Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realph

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Really wished I hadn't splashed out on the nMP and picked up a Retina iMac instead. Apple really knows how to annoy.

You've got the display sorted, just give us a Thunderbolt refresh to keep both sides happy.

jakesaunders27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I just don't get why they don't release one? They have a full computer in a thinner body than the current TBD with a higher resolution display, is it really that hard to just take the computer out?

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Interesting to say the least - New Mini with TB2 and yet, the display option in the store is an Antique with USB2 and Firewire! The new Mini doesn't even have firewire this time.

Of course, if you top out an i7 Mini and buy a TB monitor, you're still well under the cost of a 27 iMac with equal power, so there's that. Still .... ?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I agreed that is very strange the lack of TB display update.
Apple could be selling tons of 5k for Pro users using their MacPro's. This one is a head scratcher.

The funny thing they use a professional photographer of that caliber using an iMac. While I understand the marketing implications, most guy like that have a MacPro.

Well, I guess we have to wait. :(

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just wanted a 4K 24" display for my 2013 rMBP! Only the Mac Pro and the new iMac can drive 5K I think.

I'm bitterly disappointed!

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
The biggest issue is that Thunderbolt 2 can't drive a 5K display with only 1 cable, it needs two. Thunderbolt 3/DisplayPort 1.3 will be able to drive a 5K display with only 1 cable. Apple will probably announce a new thunderbolt display alongside TB 3.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
The biggest issue is that Thunderbolt 2 can't drive a 5K display with only 1 cable, it needs two. Thunderbolt 3/DisplayPort 1.3 will be able to drive a 5K display with only 1 cable. Apple will probably announce a new thunderbolt display alongside TB 3.

If they really do that I won't be the only customer who's super mad because we just bought a brand new mac pro which can't connect to a proper apple hires display.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
seriously considering Retina iMac plus iPad Air 2. With a good solution for viewing/culling/storing raw camera files during field trips, I can drop the use of an rMBP.

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
The display always lags the iMac update. Surely they will finally upgrade this product once 5k iMac demand dies down. They've waited so long and now every component of the TBD is outdated- the case, every port, screen matting, and screen resolution. Since so many won't be able to take advantage of 5k, I would think they would produce a standard resolution version with the newer ports along with a 5k version. They could've done the cheaper version a long time ago, but I guess it's better late than ever.

I bought a new pixel perfect WQHD PLS 27" monitor for $300 with PIP, 2 hdmi, and display port in and out after waiting years for a new TBD. The standard resolution monitor from Apple will likely be way overpriced for what it is. When they first came out they were a great deal, but with quality monitor prices tanking, there's no compelling reason to pay more than triple for the Apple product. The 5k will likely be reasonable for what it is now, but with time will become overpriced as well. I don't get mad at initial Apple prices, but when they continue to sell outdated products at the same price as when they were cutting edge really gets me. $1000 for a display that every component is outdated, some components for years?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

Yeah makes sense.
The bummer part is that my 2011 MP won't be able to handle that display. So I guess this might force me into the nMP way sooner than later. Apple will be happy taking my $ again.:rolleyes:

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Los Angeles, California, USA
It's been mentioned several times around here that it looks as if Apple will have trouble procuring enough panels for the iMac in the first several months. Makes sense for them to fend off a TD display revamp in favor of securing their supply chain for iMac.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Apple isn't going to release a Thunderbolt Retina Display that needs two display cables. They'd rather wait until Thunderbolt 3 allows for that amount of data to go down one cable. Unfortunately for us, although DisplayPort 1.3 was just released, Apple doesn't incorporate new standards in DisplayPort until the Thunderbolt equivalent is released which in the case of Thunderbolt 3 is expected mid/late 2015. This is the same reason why Apple have removed Target Display Mode from the retina iMac. It's going to be a while folks.

Personally, I'd rather have a 40" 5K display though anyway.

mike3015

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
SF Bay Area
I'll never understand Apple logic. They're selling a product with Magsafe 1 and USB 2.0 without any kind of a hint as to when they'll produce an updated version. When something gets this out of date, they owe the apple community an explanation of their plan.

Just say we're getting out of the display business or we have something in the works for sometime in....

I love my rMBP but with the outdated TB display is almost embarrassing. Apple has dropped the ball on this one and is driving customers away.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.