Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chromez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Hello everyone!

I know there are existing articles on the internet about adding RAM to your Imac but i'm not feeling 100% sure yet to buy the specific RAM for my Imac so i thought i'd ask this in here with a specific question.

I have a 21,5 Imac from mid 2010 with 4GB RAM. So i checked the Memory specifications Apple website and i searched on the net for Memory to add so it matches with the right speed etc.

So my specific question is, can i add an extra 8GB Ram ( 4gb+4gb from whatever Brand) to my existing 4GB which is 2+2gb in each slot? So my slots look like this: 2gb 2gb (brand from apple) 4gb 4gb (other brand)

1. Is it possible to add another brand in there? Or do i have to take out the standard apple Ram out?
2. Do i need to match sizes of Ram so all 4 slots have the same size of Ram? Or is it important to have the same size in each 2 slots only?

If this is all correct, would it be possible to buy and add this exact memory in my 2 slots? http://www.mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/7138/corsair-sodimm-ddr3-1333-8gb-2x4gb#specificaties And is the 1.5V correct and it's also saying Type module: Notebook? (sorry it's in Dutch, because i live in The Netherlands)

Sorry for my long post/question but i really want to sure i'm not creating any problems. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Hello everyone!

I know there are existing articles on the internet about adding RAM to your Imac but i'm not feeling 100% sure yet to buy the specific RAM for my Imac so i thought i'd ask this in here with a specific question.

I have a 21,5 Imac from mid 2010 with 4GB RAM. So i checked the Memory specifications Apple website and i searched on the net for Memory to add so it matches with the right speed etc.

So my specific question is, can i add an extra 8GB Ram ( 4gb+4gb from whatever Brand) to my existing 4GB which is 2+2gb in each slot? So my slots look like this: 2gb 2gb (brand from apple) 4gb 4gb (other brand)

1. Is it possible to add another brand in there? Or do i have to take out the standard apple Ram out?
2. Do i need to match sizes of Ram so all 4 slots have the same size of Ram? Or is it important to have the same size in each 2 slots only?

If this is all correct, would it be possible to buy and add this exact memory in my 2 slots? http://www.mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/7138/corsair-sodimm-ddr3-1333-8gb-2x4gb#specificaties And is the 1.5V correct and it's also saying Type module: Notebook? (sorry it's in Dutch, because i live in The Netherlands)

Sorry for my long post/question but i really want to sure i'm not creating any problems. Thanks in advance!!

1) brand doesnt matter.
2) no, yes.

yes, you can buy that exact ram and you will have 12gb ram then (i checked the specs of your mid 2010 21.5" imac and the ram.).

Chromez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
1) brand doesnt matter.
2) no, yes.

yes, you can buy that exact ram and you will have 12gb ram then (i checked the specs of your mid 2010 21.5" imac and the ram.).

Awesome! Thanks for your reply, now i can go and order :)

Now i don't want to be annoying with questions but i'd thought i'd rather ask another one here then to make another separate thread:

My brother bought himself a new Imac 27'' so it's a Late 2013 model and he has standard 8gb RAM, and this RAM has of course other specs, i did a search and i came up with this one: http://www.mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/9618/corsair-sodimm-ddr3-1600-16gb-2x8gb#specificaties

Is this one compatible in his last 2 slots for his Late 2013 Imac 27'' i7 8 Gb ram ?

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
Awesome! Thanks for your reply, now i can go and order :)

Now i don't want to be annoying with questions but i'd thought i'd rather ask another one here then to make another separate thread:

My brother bought himself a new Imac 27'' so it's a Late 2013 model and he has standard 8gb RAM, and this RAM has of course other specs, i did a search and i came up with this one: http://www.mycom.nl/componenten/geheugen/9618/corsair-sodimm-ddr3-1600-16gb-2x8gb#specificaties

Is this one compatible in his last 2 slots for his Late 2013 Imac 27'' i7 8 Gb ram ?

yes that's correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.