

For those who might not realize: The iPhone 6+ has a 1080p display, which is the norm 2013-2014 for high end smartphones. LG, Motorola, and Samsung all have 6-inch phones with 2560x1440 resolutions.

The iPhone 6+ screen is not bad by any means. On the contrary, I think it is very nice... but objectively speaking it is a step below the current offerings of other platforms.

I guess the vast majority of people wouldn't care or be able to tell the difference. I also don't think a lot of consumers compare specs down to the dpi of screens, I certainly don't. I buy what I like the feel of and what best suits my needs. For me right now that is the iPhone, so you could say it's the best phone on the market for me and in my opinion. This is subjective of course.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was with iPhone since the early days and then for a few years went to Android (my dark years) and recently I came back to iPhone and will never go back to Android period.

What are your thoughts?
Trolling trolling trollin....keep those comments to yourself.

Just like if i post in the iPhone thread and say how much i don't like IOS and how all people who use it are inferior to Android users.
You are the iPhone user elitist stereotype. "I have an iPhone therefore everyone wants to be just like me and live in fear of me!"
Then aren't you contradicting yourself?

You are just trolling......

Last edited:

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're a troll, an amusing troll I give you that, but a troll nonetheless.

I bloody love my iPhone but that's the most hysterical load of bull I've read in years.

You genuinely think someone with any phone whatsoever at all lives in fear of another phone? Fear? Seriously?

My suggestion to you would be to step into the real world where phones aren't objects of fear. They're portable communication/entertainment devices.

I've never in my life met a single person who was living in fear of another phone.

I give you a 1 out of 10 for your trolling effort. You really should try harder.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
There are loads of fantastic smartphones and OSes available right now each with their own merits. The reason I've stuck with an iphone is that I know it does what I need/want - not because I necessarily believe it is the best (or even the best for me).

Since we have so many choices in front us of each day, one less to ponder frees up one's mind for the more important decisions. Barry Schwartz give a nice talk about the perils of choice on TED:

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice?language=en

Of course, Steve Jobs famously decided to wear the same 'work uniform' each day so that there was one less trivial choice to take up his thinking space.

I think you'll find there's plenty going in both directions. There will always be a minority who pin their self-esteem on their consumer choices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

What are your thoughts?

'Tis the season to be trolling, fa la la la la ......

I think your the one who feels threatened by all the great Android devices being released.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Lots of android users in denial here.

Have you guys even seen Engadget?

Apple posts are dominated by android users
Android posts get no where near as many replies and there's rarely any bickering

Also, a huge forum like this one for Apple news has an android section.

Find me an android forum with an unbiased apple section..

GOODLUCK

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Android posts get no where near as many replies and there's rarely any bickering

Also, a huge forum like this one for Apple news has an android section.

Find me an android forum with an unbiased apple section..

GOODLUCK
Hmmm......most of us use both IOS and Android phones. I actually criticize both platforms. I have both IOS and Android phones because......well they both lack something that makes me need the other.

But I think it comes as a shock to some Apple fans when their platform is criticized....

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

You're joking, don't you?

Engadget is a troll fest from all the sides. And The Verge is going the same way

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
You're joking, don't you?

Engadget is a troll fest from all the sides. And The Verge is going the same way

no, not joking.

go look at the iPad article on engadget right now, and then compare it to the nexus 9 article.

just look. 90% of the posts in the iPad article are from android losers, bashing the iPad and blah blah blah, whereas the nexus 9 article is just.. well, no real hate from apple users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.