Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Hello. This is a thread mainly for people that has never had an iPhone before. My whole life I've always had Nokias, but yesterday that changed...

When I came home yesterday I saw that I had a package waiting for me. I saw that it said my phone providers name and thought to myself "no way, this can't be what I think it is". The predicted time for me to get the phone was November 10 but outta nowhere I had already gotten it. So I obviously rushed to the post office and back home. When I opened the extremely well made packaging and saw the device I didn't know how to react. It was like a child's birth.

I had previously been stuck with windows phone for 2 very long years. And yes the app problem is very real. I could finally download all apps I've always wanted that windows phone never got. Also the apps we did get we're nowhere as good as on iPhone. Facebook for e.g feels like it's 20 versions ahead on iOS.

Everything on the iPhone is so fast and fluent. You can work so fast on it. I was a bit scared about the ram but so far I have not faced any problems with it. Haven't faced any reloadings. People were also talking about it only having 8 mega pixels but I feel like the camera is a lot better than on the lumia 1020. And yes I know mega pixels does not equal great camera quality. This phone feels more like a computer than a phone to be honest. I don't even know if I want an iPad anymore.

There are only a few minor things Ive noticed. The suggested texts when you type are not as good as on windows phone. It was like always right there on suggesting what I wanted to type next. Also that you can't lock the rotation on landscape.

Overall I feel like I have gone 10 years in the future with this phone. It's the first time not having a Nokia phone and it was the right choice. I bought the plus with 128gb if anyone is wondering. Wrote this whole post on the iPhone too. Writing about as fast as I do on the computer.

Last edited:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I know how you feel. When I switched to the Apple ecosystem everything changed for me. I was much more productive both at home and at work.

Be careful though, Apple devices tend to multiply very quickly. I started out with the iPhone but ended up with the iPad, iMac, Macbook Pro, Time Capsule, Apple TV, and the list goes on and on. LOL :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
There are only a few minor things Ive noticed. The suggested texts when you type are not as good as on windows phone. It was like always right there on suggesting what I wanted to type next.

For what it's worth: This should improve over time. The phone keep a running dictionary of words you type frequently and their context, so the prediction will get better as you use it more.

Overall I feel like I have gone 10 years in the future with this phone. It's the first time not having a Nokia phone and it was the right choice. I bought the plus with 128gb if anyone is wondering. Wrote this whole post on the iPhone too. Writing about as fast as I do on the computer.

Congratulations! :) Glad you're enjoying your new phone. :)

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I know how you feel. When I switched to the Apple ecosystem everything changed for me. I was much more productive both at home and at work.

Be careful though, Apple devices tend to multiply very quickly. I started out with the iPhone but ended up with the iPad, iMac, Macbook Pro, Time Capsule, Apple TV, and the list goes on and on. LOL :)
Haha! Well I want to buy the upcoming thunderbolt display as well as an ipod nano for the gym since I don't wanna bring my 6+ in there. Apple TV I never really understood the point of seeing as all tv's now are smart tv's.
In two years when you are ready to upgrade to your next iPhone, this old one will still be fast and fluent, something I didn't notice with the androids I owned previously.
I've had my macbook pro now for a year and it's just like when I bought it. Just as fast and everything! Windows computers would always lose so much performance after a year regardless if I played games on it or not. I used to be one of those "apple is overrated, apple is overpriced, apple is trash etc" people when I was younger but then I bought the macbook and was just like wow. In my opinion they are not overpriced at all.

Thanks everyone. Feels good to be a part of the team! :D

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
The best phone ever made is the phone that works and does what you want it to. Regardless of the name, size, weight, etc.

As other have mentioned, one of the greatest things about getting a new phone is learning how to use it. There are so many options available to you now, its unlikely you'll manage to use them all. :D

The biggest thing for my family is the iDevice (iPhone, AppleTV, iMac, etc) ecosystem and its security. Once you get it set up to your preference, you'll soon find out how things are much easier for your family. Such as sharing music, or apps, books, audiobooks, movies, etc.

But one of the best things about being new to the iPhone, is when you have a valid question you can come here to MacRumors and ask. You're most likely to have an answer in a short amount of time.
:apple:

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I have another complaint... THERE ARE SO MANY APPS TO DOWNLOAD! :D It seems like every store i visit and every service etc I use is on iPhone.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Apple TV I never really understood the point of seeing as all tv's now are smart tv's.
With my experience, Smart TV's are a pain in the ass to use. The Apple TV (and the ROKU box for that matter) are quick and responsive and a much better deployment for the delivery of streaming services. The Apple TV also has things on it that you won't find on a Smart TV (like special event videos).

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
With my experience, Smart TV's are a pain in the ass to use. The Apple TV (and the ROKU box for that matter) are quick and responsive and a much better deployment for the delivery of streaming services. The Apple TV also has things on it that you won't find on a Smart TV (like special event videos).

Yeah I guess you are right. The LG smart tv in our household ain't the fastest and it can crash sometimes too. It's running Android as far as I know so not surprising ;) I just feel like it may be a bit unnecessary to have both though. Will have to see in the future. Won't buy a TV in years since I never watch tv anyways. All I would use it for would be a game console which I hope I can use the next Thunderbolt screen for!

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
bb defector

I have had one bb model after the other for as long as I can remember

I will be reclaiming my soul from RIM & be jumping ship from bb10 when my 6+ lands in my palms (1st ever iPhone) 64GB SG;)

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Haha! Well I want to buy the upcoming thunderbolt display as well as an ipod nano for the gym since I don't wanna bring my 6+ in there. Apple TV I never really understood the point of seeing as all tv's now are smart tv's.

Because the apps smart tv's come with are crap and the tvs tend to crash a lot if you use their apps. We have an LG smart tv with the Netflix app (and other apps).

I always turn on one of my playstations to use the apps on them because they are a helluva lot better and more stable than the tv. I mean I quickly abandoned the tv's apps soon as I got a playstation because it was such a large difference that it wasn't even worth bothering with the tv's apps (there are better features on the PS app and it doesn't crash the tv half the time).

Smart tvs are over rated (for the "smart" part). Even if you get a smart tv you are better off getting some other device for the apps. I'd never buy one cause it was a smart tv (only if it had a good screen and 3d as I do like 3d).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.