Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
The cellular radio technology on recent iPads has been identical between the various models, but we've all had to buy an "AT&T iPad" or "Sprint iPad." There are ways to make a Sprint iPad work on T-Mobile by swapping SIM cards and so on, but some combinations never worked.

The iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 now ship with an Apple SIM. Per Apple's website, you'll be able to subscribe to service from multiple carriers with a single device and SIM. It looks like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint all support it in the U.S.

An unanswered question: What of Verizon? Presumably Verizon is continuing with its ESN whitelisting practice, which means you have to buy a "Verizon iPad" with a Verizon SIM pre-installed. Can you buy a Verizon iPad to preserve flexibility, then swap in an Apple SIM to gain access to the other three carriers?

29vzatf.png

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
The cellular radio technology on recent iPads has been identical between the various models, but we've all had to buy an "AT&T iPad" or "Sprint iPad." There ways to make a Sprint iPad work on T-Mobile by swapping SIM cards and so on, but some combinations never worked.

The iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 now ship with an Apple SIM. Per Apple's website, you'll be able to subscribe to service from multiple carriers with a single device and SIM. It looks like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint all support it in the U.S.

An unanswered question: What of Verizon? Presumably Verizon is continuing with its ESN whitelisting practice, which means you have to buy a "Verizon iPad" with a Verizon SIM pre-installed. Can you buy a Verizon iPad to preserve flexibility, then swap in an Apple SIM to gain access to the other three carriers?

Actually the unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 works on Verizon. It seems they're letting go of the ESN issue.

My guess would be the FCC is making Verizon open its LTE network based on the 700 mhz purchase, and Verizon figures if they have to let the devices on LTE anyway, might as well open up the CDMA network for calls.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Found this:
iPad can also connect to the Internet using a fast cellular connection when Wi-Fi isn’t available. So you can stay connected on the train, at the park, or on a road trip. You can buy an iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular model without a contract and purchase cellular service separately. The Wi-Fi + Cellular model comes with an Apple SIM card preinstalled. The Apple SIM lets you choose from a selection of short-term cellular data plans — from carriers like AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile* — that can be turned on for a day, week, or month. If you’re a Verizon customer, you’ll need to visit a Verizon store to get your SIM. You can activate the Apple SIM whenever you want so that you have cellular data service when you need it for the length of time you need it. And if you’re traveling to countries where there are carriers that support the Apple SIM, such as the UK, you may have the option to connect to a local carrier while you’re there. Contact your carrier for more information.

That makes it sound like, at least in the US, there's going to be a single LTE model, and all of them will support all 4 US carriers.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Found this:

That makes it sound like, at least in the US, there's going to be a single LTE model, and all of them will support all 4 US carriers.

Yup. Though I bet if you buy your iPad at the Verizon Store they'll have Verizon SIMs ready to go. If you buy thru Apple, you'll have to get your hands on a Verizon SIM another way.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Yup. Though I bet if you buy your iPad at the Verizon Store they'll have Verizon SIMs ready to go. If you buy thru Apple, you'll have to get your hands on a Verizon SIM another way.

It sounds like the "other way" will be just showing up at a Verizon store and asking for one. Historically Verizon has made it hard to get a SIM, and people have had to buy them on eBay and such. Seems that may be over, at least if you show up with an iPad Air 2 or Mini 3.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Actually the unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 works on Verizon. It seems they're letting go of the ESN issue.

My guess would be the FCC is making Verizon open its LTE network based on the 700 mhz purchase, and Verizon figures if they have to let the devices on LTE anyway, might as well open up the CDMA network for calls.
Nah, they still haven't let go of the ESN/MEID issue. You still can't activate service on a non-Verizon iPhone 6 /6+ or on last generation iPads. Besides, that SIM loophole has probably been there since the 700MHz spectrum purchase. The issue was lack of compatible devices. I think the first non-Verizon branded, SIM-based device that can actually be used on Verizon's network was the iPad Air and iPad rMini.

This year, it looks like Apple's submitting all the MEIDs for the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3 to Verizon and Sprint for whitelisting which is definitely good for us consumers. Hopefully, Apple will do the same for iPhones next year.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is available in the UK and USA only, right?
The Apple SIM only works with AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint in the USA and EE in the UK at launch. Carriers in other countries have the option to hop aboard. I do hope both Smart and Globe PH decide to join (as well as carriers in other countries). This would be a boon to travelers since there would be no need to hunt for a SIM card in the country you're traveling to. Just sign up for a plan directly on the iPad and you're good to go. :p

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Knowing Verizon and their practices, it doesn't surprise me in the least how they would choose not to participate in this.

MasterChat

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014
Philippines
The Apple SIM only works with AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint in the USA and EE in the UK at launch. Carriers in other countries have the option to hop aboard. I do hope both Smart and Globe PH decide to join (as well as carriers in other countries). This would be a boon to travelers since there would be no need to hunt for a SIM card in the country you're traveling to. Just sign up for a plan directly on the iPad and you're good to go. :p

I agree with you on how convenient the Apple sim would be for travelers. I'm also positive Globe and Smart will be on board.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
tmobile free data

Does anyone know if the apple sim works with the tmobile free data?

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Does anyone know if the apple sim works with the tmobile free data?

No, no one knows. There may be a better deal in the works, though:
T-Mobile, which has been aggressively going after phone customers by eliminating contracts and paying early termination fees, is planning to use the opening to go after tablet customers as well. The company plans a limited-time offer for buyers of the new iPads of 5 gigabytes of data that can be used over five months for $10.
(http://online.wsj.com/articles/appl...rd-that-lets-users-swap-data-plans-1413570034)

It's unclear if it's $10 per month or $10 total for five months, but 5GB that can be used over five months is a sweet deal. I'd pay $50 for that.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.