Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Before I update I just wanted to make sure If i will still have access to bootcamp or do I have to wait for another update?

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
I've installed all the public betas and my Bootcamp partition remained available throughout.

Cool. Thanks your quick reply. Can't wait to download it. It's funny I actually would rather have 8.1 today and Yosemite on Monday. Too many issues with iOS 8.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Bootcamp is nothing more than a set of drivers and partitioning tool. Mac hardware can natively run Windows, you don't even need OS X installed. The ability to run Windows comes from the BIOS emulator which is part of the firmware.

AKA, as long as the upgrade doesn't screw up the partitions (assuming OS X and Windows are on the same hard drive) nothing will change.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Bootcamp is nothing more than a set of drivers and partitioning tool. Mac hardware can natively run Windows, you don't even need OS X installed. The ability to run Windows comes from the BIOS emulator which is part of the firmware.

AKA, as long as the upgrade doesn't screw up the partitions (assuming OS X and Windows are on the same hard drive) nothing will change.

Thanks for clearing that up. This is my first macbook. Got it less than 2 months ago. I had a feeling it was that way, but just wanted to make sure before I updated.

Garussell

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
Before I update I just wanted to make sure If i will still have access to bootcamp or do I have to wait for another update?

i just updated my macbook from mavericks to yosemite. i had windows 7 on bootcamp installed before the update the only problem i had was the tap to click options on the windows side was missing? otherwise i didn't have any problems

bharat1236

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Bootcamp Works Great after updates

I just finished installation of Yosemiti and first thing I checked, if bootcamp works or not. It completely works as before ,so no worries. just I made sure that I had chosen my mac partition for new installation and thats it. :)

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
I've run all the Developer Previews, and currently the full release version. On Bootcamp I've run Windows 8.1, and currently Windows 10. Bootcamp isn't dependent in any way on Yosemite. Nothing you change on the Mac partition will effect drivers/options in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.