Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I just pulled the trigger on a new Retina iMac. I even added the memory in the order, I was going to search for it but did not want the hassle. I had the money so I bought it.

Attachments

• Order_Retina_Mac.jpg
    Order_Retina_Mac.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4,698
Last edited:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I want to order one so bad but I really want to see it in store first.

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I'm right there with you...although ill be holding on to my receipt

17xR9t3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I flip flopped, buy the retina, buy the current imac now, wait until the current imac is updated. Despite my better judgement, I decided to buy the current imac now.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Just ordered the very maxed out 1tb ssd 4gb gpu amd, 32gb ram and 4ghx cpu, nice! Im so happy apple managed to do it right this time, releasing it the same day the announced it.

I do wished they would have a 8gb vram option though

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Just ordered the very maxed out 1tb ssd 4gb gpu amd, 32gb ram and 4ghx cpu, nice! Im so happy apple managed to do it right this time, releasing it the same day the announced it.

I do wished they would have a 8gb vram option though

tl21WME.jpg

looks like all three of us went for the fully spec'ed model.

what are you guys (imclovin, wizard hunt) doing with the machines mostly? I'm mostly doing photo/video editing, not much gaming but sometimes.

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK
My 27" iMac i7 3.5g m780 ssd drive only arrived yesterday, and i have to say i had no idea about the refresh to the line up today, apart from in my post about buying it so close to a refresh.

But you know what as nice as the retina display is i am pleased i got the 3.5 with 780m. I think the GPU choice is poor for the new display and no one has any idea how it will work with the new 5k chip apple have come up with.

2 generations time with new intel CPU's and the next gen on from M980 we will see the real deal that suits everyone, gamers as well. but for now this retina display release says to me if your into photography and video editing and you want 5k its the iMac for you.

for the average joe who dabbles with pics and some home movies, but also likes to game a bit the 780 is the way to go. in 2 years i will upgrade if apple goes green again with nvidia.

it will be interesting to see what the benchmarks say in weeks to come.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

what are you guys (imclovin, wizard hunt) doing with the machines mostly? I'm mostly doing photo/video editing, not much gaming but sometimes.

Yeah, I would really regret it if I didnt max it out. I mean such a beautiful machine with such an amazing display, I want it to hold standards at least a couple of years.

90% of what Im doing is photoshop, after effects and Unity 3D. and some video editing in premiere, indesign, etc...but 90% is Photoshop and after effects. And after effects just got retina so this is freekin awesome timing.
Im not playing much games either, just Leagu of Legends, but thats not why Im buying a machine, so I dont care if LoL will look bad on the retina screen downscaled.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
4.0 GHZ (woah), 16GB RAM, 1TB flash, Radeon M295X and this all started due to me being interesting in a $1500 iMac ;)

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I do mostly video and Photo work and this will give me so much more working space with good graphics that I am excited and can't wait to get it. :cool:

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, I would really regret it if I didnt max it out. I mean such a beautiful machine with such an amazing display, I want it to hold standards at least a couple of years.

90% of what Im doing is photoshop, after effects and Unity 3D. and some video editing in premiere, indesign, etc...but 90% is Photoshop and after effects. And after effects just got retina so this is freekin awesome timing.
Im not playing much games either, just Leagu of Legends, but thats not why Im buying a machine, so I dont care if LoL will look bad on the retina screen downscaled.

yeah mostly FCPX and PS/LR for me about 50/50..and then some starcraft when I'm all alone and no one is around =)

but I'm coming from a macbook air 2012 hooked up to a Apple display, so the performance difference is going to be outrageous...hopefully lol

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What I don't get is why they don't offer a desktop class GPU? I mean, we're talking more pixels than have ever been on any screen EVER here.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
they wouldn't offer a desktop gpu due to the heat dissipation I think?

I've made and canceled about 5 orders... but I'm done... only thing I didn't max out is the memory because you can upgrade that later

Thoir

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
Where can you get those retina iMacs.. I only see the iMac with retina 5k displays on the store... ;)

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Can the 5K iMac ram be upgraded at a later date? i.e. has anyone seen anything to suggest it has the little upgrade door on the rear like the other 27's have had in the past?

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Can the 5K iMac ram be upgraded at a later date? i.e. has anyone seen anything to suggest it has the little upgrade door on the rear like the other 27's have had in the past?

On the Apple site now, you can view the specs of the new iMac with 5K Retina display and it states that it is configurable to 16GB and to 32GB so no problem in that department.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
However, I wish they would have put 4 thunderbolt 2 ports in instead of only 2.
Its so hard to find peripherals with TB2 ports where they have more than one on the back of each peripheral. Oh well. Until they come out with a cheap TB switch box if that is even possible.

----------

any idea when it will be on amazon.com?

Not sure when they will have them. You could always email amazon and they will give you a estimate I am sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.