Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:19 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Does Dell beat MacBook Pro on price?

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Does Dell beat MacBook Pro on price?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:22 AM   #2
BakedBeans
Banned

Backs up my point i made in the other thread - i did the same thing....
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3
SpaceMagic
macrumors 68000

I take back what i said on the other thread... MacBook Pros are worth every penny.
SpaceMagic is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:30 AM   #4
shrimpdesign
macrumors 6502a

I hate all those people in the other thread who just believed the "1000 dollars more" lie. What a bunch of sheep.

The fact remains: when you upgrade that Dell to (or close to) the MacBook Pro, the price difference is minimal. That guy jsut wrote that article and waited for the lasrgest Dell coupon he could call Apple a worse deal. What a load of $#!t. ESPECIALLY since Apple upgraded them today!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:37 AM   #5
iPhil
macrumors 68030

Location: A$$hat free location,and helping Mac bring back teh sexy-ness era back
Send a message via AIM to iPhil
Even the Dell (DULL) is $1k cheaper it's still looking stupid..

I would pay $1K more the apple style/OS/working system without crashes and BSODS

stupid = c%#ppy
iPhil is online now   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Josh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpdesign
I hate all those people in the other thread who just believed the "1000 dollars more" lie. What a bunch of sheep.
There's humor in that statment...oh, there's humor.

Reading the other thread about the MBP and the Dell basicly boils down to "looks" and "design" being worth the $1000.

Do you buy your laptop for others to look at, or for you to use?

This is a rhetorical question obviously, as the other thread certainly cleared things up.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:46 AM   #7
shrimpdesign
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
There's humor in that statment...oh, there's humor.

Reading the other thread about the MBP and the Dell basicly boils down to "looks" and "design" being worth the $1000.

Do you buy your laptop for others to look at, or for you to use?

This is a rhetorical question obviously, as the other thread certainly cleared things up.
So there are Apple sheep too. Better to be a sheep of a quality company rather than some hack at an online zine.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:47 AM   #8
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

Dude youre getting a Dell!

Dude youre getting customer service!

In almost EVERY FACET of the electronics world, you get what you pay for, EVERY TIME.

A similar computer for a cheaper price than someone else is telling you something about it.

What that is, is up to the buyer to find out!
Sdashiki is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Seasought
macrumors 65816

The price issue is significant and it's a big factor (or reason) why potential switchers don't switch. Throw the word "coupon" or "rebate" out there and people latch onto it. It tends to sway favor.

Dell tends to push "deals" more than Apple. Dell will throw in a free printer, camera, lunchbox, whatever all the time throughout the build process. Apple has deals and discounts but it isn't always peppered all over the store site or the main page so people who aren't serious about investigating overlook it.

In the end it boils down to what you're used to, what you like and what you believe you need for your computing needs. The price is either justified to the individual or it's not, period.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:36 PM   #10
seemiles
macrumors newbie

a true comparison?

Hi, Just been amusing myself reading the replies to the article, where apple seemed to get a pasting. Surely though, for a FAIR comparison, they should compare pricing on a quality PC notebook, like...um...er....um...maybe Sony Vaio...? (joke-from what I am led to believe these are nice quality notebooks) which would see the price difference minimise, before even taking into consideration the quality of OS. It just seems as though they are comparing a Kia car to a BMW, and saying the Kia is better than the BMW, they should at least compare the PC equivilent of a BMW.

To answer the headline question, yes Dell does beat MacBook Pro on price, But does Kia beat BMW in quality?.....

It will be interesting to see how much the ibooks come in at :P
seemiles is offline   0
Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Seasought
macrumors 65816

Surely though, for a FAIR comparison, they should compare pricing on a quality PC notebook

Do those exist?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 05:47 PM   #12
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemiles
... like...um...er....um...maybe Sony Vaio...? (joke-from what I am led to believe these are nice quality notebooks)
Sony equipment is great until something breaks one week after the warrantee expires. Then they will charge you more than 50% of the original purchase price to fix trivial problems and their own design defects.

And this isn't just with their computers. It's a problem with everything Sony manufactures. They wanted to charge me $80 for a pair of plastic hinges for the dust cover of my turntable, when the whole unit only costs $120!
Old Feb 14, 2006, 06:07 PM   #13
sjk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasought
Dell will throw in a free printer, camera, lunchbox, ...
Lunchboxes are cool... but not with photos of the Dell Dude on 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
And this isn't just with their computers. It's a problem with everything Sony manufactures. They wanted to charge me $80 for a pair of plastic hinges for the dust cover of my turntable, when the whole unit only costs $120!
Ha, déjà vu! Same story here, years ago... for whatever $80 was at the time.
sjk is offline   0
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:31 AM   #14
solvs
macrumors 601

Yep, this is the same link I posted in that other thread that no one else read. Well, one guy. Pretty much moot now anyway.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion