Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After Apple introduced the new iPad Air 2 at its media event today, members of the press were invited to go hands-on with the new tablet. Several sites have now begun publishing their hands-on first impressions of the iPad Air 2, which we've gathered up below to provide an overall impression of the new device.

kruc7q6nmvcju4ltve2f.jpg
Image courtesy of Gizmodo
TechCrunch says that although the iPad Air 2's resolution is the same as the iPad Air, the display looks better than the previous models. By combining screen components, Apple has made "things look a lot more touchable". The effect is similar to that of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which makes the display seem like a "high resolution mock-up, rather than an actual display you can interact with and change."

ipad2007_verge_super_wide.jpg
Image courtesy of The Verge
Gizmodo notes that Apple shaving off .04 pounds and 1.4 mm from iPad Air makes the iPad Air 2 feel lighter than the smaller iPad mini 3 even though it's a quarter of a pound heavier than Apple's new 7.9-inch tablet.
Not only is it way, way thinner than the smaller iPad mini 3 -- and this will sound crazy -- but it feels lighter too. Even though it's nearly a quarter of a pound heavier, the 6.1mm-thin chassis is so thin and easy to lift with a single hand that it makes the mini seem downright fat by comparison. I feel like I could hold it over my head in bed without any worry of smacking myself. Not something I can say about any other 10-inch tablet.
The Verge has similar thoughts on the iPad Air 2's thinness, saying it feels like "there's almost nothing left to take away" and that holding the device is like "you're holding a screen and nothing more." The Verge also noted that the new 8 MP camera is much improved over the iPad Air.

One thing is that is definitively better is the new camera, which is now 8 megapixels; it's a lot faster and shots seemed a lot clearer, at least in Apple's hectic demo room. Apple made a big deal out of this camera and the interesting apps people are building for the iPad that use the camera; we've fought it for years but tablet photography seems to be a thing now.
TechCrunch shares similar sentiments about the iPad Air 2's camera, noting that the camera improvements are good enough to make some consider the tablet as a worthy camera choice.

The Verge also points out that the lack of a mute switch next to the volume rocker feels like a "casualty of thinness", and that although users can mute the device by holding down the volume-down button or lock the orientation in Control Center, the lack of the mute switch makes both things less convenient.

Pre-orders for the new iPad Air 2 begin tomorrow, October 17, and will begin shipping next week. Prices for the iPad Air 2 begin at $499 for 16 GB with Wi-Fi.

Article Link: First Hands-On Impressions of New iPad Air 2: Ultra-Thin, Improved Display, Better Camera

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So what is the end game for thinness? How long until I can fold up an iPad and stick it in my pocket?

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Even though it would be highly unlikely anyone would be able to bend one of these by accident (since it can't fit in your back pocket) I'm sure the lure of it being thinner will mean we'll see YouTube bend test videos.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Apple totally neglected the iPad mini form factor. The new one has no A8 processor, no 8 mpx camera, is not thinner, not lighter. I bet it even has the same old screen. They added only Touch ID and gold color.

Most underwhelming iPad mini update ever. :mad:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
But how much RAM does it have?

I assume 1GB because I can't find it mentioned anywhere...

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
No flash on the back camera? Then it's not improved.

A better sensor (which is obviously the case) trumps the flash 100 times. I'm a photographer for 30 years. Flashes are really for desperation times only since not even on my Canon G16, my lowest end real camera, it doesn't really look that good.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
It's really sad reading comments from bloggers like the Verge, Gizmodo and the like - even when the product is all that and a box of chocolates. I read them knowing nothing negative is going to be said or a backlash from apple will be imposed on them (no more invites, no more first looks and hand's ons).

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Really can't see this helping cure the reported market stagnation. Gave me no reason whatsoever to want to upgrade from my Air.

Better camera, seriously? In 3+ years I've not used my rear camera for anything once. I don't speak for everyone obviously, but am I alone? Doesn't feel like it.

Looking forward to more scenes like this though... :rolleyes:

1363283944-0.jpg

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why is the base only 16GB, it should be 32 by now.

Obviously Apple has data that shows for some 16 is enough and for everyone else they'll give you 64 for the price of 32. It's a bean counter move to get those in between to jump up $100 when they probably wouldn't if Apple offered 32 for the same price as 16.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The absence of the lock/mute switch kills me

Same here. I use it as a lock switch and have since day 1 with my iPad 1. I rarely have the volume up any time i'm not watching something, so it just makes more sense.

Oh well, I had my iPad one until the beginning of the year, and have no plans to upgrade my Air anytime soon. It does what I need it to do and i cannot imagine it being thinner.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
"I feel like I could hold it over my head in bed without any worry of smacking myself. Not something I can say about any other 10-inch tablet."
He can't have held any other tablets, I'm pretty sure that at least Sony and a Sammy have lighter tablets.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Apple totally neglected the iPad mini form factor. The new one has no A8 processor, no 8 mpx camera, is not thinner, not lighter. I bet it even has the same old screen. They added only Touch ID and gold color.

Most underwhelming iPad mini update ever. :mad:

If they made it any slimmer, people would confuse it with the iPhone 6 Plus. ;)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
looks like apple have dropped the split screen ****

Maybe Apple will finally stop tying iOS to hardware announcements. That would be smart. Clearly they have all they can handle fixing iOS 8 bugs. Adding split screen multitasking right now would be a nightmare, IMO. Save it for a spring event where they announce a new larger iPad "pro" device.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
So what is the end game for thinness? How long until I can fold up an iPad and stick it in my pocket?

The end game is being light enough you could hold it all day end not feel it. When its down to the weight of a Kindle Paperwhite of the same size (probably around 375g), it will have reached its goal. Right now it is at 444g. So, I'd say there's one more downsizing in its future with current battery technologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.