Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoLeafsGo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Honestly I was super pumped for the rumor there would be multitasking and more than 1 gig of ram on the iPad Air 2, but the keynote covered neither. Does that mean my dreams are busted or are they just not talking about it yet/ that info will come at a later date?

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
Pretty much confirmed.

MacRumours said:
A 1GB Elpida chip would have an "8" in the second character slot, while a 2GB chip would have an "A" in the same spot. Because of the quality of the image, it is difficult to say for certain what the character is, but it does appear to be an "A" rather than an "8" given that it is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom.

Ef3mHm5.jpg

Just beside the A8X
bL2dff9.jpg

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
For RAM we'll see it when the iPad Air 2 is out. As for multitasking you are confusing the "iPad Pro" with the Air.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Honestly I was super pumped for the rumor there would be multitasking and more than 1 gig of ram on the iPad Air 2, but the keynote covered neither. Does that mean my dreams are busted or are they just not talking about it yet/ that info will come at a later date?

Yeah, they didn't cover RAM specs in their keynote. That is so strange. Something they've always done before they somehow skipped it this time... :rolleyes:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I noticed the keynote this time just didn't have the enthusiasm like prior years. I'm not talking about news of the products but in the delivery from Tim and the other 2 guys. I think they are getting into a rut in their delivery and their losing the momentum. Especially the last guy who talked about the iPads, it was like he was just going through the motions. Did anyone else notice this? Maybe it's because the audience was small?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Yeah, so it's weird they didn't do it again today.

It's so weird that they didn't want people booing when they say 'And your programs will be crashing even MORE often since we're too cheap to upgrade past 1 gb'?

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I wouldn't either if I came out with a product in late 2014 sporting 2012 specs.

Can't tell if your comment is just willful ignorance or underlying stupidity.

If you seriously think that the Air 2 is "under-specced", you don't understand the first thing about computer hardware.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
Or maybe if you know its not about specs anymore. Thats 1990's thinking.

Then go use a 486, tell us how it is to surf the web (If you can hack a program to let you go online using text on a dial up modem) and let us know how it is.

All of this is ironic considering how you are kissing ass to a company that bragged about 64 bit cpus...

----------

If you seriously think that the Air 2 is "under-specced", you don't understand the first thing about computer hardware.

If it has 1 gb ram it's under specced.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Or maybe if you know its not about specs anymore. Thats 1990's thinking.

I get your point, but, technology devices will always be about specs. It's how their made, how they function. An increase in specs is always touted by Apple when they have something to brag about. Take a look at the iMac announcement, lots of numbers, lots of that. They don't talk about the RAM because they know it's a bad selling point to advertise 1GB RAM at this point in the life of the line. What about them bragging about 64-bit architecture?

An iPad having 1 GB RAM heading into 2015 is inexcusable. Many apps have lagged and have been consequences of crashing when the more intensive programs are being used at once.

It's *fine* because some don't care, but trying to defend something like this is a little strange to me.

It kind of reminds me when the 4s still didn't have LTE. They certainly glossed right over that at that keynote.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I get your point, but, technology devices will always be about specs. It's how their made, how they function

Apple disagrees with you, and they have successfully marketed a number of technology devices without focusing on specs.

----------

Then go use a 486, tell us how it is to surf the web (If you can hack a program to let you go online using text on a dial up modem) and let us know how it is..

Why would I? I'll just buy a machine that does what I need regardless of specs. You know, like an iMac.

----------

It's just the same anti Apple trolling. You know, the company that doesn't know how to spec a machine yet sells $$$ billions. Right.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Having 2Gb of ram is needed ya know to stop safari from having to reload webpages when you have more than 4 tabs open but ya know what do i know :rolleyes:

thebucket

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Did they really? I don't recall this.. but they could have!

:confused:

No, it was pretty much like yesterday. Apple did not communicate the size of RAM in the presentation. There were rumors before and speculation after the event.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1335793/

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/live-coverage-of-apples-ipad-3-media-event/

Edit: you can find the video of the event in itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/at/podcast/apple-special-event-march/id275834665?i=111294861&mt=2

video #10 3.7.2012

As a iPad 3 buyer i remember that i hesitated to order because of the 1gb ram issue.

Anyway, as i am upgrading my iPad 3 i don't care if it has 2 GB. For me the weight is main issue

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.