Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
My 4S is still on 6.1.3, and I've clutched to it like Charles Huston to a gun. But it's time to upgrade soon (3G@Verizon speeds, no talk&surf), and I hate the "new" iOS interface look. It's not just the flat icons, it's the overall flattening, trying to make the UI disappear with super-skinny blue fonts.

Is Winterboard gone? Is there even a theme customization ability for iOS 8? And does it affect just the home screen, or UI elements in apps too?

frozentoast

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
At present there is no iOS 8 jailbreak, so you could potentially be waiting a long time for any kind of customisation. The UI elements are largely the same as iOS 7 and they were extremely ‘themeable’. Whenever it happens I’m sure you will find something suitable.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
And frankly, you'll likely get used to the iOS 8 look fairly quickly. I know I personally look at iOS 6 now and think "wow does that look cheesy and dated."

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And frankly, you'll likely get used to the iOS 8 look fairly quickly. I know I personally look at iOS 6 now and think "wow does that look cheesy and dated."
To each his own, but I've had 7.1.2 for about a month and a half now and I am not "used" to the look.

I hate this GD FisherPrice/Playskool inspired GD unicorn throwup OS! If it weren't for the fact that I had to replace this phone a month and a half ago I'd still be on iOS 6.1 and would have stayed there.

It's only Eclipse, Monochrome and a few other tweaks that are preventing me from going insane!

And iOS 8 doesn't change much of the iOS 7 look.

I'm in hell with this iOS, I don't like it and I certainly am not "used" to it!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
^
I agree.

I have the latest iPod touch on 6.1.3 and wish it was my iPhone.
There are times I go back to an iP4 from a 5S just because it is on the earlier firmware even though it is, of course, much slower.

Awhile back Apple accidentally allowed iDevices to go back to earlier firmware as there was a glitch in their signing. The tremendous support we all had for one another as we were frantically 'downgrading' our firmware was fantastic and a joy to watch!

I wish Apple would error again. . .

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Awhile back Apple accidentally allowed iDevices to go back to earlier firmware as there was a glitch in their signing. The tremendous support we all had for one another as we were frantically 'downgrading' our firmware was fantastic and a joy to watch!

Agreed! I remember that and I wish with you!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
^
I agree.

I have the latest iPod touch on 6.1.3 and wish it was my iPhone.
There are times I go back to an iP4 from a 5S just because it is on the earlier firmware even though it is, of course, much slower.

Agreed! I remember that and I wish with you!

I want to think there's a big red button somewhere inside the apple data centers that you could press to allow the signing of firmware and am convinced it was an inside job that re-allowed the restore of an older firmware last time

/conspiracy theories

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I want to think there's a big red button somewhere inside the apple data centers that you could press to allow the signing of firmware and am convinced it was an inside job that re-allowed the restore of an older firmware last time

/conspiracy theories
I would not be surprised at all to discover it was an inside job. I wish it would happen again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.