Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Well.....I guess the time has come. My MacbookPro has officially died for reasons unknown. I put it to sleep then came to open it the next day and it didn't turn on. Of course I knew it was because it only had 14% left on the battery so all it needs is a charge, right? Nope, plugged in the MagSafe and still nothing. I let it charge and still nothing. There's no sign of life besides the battery light and the MagSafe lights.

I opened it up and the connections are all perfect. No corrosion or anything around the magsafe plug and also the power cable from the battery to the logic board is fine. Im not sure what to do at this point. Shameon me for bragging about a 5 year old laptop running perfectly :(

Here's is what I know:

- Brand new battery, charges, and indicator lights are accurate
- MagSafe also brand new and lights up properly
- SMC reset does not work
- Logic board appears to be in perfect shape

Can anyone shed any light? I knew this day was inevitable but I just cant believe it would die suddenly without any notice. Also, if I take it to a genius sill they be able to diagnose it since it's such outdated hardware?

Wrenkin

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Mine died exactly the same way a few weeks ago. I took of the cover and tried to manually start it by shorting the power pads but no response. On top of that the drive died when I took it out and tried to download the contents on to my other mac :rolleyes: At least I had Crashplan.

I'm also unsure what to do next. It's probably not worth it to buy anything in an attempt to fix it, but it's annoying since it's still good enough to run Yosemite.

One detail: Even when the battery is charging the MagSafe light stays green.

Wrenkin

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Mine is actually a late 2008 model, with a 9400m/9600m video card. I'm aware of the earlier model's issue.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Mine died exactly the same way a few weeks ago. I took of the cover and tried to manually start it by shorting the power pads but no response. On top of that the drive died when I took it out and tried to download the contents on to my other mac :rolleyes: At least I had Crashplan.

I'm also unsure what to do next. It's probably not worth it to buy anything in an attempt to fix it, but it's annoying since it's still good enough to run Yosemite.

One detail: Even when the battery is charging the MagSafe light stays green.

Mine will sometimes stay green even when it's charging....but an SMC reset will bring it back to normal. I find it weird that the power is working fine but the logic board could be dead? I took my mbp apart and the battery is plugged into the logic board (as well as the magsafe)

There was an issue with the 2008 MacBook Pros with the Nvidia cards failing and yes you would get the same symptoms you're having. Apple in conjunction with Nvidia started a recall program to replace the logic boards for free but that program has been over for two years now. Go to an Apple store and try your luck, just don't have any expectations.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

As wrenkin stated I don't have this model of graphics card. But if it was the graphics card wouldn't it at least turn on? Regardless I am going to take it to the Apple Store. Would they still diagnose it out of warranty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.