Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InTheMist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
And, the megapixel wars just heat up.

So, if I crop my 16 MP shot to 16:9, can I even view them full screen? Wow!:eek:

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not looking to buy one of those, as none of my current cameras can fill that screen! So if I wanted to use my own shots as wallpapers, I'd have to (gasp!) upgrade the camera gear :eek:

InTheMist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Aperture

You know what's also curious? I clicked on the "buy" link just to see how much a tricked-out configuration costs, and they're still offering Aperture to bundle.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not looking to buy one of those, as none of my current cameras can fill that screen! So if I wanted to use my own shots as wallpapers, I'd have to (gasp!) upgrade the camera gear :eek:

Eh it would give me an excuse to break out my medium format gear :D I have a couple of drum scans that would look epic on a 5K display.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Really? I couldn't see mention of this. Is that at all frame rates?

well if the panel is 8-bit then yes.

the issue is banding and color depth.

not so much a big deal if your use to it but after using a Flanders or Eizo for years its hard to go back to 8-bit.

Im still considering it as a DIT workstation.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

not so much a big deal if your use to it but after using a Flanders or Eizo for years its hard to go back to 8-bit.

Yeah 8-bit is meh.....even 10-bit is a much better deal....of course these things come at extra cost but still. I would have preferred a 3840x2400 panel at 10-bit but then I guess I can just buy a third party monitor...

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Why would you consider it? Just to see full res video? Isn't the money better spent on previous gen and some proper hard drives?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Why would you consider it? Just to see full res video? Isn't the money better spent on previous gen and some proper hard drives?

There were times when a MPB wasnt cutting it (pardon the pun) on set.

If it was up to me, it would be a nMP with an Apple 30.

This can be retrofit in my system easily.

Nothing beats 1:1 pixel with R3Ds ;)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Enticing but the res is somewhat less than I expected. 3440x1440
I am looking into this screen for the following reasons:
  • splitscreen (two 5x4)
  • compatability with mac mini, mba, rmbp at 60Hz
  • 10bit color
  • reviews said the widescreen experience is awesome
  • Very resonably priced (~800€)
  • thunderbolt connection
  • Option to daisy chain

The only disadvantage seems to be the limitied srbg color space.

There aren't many macs that comfortably support 4k screens. Also the new iMac seems to be far future tech.
Not even the nMP is capable of running a screen like that. Simply because Thunderbolt2 is not fast enough.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
High resolution displays like the new iMac are here and it's only a matter of time (a short time IMO) before they become the norm. They will be great for viewing and editing my photos and I can't wait to try it out.

Too bad we'll still be viewing the outstanding work of others at 800 px wide on sites like MacRumors.

~ Peter

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
10bit is for windows only, OSX don't do 10Bit regardless of what monitor you buy.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
High resolution displays like the new iMac are here and it's only a matter of time (a short time IMO) before they become the norm. They will be great for viewing and editing my photos and I can't wait to try it out.

Too bad we'll still be viewing the outstanding work of others at 800 px wide on sites like MacRumors.

~ Peter
You are obviously right.
The thing is that the majority of people are just getting used to 1080p.
I didn't upgrade my TV to 1080p until last year. And I am now considering an additional more high res display. Most people I know have screens with less than 1080p.

4k, 5k and 8k will be the future, no doubt, but they also require all new hardware and faster internet. My estimate is that it will take a decade for the masses of consumers to catch up with 4k. The 5k iMac on the other hand is a novelty. There is no 5k tb display because tb2 is too slow!! That means not even the nMP could run one at this point.

:apple: is innovating and far, far ahead of it's time as usual. If you want to jump on that wagon you have to:
1. Move to one of the few areas in the world with high speed internet
2. Sell your organs to be able to afford the newest tech

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Eizo used a lot of 8 bit panels where processing was carried out at a higher bit depth in spite of the underlying hardware only accepting an 8 bit signal. Banding is an issue. When you say color depth, do you mean gamut? I ask because gamut is independent of bit depth. It's just that you could face greater banding issues across a wider gamut.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
If you count display pixels the same way as camera pixels, this screen is a 44 megapixel display! Only the layout is different, rgb instead of bayer.

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
He means that each pixel in a display has red, green and blue as opposed to most cameras that have a luminance sensor with a Bayer filter in front of it and then interpolate the results on the back end. I'm not sure the two are entirely equivalent, but it is something to think about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.