Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Excuse my ignorance but how does Apple get away with being able to offer over the air updates and Google would have to wait for carrier approval? Does Apple need Verizon or AT&T to approve their updates too?

Do you think we will see one SKU for the Nexus 6 and OTA updates as quickly as Apple offers them?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple does not allow the carriers to make any modifications to the iphone. Pretty much every single android phone has bloat on it from the carriers. The carriers get to update that bloat before the public gets their hands on it.

Also apple is both the hardware and software supplier. Not only do android phones have carrier bloat, but there are quite a few different OEMs who also get the update first.

I think all of the nexus 6's will remain unharmed by the carriers (the nexus 5 was sold on tmobile and sprint bloat free and got updated immediately). The only carrier I could see adding things is verizon.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im only wonder, if you do hate so much carrier bloatware, why do you keep buying them?? i live in eu, and all my stuff is free from carriers. i would never buy a phone stuffed by a carrier or tied up...

and yes, they go back and forth between carriers, google and manufacturer before you get an ota update.. basicly, it is all up to you. if you allow, they will surely use it... most people probably just dont care, so you cant do much more than complain.. sadly..

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
That is one thing Apple did right: got the carriers out of our phones.

Google updates Android and then there is a wait for Samsung (et al) to update it for their phones. When Samsung is done it is now time to wait for the carriers.

But that doesn't tell the whole story: Google DOES update, via the Play Store, many core functions and apps of Android. And, yes, over-the-air. Things like the Play Store itself, for example. You don't wait for the Google-OEM-Carrier cycle to get that update--or a myriad of other things that are apart of Android.

Finally, even the Google-OEM-Carrier cycle has been getting better. My Note 4, a two-year-old device from AT&T, is updated to KitKat 4.4.2--not quite the latest but just about (and will likely have 4.4.4). My girlfriend's S3 also has it. And there are no features intentionally locked out: like Apple does. Quick example of that is no Siri on the iPhone 4. Google doesn't seem to do that.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
im only wonder, if you do hate so much carrier bloatware, why do you keep buying them?? i live in eu, and all my stuff is free from carriers. i would never buy a phone stuffed by a carrier or tied up...

and yes, they go back and forth between carriers, google and manufacturer before you get an ota update.. basicly, it is all up to you. if you allow, they will surely use it... most people probably just dont care, so you cant do much more than complain.. sadly..

If you live in North America, you will find that for most people, it is not obvious how you can buy a phone without any carrier bloat and unlocked. They make it very easy and attractive to people to buy carrier branded phones. Since you don't live in North America, I'll explain what it is like in Canada.

If you go to a mall or any shopping area, you will find a lot of carrier stores. The main ones in Canada are Rogers, Bell and Telus. If you know little or nothing about buying a phone, the easiest thing for you to do is just go to one of these stores where they display a bunch of phones and buy one. All of these phones have carrier bloat and are locked ot the carrier.

Now, there are also other mobile or electronic stores like Wireless Wave and Best Buy. They display a bunch of phones. However, if you will find that almost all of these phones have carrier bloat and are locked to a carrier. The last time I checked, the only unlocked phones are the ones that suck and are very old.

The carrier locked phones are also heavily subsidised. You will find them to be hundreds of dollars cheaper if you buy them on contract. For phones that are several hundred dollars, it is very attractive to get them on contract with the carrier. Phones on contract will have carrier bloat and will be locked to the carrier.

If you look at all of the advertising, it is extremely rare to see an ad for a phone plan without the cost of the phone. You really have to search and ask for plans where you bring your own phone.

For most people, the main channels where you would typically buy a phone do not have options to get a phone that is unlocked, let alone have no carrier bloat. The cost of getting a phone on contract is very attractive compared to buying one outright. For these reasons, many people just get phones with carrier bloat on contract.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Apple does not allow the carriers to make any modifications to the iphone. Pretty much every single android phone has bloat on it from the carriers. The carriers get to update that bloat before the public gets their hands on it.

Also apple is both the hardware and software supplier. Not only do android phones have carrier bloat, but there are quite a few different OEMs who also get the update first.

I think all of the nexus 6's will remain unharmed by the carriers (the nexus 5 was sold on tmobile and sprint bloat free and got updated immediately). The only carrier I could see adding things is verizon.

Plenty of Android phones are available with no carrier affiliation.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Excuse my ignorance but how does Apple get away with being able to offer over the air updates and Google would have to wait for carrier approval? Does Apple need Verizon or AT&T to approve their updates too?

Do you think we will see one SKU for the Nexus 6 and OTA updates as quickly as Apple offers them?

I bought my Moto X direct from Motorola and unbranded, so it was free of any carrier bloat. Had to wait for Motorola to send out the update though.

Nexus devices are bloat free. In fact, the Nexus 6 is being sold by the carriers the exact same way as the iPhone. No carrier bloat and Google does the OTA's. The carriers have zero involvement.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012

I agree - this is likely a US-only problem where the carriers have a death grip on their customers that is beyond belief when viewed from the outside.

I have never had any cell phone with any bloatware whatsoever pre-installed - no matter if it has been a 'sponsored' phone where you have to stay with the carrier for 12-24 months or a phone without any restrictions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.